Rapid Response 2019 film

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Rapid Response 2019 film

Post by sadsac »

I watched Rapid Response on Prime tv last night and must recommend it to all insights and footage of indycar accidents that are very eye opening
Summary
In 1966 Medical student and racing fan Stephen Olvey gets the opportunity of a lifetime when he is asked to volunteer at the Indianapolis 500 on their medical team. What started as fun insider view of a sport he loved quickly devolves before his eyes as he sees the level of medical support given to the drivers, whom he has befriended, is terrifyingly non-existent. After feeling helpless at the scene of what turns out to be a fatal accident. Dr. Olvey sets off on a mission to build a team to apply science to transform motorsports from the most fatal form of sport to one of the safest. Over the next 30 years they succeed and the science that they develop influences modern trauma medicine and the passenger cars we drive today. This is the story of the most fatal era in Motorsports and the Indy 500 doctors who pioneered safety and helped the drivers to cheat death.

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Hmm, for its day I was under the impression that medical support at Indy was far superior to that of European races.

Thank you for reminding me of this, will give it a watch in the next couple of days. I just hope the commentary is less riddled with errors than Olvey's book was!
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Watched it at last, very good. Not for the squeamish, but I suppose most members of this forum will already be familiar with most of the incidents. I don't know what it says about me that I recognised all the older crashes but virtually none from the CART era and beyond.

The only mistake I picked up on was Bobby Unser telling us that gasoline was banned after the 1964 inferno. And I'm pleased that Steve Olvey now seems to know the difference between Texas Motor Speedway and Texas World Speedway!