Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Renault RE30
Favourite Driver: Alain Prost
Favourite Circuit: Too many...
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Duster

Post by mcmirande »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
mcmirande wrote: 1 year ago Well, I think the "engine blowing pattern" is fairly well done. I don't know its programming details but I like the effect of some random blows mixtured with "well deserved" ones, hehe
Oh for sure, GPL is head and shoulders above many modern sims when it comes to engine damage modelling :happy:

The issue I mentioned is with mod EXEs only - something went wrong when Nigel Pattinson converted the code to XML. Try shifting into 1st gear at 300kph in the original GPL and the engine will blow immediately. Do it in any of the mods and you'll get lots of revs, maybe some locked rear wheels, but typically not much will happen to the engine. That's what I have basically fixed.
Ahhh, ok, great!!
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

And here I was thinking I had become a very car-friendly driver! :haha: So basically in the mods you need to try really hard to blow an engine.
I'm interested to see how this change affects my driving in GPL. Great work in figuring it out.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

ReneLotus wrote: 1 year ago And here I was thinking I had become a very car-friendly driver! :haha: So basically in the mods you need to try really hard to blow an engine.
I'm interested to see how this change affects my driving in GPL. Great work in figuring it out.
:haha:

Even without the patch, you still have 6 other ways to damage your engine so drive carefully :mrgreen:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
LasseA
Favourite Motorsport: Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Engined Car

Post by LasseA »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Even without the patch, you still have 6 other ways to damage your engine so drive carefully :mrgreen:
How many ways are there overall?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

LasseA wrote: 1 year ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Even without the patch, you still have 6 other ways to damage your engine so drive carefully :mrgreen:
How many ways are there overall?
Besides damage to the suspension when having an accident, these are the primary damage types listed in the physics editor:

Overrev damage
Oil Temp Damage
Water Temp Damage
Oil Pressure Damage
Fire Damage
Propagation Damage
Random Damage

I have never investigated any of these in depth, but this is how I guess it would work based on various things I've seen:

Overrevving, oil temps and water temps - Below the specified limits there is no damage. Above that, the amount of damage it does probably depends on how far over the limit you are. i.e. Your engine will fail sooner at 20C above peak oil temp than at 10C above.

Oil pressure - Max pressure in game is 79 PSI, so maybe this is damage from low oil pressure. Which would explain why blow ups can happen when warming up on the grid.

Propagation damage - I never knew what it is, but the word "propagation" suggests that damage in one area can affect another. So perhaps this is an overall counter of some kind. Meaning all the damage you have done is combined into one figure. A combination of overrevving, overheating oil and water could cause a failure sooner than any one of those things could on their own.

Random damage - Again, no idea how it's calculated because I haven't looked. If this is a probability based system and damage physics are calculated once per second, then based on the parameter, it looks like there is a 100% chance of a random failure occurring within 20 hours of driving. Someone once said on SRMZ that physics are calculated 4 times a second, in which case a failure is guaranteed after 5 hours of driving. Or 50% chance after 2.5 hours. Might have implications in the 1937 mod, if they have 3-4 hour races.

Besides the strength of the suspension which can be specified per chassis, the values above are applied equally to all cars. So, when we talk about Hondas blowing up before Brabhams, it's only because they can overrev further and run at higher temps than the Brabham can.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

LasseA
Favourite Motorsport: Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Engined Car

Post by LasseA »

Oh nice, even when there is some room for speculation about how every parameter really works, this really brings some light into the dark. So glad the public gets to see this info... I mean GPL veterans are still guessing how damages exactly work after all these years. Thanks so much for all of this, it's really appreciated.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I put another 12 hours into this at the weekend. I made some progress.

I found when you extend the nose collision box beyond the default value of 2.2 metres, the car can get stuck in the ground/launched into the shadow realm, especially when landing on big jumps. Luckily I found the cause (altitude difference between the nose box and the main body collision box which is present in the original game).

I also found some interesting parts in the code related to the suspension and the resistance of different racing surfaces. So, I can do things like making gravel harder to escape from (or easier), or make the car skim across the top of it. I find the way the car sinks into the gravel in GPL a little weird.

The one thing I really wanted to adjust though was the artificial bumps. The racing surface has them but you barely feel them. On grass, it is obviously more noticeable. If I could increase the bumpiness of tarmac it would make driving a lot more interesting, since so many tracks are billiard table smooth and that takes away from the experience somewhat. Sadly I failed to find the code for this. I will keep looking.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Another update - I have partially decoded the brake fade patch from the 1955 mod and have tested it in 67v3. Basically, it works!

However, my idea is to turn this patch around. Rather than having brake fade, I want braking ability to be reduced when the brakes are cold. The patch currently allows full braking ability from totally cold up until their peak temperature, then drop off above it to produce the fade effect. If I can then add a slight element of brake fade on top (i.e. after say, 10-15 laps of hard driving), it would be even better, but maybe beyond my ability. A fresh set of eyes would probably help. @Michkov Would you be interested in looking over it with me?

mcmirande
Favourite Racing Car: Renault RE30
Favourite Driver: Alain Prost
Favourite Circuit: Too many...
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Duster

Post by mcmirande »

Wow, these are GREAT additions Paul!!

Thanks for all your effort!

Marcos.
andygpl
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Honda
Favourite Driver: John Surtees
Favourite Circuit: Zandvoort

Post by andygpl »

I follow this thread with great excitement. These are wonderful findings Paul and I am really looking forward for the new mod.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Glad to see you guys are still following this. A few weeks of silence doesn't mean I have given up, I guarantee I will see this through to the end :)

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Another update - I have partially decoded the brake fade patch from the 1955 mod and have tested it in 67v3. Basically, it works!

However, my idea is to turn this patch around. Rather than having brake fade, I want braking ability to be reduced when the brakes are cold. The patch currently allows full braking ability from totally cold up until their peak temperature, then drop off above it to produce the fade effect. If I can then add a slight element of brake fade on top (i.e. after say, 10-15 laps of hard driving), it would be even better, but maybe beyond my ability. A fresh set of eyes would probably help. @Michkov Would you be interested in looking over it with me?
Can do, send me a PM, or post here what you had in mind.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Another update - I have partially decoded the brake fade patch from the 1955 mod and have tested it in 67v3. Basically, it works!

Can do, send me a PM, or post here what you had in mind.
Thanks. Give me a few days to convert it to something readable by humans and I'll share with you so we can discuss some changes.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

@PTRACER not sure if that is what you are asking for, but are you looking for the maximum brake force (y-axis) that looks like this for a given temperature (x-axis)? It's totally empirical, but it gives a low force at low temps, followed by a peak and finally a fade towards even higher temps. We'd need to adjust the numbers to get the behaviour we want, but there is only one input variable.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago @PTRACER not sure if that is what you are asking for, but are you looking for the maximum brake force (y-axis) that looks like this for a given temperature (x-axis)? It's totally empirical, but it gives a low force at low temps, followed by a peak and finally a fade towards even higher temps. We'd need to adjust the numbers to get the behaviour we want, but there is only one input variable.
Something like this yes.

The best we can do is straight lines though. So, let's say when the brakes are at 0C, braking ability is 80%. At 250C, it's 90% and at 500C, 100%. Something like that. The current brake fade code is really strange and has some weird calculations that I need to work out the purpose of first, that is what I will need your help with in the initial stages.

andygpl
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Honda
Favourite Driver: John Surtees
Favourite Circuit: Zandvoort

Post by andygpl »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago The best we can do is straight lines though. So, let's say when the brakes are at 0C, braking ability is 80%. At 250C, it's 90% and at 500C, 100%. Something like that. The current brake fade code is really strange and has some weird calculations that I need to work out the purpose of first, that is what I will need your help with in the initial stages.
I wonder what will be the effect of such mod for offline driving with the AI as we are probably not able to simulate such behaviour of the brakes for AI drivers. It might give the human driver a hard time for the first few laps. But I guess similar thing is already happening with tyre heating so maybe it will not be such a big deal.