Random Video Games Discussion

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Random Video Games Discussion

Post by PTRACER »

Could do with this thread here...

I have just picked up Formula 1 (aka F1 '95) on PC (very rare) on eBay for a total of $1.38 Australian dollars. :smiley: The postage is nearly four times as much as I'm paying for the item. :dunno: Not bad, because it still only totals about a fiver in UK money.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

almost everything from down under is cheap these days. You just should try the US as well. Sometimes there are slight differences. :cool: :thumbsup:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

It was a private seller...I was prepared to pay $25 for that game, but instead, I paid just $12.08
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

P34
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by P34 »

Why would you need such an old game, anyhow?
Da Sausage
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Post by Da Sausage »

Out of older F1 games, one that stands out is F1 Racing Championship iirc, that one was just... Well... Awesome. I think it was made out of 1999 F1 season, it was the one where you gotta retire if you break the suspension of the car. I loved it, is there anywhere I can get that awesome game from?
Invisible Talent.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Da Sausage wrote:Out of older F1 games, one that stands out is F1 Racing Championship iirc, that one was just... Well... Awesome. I think it was made out of 1999 F1 season, it was the one where you gotta retire if you break the suspension of the car. I loved it, is there anywhere I can get that awesome game from?
If you're referring to the F1 Racing Simulation by Ubisoft I might have a spare one. I recall I got one bundled with my first wheel but never even installed it.

Now that I'm here, I need a game recommendation...

I'm heading to visit my folks over christmas and will have my laptop with me, and am looking for a game that would keep me occupied for the week. Now, I already have Trackmania, GTA2 and Peggle for the occasional fun but those only work in small doses. I'm looking something more story based that I could get through in about a week. Last year I had Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos which was brilliant until I came to a point where the game started crashing in one particular mission and I could not continue (my own fault for using warez :roll: ).

The laptop is a low end machine from a few years back so it needs to be something older. I also don't have a mouse for it which rules out fps stuff (I tried Mafia, rather tricky with touchpad :lol:) but I do have a gamepad. I also like emulators but as said I'm looking for a recommendation for specific games, not 'get a emulator and million games, those should keep you occupied!' which I've had a few times...

So. Any ideas?
P34
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by P34 »

Can anyone recall the evolution of Need For Speed? I'd played only 2, 3, Underground 1, and Underground 2. There obviously are many more, which I can't remember. I'm just curious.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Sam, you could try Deus Ex. It's from 2000 and quite an amazing game, one of the best ever.. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... =deus%20ex
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I have Deus Ex, actually, and agree that it's a fantastic game. But it's an fps and therefore I'd imagine it's quite tricky with a touchpad. The Thief and Hitman serie sadly fall into the same category... :)

P34, I've been a big fan of the NFS series and played every one of them apart from the latest one. The original NFS and Porsche Unleashed were fantastic, the rest fall between OKish (High Stakes, Hot Pursuit 2 and ProStreet) and reasonably good entertainment (the rest of them).
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

You want to complete it in a week...is that a week of constant playing? :tongue:

What sort of games do you like, other than racing, that are non-FPS?

Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

PTRACER wrote:You want to complete it in a week...is that a week of constant playing? :tongue:
I'll try to spare a moment for a christmas dinner but that aside :mrgreen:
PTRACER wrote:What sort of games do you like, other than racing, that are non-FPS?
I'm not really picky on genre. As long as it's something that does not take too long to learn (like flight sims or heavy duty managerial or strategy games) and the gameplay works I'm open for ideas.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

manny
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber, Max Verstappen,
Favourite Circuit: Le Mans

Post by manny »

Do you guys recognize some lagging in playing older games cause of your age?
I mean, i like playing old school games but i find i became to bad for these games and it might got something to do with getting older.
I'm just 23 but a lot of those old school games, the little gamers was the best at these games back there.
WIP.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

P34 wrote:Can anyone recall the evolution of Need For Speed? I'd played only 2, 3, Underground 1, and Underground 2. There obviously are many more, which I can't remember. I'm just curious.
The Need for Speed (1994)
Need for Speed II (1997)
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
NFS High Stakes (1999)
NFS Porsche Unleashed (2000)
NFS Hot Pursuit II (2002)
NFS Underground (2003)
NFS Underground 2 (2004)
NFS Most Wanted (2005)
NFS Carbon (2006)
NFS ProStreet (2007)
NFS Undercover (2008)
NFS TBA (2009)

That's the main trunk. There are also off-shoots such as V-Rally and Motor City Online.

Hope that helps. :wink:

In my personal opinion, the series peaked at Hot Pursuit II and peaked again at Most Wanted. Carbon just went too far into the 'make your car look as 'cool' as possible' zone and skimped on the racing as a result. ProStreet was confused, it was pulling in two different directions and again was short on content. Undercover is going back towards Most Wanted but is still sloppy.

----------------

Deus Ex is a timeless game that has never gotten boring, at least for me.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

OSNOF wrote:In my personal opinion, the series peaked at Hot Pursuit II and peaked again at Most Wanted. Carbon just went too far into the 'make your car look as 'cool' as possible' zone and skimped on the racing as a result. ProStreet was confused, it was pulling in two different directions and again was short on content. Undercover is going back towards Most Wanted but is still sloppy.
I'm curious... How do you find Hot Pursuit 2 better than the Undergrounds or the older NFS titles?
Haha, Oldskool stuff. Might have a go at this one :)