Most dangerous driving in F1?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Marlboro sponsored half the F 1 field in the eighties, and de Cesaris also drove for rival tobacco companies. It's interesting how so many recall the Marlboro connection, but nobody seems to be able to see the obvious: Andrea was a very fast and experienced driver!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

JBT wrote: 3 years ago O/T A few years ago I found an alternate angle of the '81 British GP shunt that he got unfortunately caught up in, on YouTube. It came from a documentary and there was a film camera on the outside of Woodcote that caught Villeneuves spin and the ensuing carnage. It also caught Andrea's reaction once he had got out of the car. Namely him shouting 'FUCCCK!!!' in frustration... I've not been able to find it since. Anyone else ever seen it?
I believe that is in one of the early Havoc videos. Havoc 3 maybe?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

Cheers Paul, will go hunting.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9xOHD84NY

Mental by today's standards lol
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

In fairness he didn't know he was dragging the wheel behind him and claimed he would not have continued if he had known, as clearly it could endanger someone else if it detached completely.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

EB wrote: 3 years ago In fairness he didn't know he was dragging the wheel behind him and claimed he would not have continued if he had known, as clearly it could endanger someone else if it detached completely.
"your honour" :haha:
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Blasphemy! How dare you criticize the Sainted Gilles!! He would never ever have done anything to endanger any living species, and his car control was above any human rationale, not for mere mortals to judge. Straight to jail!

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

EB wrote: 3 years ago In fairness he didn't know he was dragging the wheel behind him and claimed he would not have continued if he had known, as clearly it could endanger someone else if it detached completely.
Lol. I mean, I've never sat in a 312T, but I assume you can see a stonking great big wheel hub if you looked in the mirrors... Until you can't because it's dragging behind the car.

I'm just in awe that the other wheel was still getting power.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
Lol. I mean, I've never sat in a 312T, but I assume you can see a stonking great big wheel hub if you looked in the mirrors... Until you can't because it's dragging behind the car.

I'm just in awe that the other wheel was still getting power.
I just checked and his mirrors were unaffected

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

At the risk of further mockery for defending St Gilles, how likely is it his mirrors could have seen it dragging behind the car like that?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

EB wrote: 3 years ago At the risk of further mockery for defending St Gilles, how likely is it his mirrors could have seen it dragging behind the car like that?
in 79 and before they were useful, from 1980 there wasn't much to see in Ferrari mirrors :happy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

EB wrote: 3 years ago At the risk of further mockery for defending St Gilles, how likely is it his mirrors could have seen it dragging behind the car like that?
My point was more that he should have been thinking "Oh shit I can't see my wheel attached" rather than whether or not he saw it dragging.

If an entire stonking great big 70s width wheel can't be seen in its normal position in the diff, what's the point of driving on? It won't buff out.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

It's Gilles in a nutshell for me. Disengage brain, engage emotion, drive flat out, to hell with the consequences. It's what made him great, and what killed him.

Puncture? Just drive it back slowly, don't go flooring it, running it over the kerbs etc.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Mazda 787B
Favourite Driver: Alberto Ascari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mazda 6

Post by coland »

For me the most dangerous driving didn't involve driving: Jean Pierre Beltoise pushing is prototype across the circuit in the 1971 1000km of Buenos Aires, with drivers narrowly missing him at more than 200 kms per hour until Giunti arrived remains by far the most stupid and irresponsible thing I have ever saw from a driver.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well, the stupid one was Giunti. Beltoise was pushing that car for several minutes (which was anything but unusual in those days), and Giunti passed him pushing at least once, but still decided to overtake under yellow flags when the accident happened. A sad and utterly horrific end to a sorry episode that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but for so many reasons went from bad to worse. It's way too easy to pin it all on Beltoise, but it was the politically correct thing to do at the time. He (and Giunti) suffered because of the incompetence of the Argentinian marshals and, most of all, the race organizers.