Most dangerous driving in F1?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Most dangerous driving in F1?

Post by White six »

I have a few incidents in mind but would like to see what you'd remember?

Must involve behaviour that could have resulted in a charge of dangerous driving. I suppose I could allow careless or dozy driving if the incidents they led to were carnage, or where the jury is still out whether they were stupid or downright evil.

So Senna / Prost Suzuka 1989 wouldn't qualify here, but 1990 would.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Pretty much every move Schumacher made on a rival? Jerez 1997 and even Adelaide 1994 weren't particularly dangerous, I suppose, except to his reputation, but what he did to Barrichello at Hungary in 2010 was ridiculous.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Funny, the first name that crossed my mind was Senna - guess that shows the difference in age! :mrgreen:

Plenty of incidents, though: Monaco '85, Mexico '87, Portugal '88, Japan '89 & '90...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Romain Grosjean 2012 Belgium is the one I remember, that was just stupid.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Giuseppe Farina, Clay Reggazoni both had a bad reputation in their days.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Nobody wanted to be close to Willy Mairesse either.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Giuseppe Farina, Clay Reggazoni both had a bad reputation in their days.
Funnily enough I was just going to post the name Farina as being one known for his dirty driving.
I read an article about him and here are a few quotes from it.....

The article title is "The Ferrari madman who pioneered dirty F1driving" and was written by Nigel Roebuck.

ROEBUCK explains, he had a fearsome reputation for his driving antics both on and off the track, which, in a motorsport era infamous for its lack of safety, put his fellow racers on edge
Born into a wealthy Turin family in 1906, Farina won several major races in the 1930s, driving Maseratis and Alfa Romeos, but it may be said that, as with Hermann Lang, his greatest years were surely lost to the Second World War.

In 1936 'Nino' joined Scuderia Ferrari, then racing Alfas, and when two years later Tazio Nuvolari left for Auto Union, he became Enzo's number-one driver.

Even at this early point in his career, though, already Dottore Farina - his degree was in political science - had the reputation of one to be approached with care. A patrician figure out of the car, he was chillingly ruthless within it.

Leading the Deauville Grand Prix in 1936, Farina impatiently shoved Marcel Lehoux off the road, and back then it was not the trifle it has become today, when cars are strong, run-off areas copious. Lehoux was killed, and in identical circumstances the same fate befell Lazlo Hartmann at Tripoli two years later....

.....Farina never changed his ways, as Stirling Moss, encountering him in the 1950s, can attest. "Undoubtedly he was a great driver, and I loved his relaxed, arms outstretched, style - in fact I copied it!

"On the track, though, Farina was a bastard. If he was lapping you, you had to be damn sure not to hold him up because he'd just push you off the road - and he'd do the same with an inexperienced guy. In those days you didn't often come across what used to be called 'dirty driving', but he was something else..."

....At Monaco Farina was a distant fourth, but Spa - a circuit he adored - offered the opportunity to display all his warrior qualities, good and bad. While Fangio and Moss disappeared, he had a merciless fight with Eugenio Castellotti.

Half his rival's age, Castellotti was the coming star of Italian motor racing, and Farina pulled every trick in his repertoire, more than once edging the Lancia perilously close to the pits on the run down to Eau Rouge. No pit wall in those days, of course: the mechanics had to scatter.

The duel ended when Castellotti's gearbox broke....
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/83 ... f1-driving

Fangio said of him "When asked what he had thought of Farina, he rolled his eyes.

"He was a strange man," Fangio said. "When a driver was hurt, he never went to visit him in hospital, and once, when I did that for him, he asked me why. 'Because I feel sorry for you,' I said, 'and wanted to wish you well.' 'You should feel happy,' he said. 'One less to beat next weekend...'

"Farina was not in the category of Ascari or Moss, but certainly he was a great driver. Very fast on the track, although I didn't like to go too close. But on the road - a madman! Completely loco! I hated to drive with him in traffic..."

Ten years on Farina was involved in the making of the film Grand Prix, and in June 1966 set off to drive to Reims for the French Grand Prix. In the mountains near Chambery, he died instantly when his Lotus Cortina crashed on an icy road."

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Schumacher and Senna instantly come to mind but I was going to come here and post about Farina too but I see Chris already has. Yes, I can't imagine having to deal with a driver like that while racing in those days, in those deathtraps.
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Andrea de (Crasheris) Cesaris
Races Without a Win 208
Total Retirements 148
Consecutive Retirements 18
Retirements in a Single Season 14 (from 16 races)
1981, his first full year Driving for McLaren he suffered a string of accidents and cost
the team a fortune in replacement parts.
After qualifying 13th for the Dutch Grand Prix, he suffered the ultimate indignity when the team withdrew him from the race before it started.
He drove for 10 teams during his career
He was fired by Guy Ligier in late 1985 after of course—a string of crashes.
Near the end of his career he moved to Sauber for nine races, retired from eight of them and called it a day. :crazy:
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

De Crasheris didn't do much dangerous driving though, if I remember. He just crashed a lot on his own, or got wound up by another driver and crashed.

O/T A few years ago I found an alternate angle of the '81 British GP shunt that he got unfortunately caught up in, on YouTube. It came from a documentary and there was a film camera on the outside of Woodcote that caught Villeneuves spin and the ensuing carnage. It also caught Andrea's reaction once he had got out of the car. Namely him shouting 'FUCCCK!!!' in frustration... I've not been able to find it since. Anyone else ever seen it?
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Agreed. De Cesaris crash record is only slightly above normal, and the popular myth that he cost McLaren "a fortune in replacement parts" has been debunked by members of the team in 1981 already - in fact, Watson's Monza crash (tub destroyed) was more expensive than everything Andrea damaged during the whole year!

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

JBT wrote: 3 years ago De Crasheris didn't do much dangerous driving though, if I remember. He just crashed a lot on his own, or got wound up by another driver and crashed.

O/T A few years ago I found an alternate angle of the '81 British GP shunt that he got unfortunately caught up in, on YouTube. It came from a documentary and there was a film camera on the outside of Woodcote that caught Villeneuves spin and the ensuing carnage. It also caught Andrea's reaction once he had got out of the car. Namely him shouting 'FUCCCK!!!' in frustration... I've not been able to find it since. Anyone else ever seen it?
Oh, I remember a highly dangerous bit :lol: He was the inspiration for the thread tbh

How the feck did he get a drive for all those years? Was he particularly wealthy or with a billionaire madman sponsor? Soon to be watching all of the 80s so I'll get a full and fair perspective
Last edited by White six 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Giuseppe Farina, Clay Reggazoni both had a bad reputation in their days.
I'm watching 1979 currently and Reggazoni appears to be in the dozy category by then. Unexplained drifts off the racing line in front of rivals that he doesn't appear to know are there
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
How the feck did he get a drive for all those years? Was he particularly wealthy or with a billionaire madman sponsor? Soon to be watching all of the 80s so I'll get a full and fair perspective
His Father was a major tobacco wholesaler and might (cant remember) have been a Philip Morris distributor. He certainly had strong connections and influence within PM who funded De Cesaris career via their Marlboro brand.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Marlboro sponsored half the F 1 field in the eighties, and de Cesaris also drove for rival tobacco companies. It's interesting how so many recall the Marlboro connection, but nobody seems to be able to see the obvious: Andrea was a very fast and experienced driver!