Windows 11

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Windows 11

Post by PTRACER »

I didn't even realise, because the release was so low key, but Windows 11 is out!

It is really a feature update to Windows 10, rather than a whole new OS. If your system is compatible, you can download it through Windows Update for free.

If it is NOT compatible, you can still install it with the following clever trick:

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft site
2. Open it up with an ISO file editor and delete /sources/appraiserres.dll
- OR -
Copy paste all the files from the ISO to your HDD and do the same, then create a brand new ISO from the files
3. Disconnect your internet
4. Mount the ISO and run the setup.exe
5. On the very first screen, click the blue text and select "Do not download updates"

From there, you can follow the upgrade process as usual.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

My first impression is that it does the same job as Windows 10.

- The real issue is that my favourite feature, which was the W10 Start Menu tiles, is gone.
- There is also a separate Widgets app which displays the weather and an endless news feed with stories I do not care about and prefer not to read (mostly clickbait). This cannot be removed.
- Since Weather widget and the Start Menu are separate items, I feel like I have lost functionality

Otherwise I cannot say things are any different...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago and an endless news feed with stories I do not care about and prefer not to read (mostly clickbait). This cannot be removed.
I hate that! :annoyed:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago My first impression is that it does the same job as Windows 10.

- The real issue is that my favourite feature, which was the W10 Start Menu tiles, is gone.
- There is also a separate Widgets app which displays the weather and an endless news feed with stories I do not care about and prefer not to read (mostly clickbait). This cannot be removed.
- Since Weather widget and the Start Menu are separate items, I feel like I have lost functionality

I have this weather and news app in my w10 already ?! :huh:
Not quite sure whether it can be removed but it is quite annoying as it sits in bottom bar and whenever the mouse arrow comes close, it pops up that window.

I might run the upgrade check tool on my machines one of these days but ain't too hopeful there.
However, I'm in need of a new desktop pc for doing photos in darktable and gimp anyway, so w11 might come along as well. And since w10 support still runs until 2025, as far as I'm aware, I'm not going to upgrade my oldies.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Andy wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago My first impression is that it does the same job as Windows 10.

Not quite sure whether it can be removed but it is quite annoying as it sits in bottom bar and whenever the mouse arrow comes close, it pops up that window.
Andy, try right-clicking on it, then News and interests > Show icon and text (uncheck).
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago
Andy wrote: 2 years ago

Andy, try right-clicking on it, then News and interests > Show icon and text (uncheck).
Thanks Mr Red Stallion ;)
It didn't work as there ain't the News and Interests option but through the right-click on the icon I could open the task bar properties in which you can deactivate the popping up when hoovering over function, which works for me as well since I don't have the annoying pop up anymore
:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

My PC is not capable to run Win11.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I didn't even realise, because the release was so low key, but Windows 11 is out!

It is really a feature update to Windows 10, rather than a whole new OS. If your system is compatible, you can download it through Windows Update for free.

If it is NOT compatible, you can still install it with the following clever trick:

1. Download the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft site
2. Open it up with an ISO file editor and delete /sources/appraiserres.dll
- OR -
Copy paste all the files from the ISO to your HDD and do the same, then create a brand new ISO from the files
3. Disconnect your internet
4. Mount the ISO and run the setup.exe
5. On the very first screen, click the blue text and select "Do not download updates"

From there, you can follow the upgrade process as usual.
Having read about it I'm not convinced I'll ever run it on one of my machines except as a vm maybe behind a pretty restricted network, thanks to the TPM 2.0 requirement.
It is a massive safety hole towards the complete glassy user as the machine will be directly linked to its user(s).
You can forget about anonymity as well as pseudonymity which leads all relatively tightened privacy protecion laws and rules of late ad absurdum.
Sorry, not sorry.