Alfonso de Portago real name (and funny driver names)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Good chance this was a joke by the hack writing about the event that the unsuspecting wikipedia author didn't get - there were loads of those in some magazines, I recall a Fuji sports car race which listed amongst its finishers the supposedly Japanese driver pairing of Iwanalaya/Wenyapayme! :haha:

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago Current Pro Mazda Champsionship driver... I present to you: Sting Ray Robb.
Good gosh! Don't they tell'em in the Land of the Free to keep their mouth shut while still wearing braces!!!???
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

If you look down in the notes it says that Jack Eiffeltower was a pseudonym for Jack Nougher.

The actual story is kind of interesting. He raced as Eiffeltower to get some extra publicity for his business. I found this old circa-2001 TNF post by Damon Beck (a guy who drove in the 500/1000 some times) from a racing pseudonyms thread which explains it.
Ray Bell's post of February in relation to Jack Nougher/Eiffeltower/Magic at the Bathurst enduro brought back memories of the era. Jack was (is?) a larger-than-life character who I met for the first time at Bathurst in 1969 when, with a fast solicitor friend, I co-drove a Hillman Gazelle in an unsuccessful effort to beat the Datsun 1600's (510 was the US Model number, I recall) which were the major numbers in the class. Jack and his co-driver, David O'Keefe, were at the event as visitors and offered to help us when our car was not performing up to scratch (it was bloody slow!). Being poor souls we gratefully accepted their offer. Didn't make much difference, though, as the "Guzzle" only lasted 87 laps when the head gasket went (the cylinder head hadn't been retensioned after 500 miles). Our claim to fame on the day was being the second fastest car DOWN the Mountain - only beaten by Ace Kevin Bartlett in an Alfa Romeo GTV 1600. One of the track announcers, Graham Howard, was killing time by comparing times for cars going down the Mountain and noticed we had passed a Ford GTHO on the way down and were only overtaken by it on Conrod Straight.

I digress: Jack's co-driver at all Bathurst races was the aforesaid David O'Keefe, his Sales Manager at Eiffeltower Motors in Dandenong. Jack's choice of nom de plume was indeed, as Ray iterated, to publicise his various business ventures and remain within the CAMS motorsport rules. The "Magic" name came about because, after selling his Eiffeltower Motors business (which I was working for at the time) he became a heavy in the Holiday Magic Make-up pyramid selling racket promoted by a Jeffery Hunter training film. On the strength of Jeffrey's sincere and convincing appearance I became a Holiday Magic Girl! (Make-up didn't suit me, so I gave it to my girlfriend's mother)

I am not sure if Jack is still with us, but David has remained a friend over all the years and lives in Hobart, Tasmania.

Jack's races:
1960 Simca Aronde, Phillip Island, - co-driver L Marsh;
1962 Simca Aronde, Phillip Island, co-driver not known;
1966 as Jack Nougher - Chrysler Valiant V8, Bathurst, co-driver David O'Keefe - class winner and 10th outright (Mini Cooper S's were 1st to 9th);
1967 as Jack Eiffeltower - Hillman Imp GT Bathurst, co-driver David O'Keefe;
1968 again as Jack Eiffeltower - Hillman Gazelle Bathurst, co-driver David O'Keefe - DNF;
1970 as Jack Magic BMW 2800 Bathurst co-driver David O'Keefe 7th in the Ford GTHO class.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thanks @theracer120 Interesting post. :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 years ago Good chance this was a joke by the hack writing about the event that the unsuspecting wikipedia author didn't get - there were loads of those in some magazines, I recall a Fuji sports car race which listed amongst its finishers the supposedly Japanese driver pairing of Iwanalaya/Wenyapayme! :haha:

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago Current Pro Mazda Champsionship driver... I present to you: Sting Ray Robb.
Good gosh! Don't they tell'em in the Land of the Free to keep their mouth shut while still wearing braces!!!???
Don't disrespect the Sting Ray :insulted:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I was looking at V8 Supercar results on racing-reference today and on the front page there was a comment about a ARCA driver from 2004 called Homer Woolslayer.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Dick Guider..... His name has been mentioned in this thread, (13 years ago by myself and 7 years ago by @kals), but here is some more info on his career which spanned many years.

From a Mustang racing site.
"Dick Guider seems to have been a rather overlooked racer in the Mustang world of today , but he was a well known name in Mustang circles back then. Many will remember his name through his Can-Am success"
1984 Sears Point Can-Am & Trans-Am
Dick Guider's Marguey CA82-Hart finished fifth overall, third in the under-2-liter class.

#69 seems strangely appropriate for a Dick Guider

He raced a Mustang back in 1969 and 1970 in SCCA

He raced in Can-Am from 1980-1985, usually in the 2 litre class.

He also raced in the 1991 SCCA World Challenge - Super Production
https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/dick-guider/

Although he was universally known and referred to as Dick Guider, he is however referred to in racingsportscars.com as Richard Guider. (The pic above clearly shows his name on the car as Dick Guider)
https://www.racingsportscars.com/driver ... r-USA.html

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

That's hilarious.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Chase Elliott's real name is William Clyde Elliott II

DeWayne Louis Lund, simply known as Tiny Lund was given the name "Tiny" as he weighed about 270lbs (122kg) and was 6'5 (195cm), quite the opposite of Tiny I'd say.

Truman Fontell Flock, also known as Fonty Flock, winner of 19 NASCAR Cup series events between 1950-1956.

Ignoring the horrendous number on this car, ARCA racer Con Nicolopoulos sometimes has "Little fat man Con" on the drivers name post

acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

A driver named Crash Carson made one NASCAR start at Bay Meadows Speedway in 1955. In the same event, a driver named Vee Dent attempted to qualify, but didn't make the field. Carson only made 8 laps, before falling out with oil pressure problems.

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1955-30/W

Vee Dent himself failed to qualify in both his attempts to make NASCAR Cup races.

https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Vee_Dent
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

:haha:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

"U-Pull-it " may be an unusual sponsor name with implications to those in the gutter (like me)..... :smiley:

..... but it takes it to an altogether different level when you notice the "U-Pull-It" car driver's name is "Wane King" :mrgreen:

Wayne King (SA) Falcon EA (2006 Aust Saloon Car C'ships)

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago "U-Pull-it " may be an unusual sponsor name with implications to those in the gutter (like me)..... :smiley:

..... but it takes it to an altogether different level when you notice the "U-Pull-It" car driver's name is "Wane King" :mrgreen:

Wayne King (SA) Falcon EA (2006 Aust Saloon Car C'ships)
Hahaha... and Outbound Auto Parts...FFS.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Oz humour. Click to...enlarge.

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

You have zero idea just how funny this one is.

Constant Knepper.

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... niqid=3614
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bump.... @DaleJuniorFan was looking for it. :wink:

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

The full name is in the first post of this thread? Portago is a part of Madrid, I assume it was only a village when the peerage was established?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...