Stupid Senna Question

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Stupid Senna Question

Post by Starling »

I've found this pic of Senna with a beard:

Someone told me it's actually a photoshop of this pic:

But the comments on this F1 Reddit thread insinuate that the clean-shaven pic is the fake one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... &context=3

I'm a Senna lover but (alas) I don't recognize the track suit. It's not Toleman or any of his later suits. Also he looks 25+, and I can swear he never had a beard since then. Any clue? First world problems. Thanks!

(OK but the real question is: who on earth would photoshop a beard on Senna????)
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I think it's a Rothmans suit.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

It's probably photoshopped alright. The suit is obviously 1994 Rothmans Williams Renault. Both Rothmans & Renault logos are visible. The neck tape is obviously untied.

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Thanks @Michael Ferner and @Vassago . Nice pic of the boys! For some reason I tend to remove that suit from my memory. So definitely Photoshop, because Senna never had a beard at that time. The question remains: why??? :D
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

A quick Google reveals another senna image with a similar beard.

Photoshop - there's no way the bearded photo was produced from the smooth one as it contains far too much detail. It was the other way around

The bearded photo could be a fake, but it would have to have been produced from a 3rd image with far more detail

Given there's another pic of AS with a similar beard my money is on the beard being genuine.

The hair is pretty much spot on 1994 with tufty bits everywhere, so I'm going turned up for testing or a race bearded, then quickly had a shave when he realised it was gonna be itching all season
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 1 year ago A quick Google reveals another senna image with a similar beard.

Photoshop - there's no way the bearded photo was produced from the smooth one as it contains far too much detail. It was the other way around

The bearded photo could be a fake, but it would have to have been produced from a 3rd image with far more detail

Given there's another pic of AS with a similar beard my money is on the beard being genuine.

The hair is pretty much spot on 1994 with tufty bits everywhere, so I'm going turned up for testing or a race bearded, then quickly had a shave when he realised it was gonna be itching all season
Or Ron Dennis had a quiet word..... back in the day he was very anti beards.... there was an insider story going round at McLaren that Ron ordered Jenson Button and Alonso (Honda) engines to be turned down until they shaved their beards.
After another dismal showing in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix, McLaren boss Ron Dennis has reminded his drivers that they can have a car that works properly just as soon as they both shave.

‘There are three things Ron hates above all else,’ explained a team insider. ‘Untidyness, beards (and the actress Dame Angela Lansbury). He’ll stop at nothing to avoid any of them in his life.’

Sources in Woking say that, as a result of his demented desire to ‘optimise lower face visual and textural qualities’ amongst his drivers, Dennis has ordered engineers to turn down the power output of the Honda powertrain to ‘sub-optimal quantities’ and will happily tolerate blithering about fighting for 16th place for as long as it takes to make Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso shave their faces.

‘To have one driver with a beard is bad enough for Ron, but two has pushed him over the edge,’ explained our team mole. ‘It’s as intolerable for him as finding toast crumbs on the worktop.
https://sniffpetrol.com/2015/04/14/denn ... ultimatum/

Believe it or not...... :idunno:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
White six wrote: 1 year ago A quick Google reveals another senna image with a similar beard.

Or Ron Dennis had a quiet word..... back in the day he was very anti beards.... there was an insider story going round at McLaren that Ron ordered Jenson Button and Alonso (Honda) engines to be turned down until they shaved their beards.
After another dismal showing in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix, McLaren boss Ron Dennis has reminded his drivers that they can have a car that works properly just as soon as they both shave.

‘There are three things Ron hates above all else,’ explained a team insider. ‘Untidyness, beards (and the actress Dame Angela Lansbury). He’ll stop at nothing to avoid any of them in his life.’

Sources in Woking say that, as a result of his demented desire to ‘optimise lower face visual and textural qualities’ amongst his drivers, Dennis has ordered engineers to turn down the power output of the Honda powertrain to ‘sub-optimal quantities’ and will happily tolerate blithering about fighting for 16th place for as long as it takes to make Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso shave their faces.

‘To have one driver with a beard is bad enough for Ron, but two has pushed him over the edge,’ explained our team mole. ‘It’s as intolerable for him as finding toast crumbs on the worktop.
https://sniffpetrol.com/2015/04/14/denn ... ultimatum/

Believe it or not...... :idunno:
But definitely the rothmans overalls, so unless his beard fascism extended to demanding Frank did the same, the hastily arranged fastlane beard court has to find him not guilty :)

Maybe senna thought whoop whoop, I can finally have the beard of my dreams now, oh hang on, it's itchy as fuck
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Look at the jawline on the right of the smooth photo, it's been moved inwards a touch. Weird that someone wanted to do that, make an airbrushed saintly image from a better one anyway.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Your Original:

The claimed original "clean shaven" version when a beard is added via FaceApp:

https://freeimage.host/i/hjuRIf

It's uncanny how similar the fake FaceApp beard is to the original.

Now, if we reverse the process, and we REMOVE the beard using clean shave on FaceApp:

https://freeimage.host/i/hjR7lS

My conclusion is that "free" and effortless Photo editing software creates a bearded image from the unshaven, but doesn't create a good unshaven from the bearded image. So I believe it's a fake.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Your Original:

The claimed original "clean shaven" version when a beard is added via FaceApp:

https://freeimage.host/i/hjuRIf

It's uncanny how similar the fake FaceApp beard is to the original.

Now, if we reverse the process, and we REMOVE the beard using clean shave on FaceApp:

https://freeimage.host/i/hjR7lS

My conclusion is that "free" and effortless Photo editing software creates a bearded image from the unshaven, but doesn't create a good unshaven from the bearded image. So I believe it's a fake.
I still disagree, as how are you proposing to create the extra detail and texture the beardy image has?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ok, I've just found the original on the second beardy image, a perfect non beardy version.

So yes, it looks like some internet pervert is going around creating beardy sennas.

Somewhere floating around must be the '3rd' photo both the beardy and smooth images were made from.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Great, I'm more confused than before but I thank you all :D

My interest in the beard pic is that if it were genuine it would be pretty rare, and I have a passion for original sources and rare pics.

It's quite likely that between 1993 and 1994 Senna stopped shaving for 3 days. Given his darkish complexion, it would be enough time, but taking into account his reddish hair, his beard could have come out red. The pic is not detailed enough.

So I imagine him coming down in the pits for some test after 3 days of unbridled debauchery (= growing a beard while spending time with family and dogs, and reading the Bible) and being turned away and told to go shave, but not before someone snapped a pic (back then drivers were mostly clean-shaved, apart from our hero Nigel).

But then again, if the beard pic is genuine, why on earth someone should photoshop him back to clean shaven? Even a Senna junkie like me would never dream of altering a pic, especially because there are so many awesome pics that there's no need to create a new one.

Guys, I think we're approaching the field of the great unsolved mysteries of our world. :D :D :D
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Just need to find that original and it's case closed. No luck on alamy
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

White six wrote: 1 year ago Just need to find that original and it's case closed. No luck on alamy
I've used "Reverse image search" but it always leads to the sites I've already checked.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Starling wrote: 1 year ago
White six wrote: 1 year ago Just need to find that original and it's case closed. No luck on alamy
I've used "Reverse image search" but it always leads to the sites I've already checked.
They're not great tbh. Being totally anal you could try the part of face not used for beard, but due to sizing issues I doubt that would work