Most dangerous driving in F1?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well, the stupid one was Giunti. Beltoise was pushing that car for several minutes (which was anything but unusual in those days), and Giunti passed him pushing at least once, but still decided to overtake under yellow flags when the accident happened. A sad and utterly horrific end to a sorry episode that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but for so many reasons went from bad to worse. It's way too easy to pin it all on Beltoise, but it was the politically correct thing to do at the time. He (and Giunti) suffered because of the incompetence of the Argentinian marshals and, most of all, the race organizers.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Mazda 787B
Favourite Driver: Alberto Ascari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mazda 6

Post by coland »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Well, the stupid one was Giunti. Beltoise was pushing that car for several minutes (which was anything but unusual in those days), and Giunti passed him pushing at least once, but still decided to overtake under yellow flags when the accident happened. A sad and utterly horrific end to a sorry episode that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but for so many reasons went from bad to worse. It's way too easy to pin it all on Beltoise, but it was the politically correct thing to do at the time. He (and Giunti) suffered because of the incompetence of the Argentinian marshals and, most of all, the race organizers.
If you don't think that to push your car across the truck in a 220 km/h bend is stupid and irresponsible I don't know what to say. :twothumbs:

Anyway ALL cars before him were passing Beltoise at racing speed, may it be, as you stated, because the yellow flags were actually not shown until Giunti crashed?

No you are right, Giunti died because he was stupid. :thumbsup:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Well, the stupid one was Giunti. Beltoise was pushing that car for several minutes (which was anything but unusual in those days)....
It was forbidden in the WSC in those days.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

I don't think it was. And besides, even if it was, you just didn't leave a car with nothing else amiss, and with the pits in sight - Beltoise would've been ridiculed by everybody ("didn't eat your breakfast, eh?"), and possibly reprimanded by his team, it was just not done. The choice between instant retirement and possible disqualification was no choice at all, you took every chance you can get away with, because giving up was just not on - even more than ten years later, Nigel Mansell pushed his Lotus in Dallas to a hero's applause, it was what was expected of a racing driver, and everybody did it.

As so often, circumstances played a big role. Beltoise stopped at the exit of the slowest corner, and on the racing line so he had to push the car away anyway. The problem was that the run up to the pits was uphill, and through a slightly banked curve. JP pushed the car to the edge of the track, away from the racing line, but because of the banking the car gravitated to the inside again, and from then on he was at the mercy of the marshals, who were criminally ill-prepared to deal with the situation. Many organizers at the time had a cavalier attitude towards safety, and most marshals did not have any sort of training for the job, often only applying in order to get to see the races for free. This accident was one of the catalysts to change that situation over the next ten years or so, but in the meantime a scapegoat was needed and Beltoise had his licence withdrawn for a few months, just to show that "something" was done. Nobody within racing held JP responsible.

coland
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by coland »

I have seen a lot of drivers in different eras pushing their cars to the pits/toward the finish line, though I have never seen anyone else but Beltoise crossing the track while doing so.
I also had a video with the live argentinian tv commentary and they really had hursh words for Beltoise behaviour, calling for the crash before it happened, and wondering why marshalls wasn't stopping him. Unfortunately my crash video collection got wiped out years ago when the hard disk in wich I had tons of material failed, otherwise I would have shared it here.
I will not try to change your mind, and I agree with you that bad marshalling had certainly a big part in the tragic outcome, but trying to reverse history and blame Giunti for the crash is something that I really cannot understand. :roll:
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'm not blaming Giunti, but he certainly did his part. Mind you, all the other drivers blasted by just as fast, only they were the lucky ones. And, perhaps Giunti wasn't even trying to overtake, instead merely caught out by the swerving of the car in front, I don't know. It doesn't matter a lot after all this time, it was an effing disgrace. But so were a lot of other fatal accidents at the time.

coland
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by coland »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago I'm not blaming Giunti, but he certainly did his part. Mind you, all the other drivers blasted by just as fast, only they were the lucky ones. And, perhaps Giunti wasn't even trying to overtake, instead merely caught out by the swerving of the car in front, I don't know. It doesn't matter a lot after all this time, it was an effing disgrace. But so were a lot of other fatal accidents at the time.
:thumbsup:
00steven

Post by 00steven »

Schumacher
00steven

Post by 00steven »

And Maldonado
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

00steven wrote: 3 years ago And Maldonado
When? Where?

Oh you are just spamming to see the photos. I hope you are disappointed.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
00steven wrote: 3 years ago And Maldonado
When? Where?

Oh you are just spamming to see the photos. I hope you are disappointed.
@00steven Four words only.... "Zandvort", "Schumacher" "And Maldonado".
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Lor Bet
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motor Racing in general
Favourite Racing Car: McLaren M7A, Ferrari 158 and 335 S
Favourite Driver: Bruce McLaren
Favourite Circuit: Targa Florio and Snaefell Course

Post by Lor Bet »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Well, the stupid one was Giunti. Beltoise was pushing that car for several minutes (which was anything but unusual in those days), and Giunti passed him pushing at least once, but still decided to overtake under yellow flags when the accident happened. A sad and utterly horrific end to a sorry episode that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but for so many reasons went from bad to worse. It's way too easy to pin it all on Beltoise, but it was the politically correct thing to do at the time. He (and Giunti) suffered because of the incompetence of the Argentinian marshals and, most of all, the race organizers.
Not really stupid (Giunti)! He was battling with the driver in front of him ( Parkers, a backmarker) from many laps. Of course it's Giunti's fault but Parkers isn't blameless IMO. :happy:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnvcl ... 57H4LscJQA
“I've stopped smoking, I don't drink anymore, I've cut down my sexual appetites, but I'm going even slower!” - Alessandro Nannini 1990
Lor Bet
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motor Racing in general
Favourite Racing Car: McLaren M7A, Ferrari 158 and 335 S
Favourite Driver: Bruce McLaren
Favourite Circuit: Targa Florio and Snaefell Course

Post by Lor Bet »

White six wrote: 3 years ago I have a few incidents in mind but would like to see what you'd remember?

Must involve behaviour that could have resulted in a charge of dangerous driving. I suppose I could allow careless or dozy driving if the incidents they led to were carnage, or where the jury is still out whether they were stupid or downright evil.

So Senna / Prost Suzuka 1989 wouldn't qualify here, but 1990 would.
Jochen Rindt at Crystal Palace in his first F2 Race (1964) battled for the lead with Graham Hill for the whole race, Rindt drove absolutely close to his limit, sliding everywhere and touching Hill a lot of times. However I'm not sure if it can be considered "Dangerous Driving" becuase without any videos it's hard to judge it.
Rindt was one of the driver that still with F1 drove sideways everywhere so imagine with a F2 near the infamous walls of Crystal Palace :biggrin:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnvcl ... 57H4LscJQA
“I've stopped smoking, I don't drink anymore, I've cut down my sexual appetites, but I'm going even slower!” - Alessandro Nannini 1990
Nononsensecapeesh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Yuji Ide, albeit briefly, bad enough to lose his superlicence.