230 vintage motorbikes & cars destroyed in museum fire

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

230 vintage motorbikes & cars destroyed in museum fire

Post by PTRACER »

One of the cars was apparently a 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, some sources are saying it was the 1936 Mille Miglia winner but I am not so sure. The oldest motorcycle in the collection was from 1894 and apparently two-thirds of the collection were still roadworthy. A great shame, but that's what you get for housing things in a wooden building...

Some photos of the collection here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/aus ... de-2290024
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago One of the cars was apparently a 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, some sources are saying it was the 1936 Mille Miglia winner but I am not so sure. The oldest motorcycle in the collection was from 1894 and apparently two-thirds of the collection were still roadworthy. A great shame, but that's what you get for housing things in a wooden building...

Some photos of the collection here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/aus ... de-2290024
Very sad when things like this happen. By all accounts a spectacular setting the museum was / is in..... some 2100 metres up in the mountains, accessed by an equally impressive switchback road.

Those pictures and others with a bit more about the place from here:
https://www.wapcar.my/bm/video-muzium-m ... akar-22749

Im not convinced the Alfa pictured is the 1936 Mille Miglia winner...... Still a very expensive bit of kit though. I do know the 1936 Mille was won by an 8C #75.

Edit: Found the results for the 1936 Mille. https://www.racingsportscars.com/result ... 04-05.html
There is a #38 Alfa entered that came 13th and 3rd in class. However that is certainly not the car in the picture at the museum. The results show the #38 car to be an Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 Pescara Spider Touring... a very different car to that pictured.

In fact I found a pic of that car. As you can see, very different.

Maybe @Michael Ferner might be able to make a better job of IDing the Alfa than I did. :wink: I think it is an earlier 8C (8C Monza?) to the car that won in '36.... by then the 8C had a more oval grille.)

This is the car destroyed in the museum.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

A great shame, that fire! :sad:

About the Alfa, I agree it doesn't look like an 8C-2900, more like one of the Brianza-bodied Scuderia Ferrari cars that won the MM in 1934. I'm not really an expert on sports cars, but I have a lot of stuff about period Alfas, actually too much to go on a wild goose chase - does it mention a chassis number anywhere, I couldn't find any? The licence plate doesn't look genuine, btw. Also, keep in mind that MANY of those cars were "restored" to represent something they never were in the first place!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.