Computer Technical Support Thread

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Perhaps I am about to ask for something impossible, but here goes.

I used to play the game Monaco Grand Prix 2 back in the day. For those who don't know it, it is a non-licensed F1 game depicting the 1997 F1 season and was made for Win95.
For years I had it running on Win98 and it was ace, for me still the best F1 game ever, also because it was so easy to edit cars and track appearance.

My old Win98 pc has long since gone to the pc Walhalla and I have been trying ever since to get MGP working on my old WinXP laptop, but so far without much success. The game works fine, but runs waaaaaay to fast. It is like Usain Bolt strapped to a Saturn V. I have been trying some tricks to slow my machine down, but my knowledge is insufficient to make any promising headway.
Now, a few weeks ago I fired up the old laptop again and found it had been in standbymode for a while. I installed MGP and it worked FINE. No glitches, no ultrafast movements, it was perfect. So the game and machine CAN work fine.
I shut down the laptop to try again the next day, but then found it was back to the old ultrafast movements.

I am not sure why it is so fast, but I think it may have something to do with processor speed. I tried disabling DirectX acceleration (which worked for Wing Commander IV), but that didn't solve the problem.
I tried running CPU Killer, but that just makes everything so juddery it is impossible to play the game.
So, to my question: Is there another way of slowing an old XP laptop down?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Use it on battery maybe? The only other solution is to run the game through a virtual machine like VirtualPC or VMware
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
vontrips61
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari P330
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes C250

Post by vontrips61 »

ReneLotus wrote:Perhaps I am about to ask for something impossible, but here goes.

I used to play the game Monaco Grand Prix 2 back in the day. For those who don't know it, it is a non-licensed F1 game depicting the 1997 F1 season and was made for Win95.
For years I had it running on Win98 and it was ace, for me still the best F1 game ever, also because it was so easy to edit cars and track appearance.

My old Win98 pc has long since gone to the pc Walhalla and I have been trying ever since to get MGP working on my old WinXP laptop, but so far without much success. The game works fine, but runs waaaaaay to fast. It is like Usain Bolt strapped to a Saturn V. I have been trying some tricks to slow my machine down, but my knowledge is insufficient to make any promising headway.
Now, a few weeks ago I fired up the old laptop again and found it had been in standbymode for a while. I installed MGP and it worked FINE. No glitches, no ultrafast movements, it was perfect. So the game and machine CAN work fine.
I shut down the laptop to try again the next day, but then found it was back to the old ultrafast movements.

I am not sure why it is so fast, but I think it may have something to do with processor speed. I tried disabling DirectX acceleration (which worked for Wing Commander IV), but that didn't solve the problem.
I tried running CPU Killer, but that just makes everything so juddery it is impossible to play the game.
So, to my question: Is there another way of slowing an old XP laptop down?
Hi mate!

You can try using the DOS Box , I can play games like Need for Speed ​​I, Doom I and II , Quake , Hexen, Flight Simulator 95/98 ... all in Windows 7. I think you'll be able to play .

http://www.dosbox.com/

Good Luck!
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Guys, is there a dongle type solution for creating a wifi zone from one's PC? Instead of a router. :down:
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Never tried it myself, but apparently any Wifi card/dongle will work as a hotspot. See the search below for how to.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... LF6o7tHv_s
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Thanks mate. Seems like those things are for catching 3G/4G data the same way a phone does but for the PC. I'm just looking for some easy way (without a router) to create a little wifi zone around my PC using the PC's internet.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

SB83 wrote: 6 years ago Thanks mate. Seems like those things are for catching 3G/4G data the same way a phone does but for the PC. I'm just looking for some easy way (without a router) to create a little wifi zone around my PC using the PC's internet.
http://www.mhotspot.com/
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Mawerick wrote: 6 years ago
SB83 wrote: 6 years ago Thanks mate. Seems like those things are for catching 3G/4G data the same way a phone does but for the PC. I'm just looking for some easy way (without a router) to create a little wifi zone around my PC using the PC's internet.
http://www.mhotspot.com/
Wow, that works. :) Thanks mate.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

How would I go about getting the audio from a youtube video?

The site I used to use appears to be full of virus looking shifty links..
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I use the Youtube-dl program.

https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Thanks both.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Can anyone recommend any alternatives to VLC media player please? @SB83 recommended a program a few years ago which supports more media file types than VLC, but I can't find it anywhere on the forum and it's not on my current PC.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Can anyone recommend any alternatives to VLC media player please? @SB83 recommended a program a few years ago which supports more media file types than VLC, but I can't find it anywhere on the forum and it's not on my current PC.
It's the second program on the link Erwin posted (Pot player) but I had stopped using it as latter versions of the program started installing all sorts of dangerous garbage without your permission.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago Can anyone recommend any alternatives to VLC media player please? @SB83 recommended a program a few years ago which supports more media file types than VLC, but I can't find it anywhere on the forum and it's not on my current PC.
It's the second program on the link Erwin posted (Pot player) but I had stopped using it as latter versions of the program started installing all sorts of dangerous garbage without your permission.
Ok thanks, good to know