F1 2021

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

F1 2021

Post by White six »

Any word of it?

I suppose I'll have to get it if Imola is included
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It'll release on 16 July.

Unfortunately, I won't be buying it before it's on sale because of this predictable douchebaggery by Codemasters' new owners EA: https://www.vg247.com/2021/04/16/f1-202 ... demasters/
White six wrote: 2 years ago I suppose I'll have to get it if Imola is included
Nope
However the Imola, Algarve and new-for-2021 Jeddah circuits which were added to the calendar after last year’s release won’t be immediately available at launch.
Source: https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/15/f1- ... til-later/

That makes my decision to wait for a sale even easier.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Kwap

I remember when codemasters were knocking out games for the speccy. £1.2bn not a bad return I guess
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/news/fi ... d=msedgntp
One of the big new features in the game is the ‘Braking Point’ story mode, which will see gamers race as Aiden Jackson, a young driver racing in F2 with hopes of reaching F1.

The game will span the 2019 F2 season before moving into F1 for 2020 and 2021, giving the chance to sign for Racing Point/Aston Martin, Alphas Tauri, Alfa Romeo, Haas or Williams.

Braking Point looks to take inspiration from the Netflix Drive to Survive series through its story, which has benefitted from a professional writing team and will emphasise the characters and relationships throughout Jackson’s story. Part of this will see the return of Devon Butler, the villain from F1 2019.
"Devon Butler, the villain from F1 2019"

Haha, what?!?

I'm imagining something like... 'Devon, the son of billionaire oil baron Reginald, beat driving wunderkid - but humble street urchin by background - Pip Smith to the Haas seat under mysterious circumstances. Ever since then Pip has plotted his revenge. With dashing young-gun Aiden joining the grid, perhaps Pip's master plan can finally take effect.'
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

:haha:

I applaud Codemasters for adding all these additional features, but when I buy a racing game, I'm not interested in R&D, I'm not interested in talking to the media, and I'm especially not interested in this fictional F1 soap opera BS. I just care about the racing.

About Imola, apparently it is coming as DLC along with Jeddah (a race which I still doubt will happen) and Portimao.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago :haha:

I applaud Codemasters for adding all these additional features, but when I buy a racing game, I'm not interested in R&D, I'm not interested in talking to the media, and I'm especially not interested in this fictional F1 soap opera BS. I just care about the racing.

About Imola, apparently it is coming as DLC along with Jeddah (a race which I still doubt will happen) and Portimao.
Keeping in mind that I haven't played the series since they've brought in the career mode... (crap computer)

I actually love the idea of a career mode with R&D. As a driver I'd like it if I said "the priority is X" and the team works towards fixing that (and maybe it takes a few races for that development to be made, rather than an instant boost... not sure how it works in the games).

I even don't mind some wrangling with contracts between teams. Sometimes you get the team you want to drive for, other times you don't. Fine.

But yeah... press conferences and The Sims hot tub date with the PR girl DLC doesn't float my boat in the slightest.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

The press conferences become repetitive, you're limited in what you can actually say (No Mazepin is a wanker who shouldn't be in the sport option)

I find the R&D interesting to an extent, but it's not realistic. You'll have a shit car at the start, then outdevelop the other teams if you get it right. I don't want to have to work out what upgrades I should be adding in what order, just let me jump in and drive.

What also bugs me about these games is that you cannot be competitive online unless you have specific setups for each track. I don't have time to put in hundreds of hours like the YouTubers.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Yup, see that's it. I don't mind the car performance progressing during the year, but I am the driver not the engineer. Tell me to go out and do three laps below 1m37 if it'll help, but don't ask me what upgrades to make or ask me how much money we should spend.

Earning a seat at another team is good fun, but the last game I properly played (F1 2012) you could move teams 2 or 3 times a season. Seems a bit unrealistic.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It's just stuff they have to do to appeal to a wider audience. The bulk of the mass market isn't merely interested in shaving tenths and want a narrative, drama, etc. Basically the same formula as Netflix's popular Drive to Survive series. I've seen my relatives and colleagues who never watch a race, talk about that series. I personally found the My Team thing a nice addition and planning out the activities between races to aid development and bringing in the money needed to fuel it by way of choosing sponsors with goals that I can achieve (overtake at least 10 drivers in a race for a bonus LOL).
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Yup, see that's it. I don't mind the car performance progressing during the year, but I am the driver not the engineer. Tell me to go out and do three laps below 1m37 if it'll help, but don't ask me what upgrades to make or ask me how much money we should spend.
That exists - there are challenges as part of your development. One I remember was measuring tyre wear, and fuel usage, so you had to do fuel saving etc to meet a laptime.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Featuring a fantastically rendered Will Buxton...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago

On and OFF track DRAMA!

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Never have I felt so little interest in a racing game's "other" features.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Why did it say 5 selectable teams? There are 10 teams.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago

On and OFF track DRAMA!
The dramatics look like they will fall in the "So bad that it's good!" category. :haha:
Last edited by SBan83 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.