Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I have spent most of this year working on a new 1967 mod for Grand Prix Legends.

Physics are at an advanced stage of completion and I have taken a little break to work on graphical changes, like this new Lotus 49 cockpit:
Since you got some insight in the way the GPL physics engine works maybe you have an answer for me. I've often wondered if the track_altitude parameter from the track.ini appears somewhere in the runtime. I know it has no functionality in vanilla GPL but if its in the simulation and gets read from the file according to the track, its a question if the engine HP can be adjusted on the fly to try and implement elevation affected engine output. After all HP as a function of altitude is just a multiplication by a factor in most cases.
Technically yes, with an additional bit of code. The issue would be that it is too "easy" to just edit the track.ini file and cheat.

I haven't worked on the Kyalami or Mexico sets yet, but I already calculated separate horsepower figures for these to account for the altitude differences so they can be hardcoded. I'll have to see at a later stage if it is worth adding.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Could you lock it so it uses the value in the servers track.ini?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago Could you lock it so it uses the value in the servers track.ini?
It's possible. Or like the Weather Patch, you could write the altitude height into the server's name :)

Not sure how much fun it would be though!! At Kyalami's altitude, the Lotus 49 would go from 409bhp to 347bhp, the Brabham from 310bhp to 263bhp etc!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Michkov wrote: 2 years ago Could you lock it so it uses the value in the servers track.ini?
It's possible. Or like the Weather Patch, you could write the altitude height into the server's name :)

Not sure how much fun it would be though!! At Kyalami's altitude, the Lotus 49 would go from 409bhp to 347bhp, the Brabham from 310bhp to 263bhp etc!
The age old question of realism vs fun. I dont see why the two should be mutually exclusive, the F2s are a joy to drive even without the raw HP after all. And its one of those features you dont expect a sim to do since its a minor effect in the big picture. It only got reminded of it because both oAo and F1 are running at Mexico at the moment.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago

The age old question of realism vs fun. I dont see why the two should be mutually exclusive, the F2s are a joy to drive even without the raw HP after all. And its one of those features you dont expect a sim to do since its a minor effect in the big picture. It only got reminded of it because both oAo and F1 are running at Mexico at the moment.
That's true. I guess it's like driving the 1965s at Spa. They're not very fast in a straight line but it doesn't mean it is boring.

I have had to drop out of oAo unfortunately, otherwise I would have been in that race as well...

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I really plan to finish GPL 67 v3 mod this year, I've been taking an extremely long time to get the physics of each car right and I think I'm basically there now. Still it's just the tyre heating situation which is causing me difficulties. I think the way GPL engine calculates tyre heating is not particularly good, so I'm testing it against Assetto Corsa and iRacing to try and get the perfect match.

I've also been working on fixing some texture and 3DO changes, which is also taking an extremely long time to get right.

mcmirande
Favourite Racing Car: Renault RE30
Favourite Driver: Alain Prost
Favourite Circuit: Too many...
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Duster

Post by mcmirande »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Well, tomorrow I should be ready to release my GPL slipstream patch.

You will need to be within 100 metres of the car in front to pick up a whiff of a draft and within 50 or so to really make use of it. That's as opposed to 550+ metres away in all the mods. Doesn't half transform the racing!

Hi Paul, what happened with that patch? Is it available to download?

Cheers, Marcos
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

mcmirande wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Well, tomorrow I should be ready to release my GPL slipstream patch.

You will need to be within 100 metres of the car in front to pick up a whiff of a draft and within 50 or so to really make use of it. That's as opposed to 550+ metres away in all the mods. Doesn't half transform the racing!

Hi Paul, what happened with that patch? Is it available to download?

Cheers, Marcos
Hey Marcos,

Yes I can make it available again later. FYI the patch has several layers of protection and also prevents you from joining any online servers, so it cannot disrupt online play whatsoever.

mcmirande

Post by mcmirande »

In Mybroga we'll about to start a championship with the F2 mod, whose main problem is the very high and "long" draft. Is it possible to use this patch online (preventing in some manner that the drivers without the patch enter the server)?

Cheers, Marcos.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

mcmirande wrote: 2 years ago In Mybroga we'll about to start a championship with the F2 mod, whose main problem is the very high and "long" draft. Is it possible to use this patch online (preventing in some manner that the drivers without the patch enter the server)?

Cheers, Marcos.
Olaf's DirtGearPatch and the 60fps mod both have that feature, preventing anyone without the patch from joining the server. Unfortunately I heard from Olaf that it was extremely challenging to code, so it'll be beyond my ability unfortunately :( I guess I'll look into it at some point, I am sure it is just about finding the right piece of code and modifying it accordingly, but I'm as interested in protecting the sanctity of online racing/GPLRank as much as anyone else when it comes to existing mods.

mcmirande

Post by mcmirande »

mcmirande wrote: 2 years ago In Mybroga we'll about to start a championship with the F2 mod, whose main problem is the very high and "long" draft. Is it possible to use this patch online (preventing in some manner that the drivers without the patch enter the server)?

Cheers, Marcos.
Olaf's DirtGearPatch and the 60fps mod both have that feature, preventing anyone without the patch from joining the server. Unfortunately I heard from Olaf that it was extremely challenging to code, so it'll be beyond my ability unfortunately :( I guess I'll look into it at some point, I am sure it is just about finding the right piece of code and modifying it accordingly, but I'm as interested in protecting the sanctity of online racing/GPLRank as much as anyone else when it comes to existing mods.
OK, I understand. I also find preferable not to having it patched than allowing people with and without the patch to coexist in the same server.

Marcos
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I suppose it is not of much interest to anyone, but the draft figures given in the PDF by Richard Cooke are not quite right.

For gpl.exe / gplc67.exe, the draft distance at 188mph is actually 26 metres, not 35 metres - the calculation being GPL's internal measure of [speed² x SlipstreamCoeff]. At 198mph, the maximum slipstream grows by only a few metres.

For gpl66, the draft size is 470m at 188 and 480m at 190mph (+2mph = +10 metres). It grows another 50 metres (12.5 car lengths) at 198mph.

Since no one is gaining 27mph in the slipstream, even in the mods, I am presume the speed boost itself is theoretical. The physics engine doesn't reduce the car's drag while in the slipstream, it just adds to the potential top speed, and there are other factors which I guess are at play too, like the car's BHP, the rev limit etc.

GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

They have begun teasing with the 1970 mod going into testing phase very soon. Graphically it looks great, though I remain cautious about how it will drive, especially after the atrocity that the 1968 F1 handling was. I really hope this won't be a trend.

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=14558&hl=
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

GrandPrixYannick wrote: 2 years ago They have begun teasing with the 1970 mod going into testing phase very soon. Graphically it looks great, though I remain cautious about how it will drive, especially after the atrocity that the 1968 F1 handling was. I really hope this won't be a trend.

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=14558&hl=
That's the same sort of frustration I have felt with most of the mods when the original GPL really wasn't bad at all :down:

I'm interested in seeing the screenshots but I am not able to login at SRMZ...

GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

Pictures underneath. I mean, you could still make a second account on a different e-mail address, if you have one. Or is it like a IP block (in which case, VPN maybe)?

Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Well, I'll hand it to them - it *looks* nice.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion