How do I.......

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

How do I.......

Post by PTRACER »

....get extra buttons for my sim racing rig without buying a new wheel?

Right now, I have a G25, which is okay for GPL, but I want to play more modern racing and the two buttons on the wheel will only give me KERS and DRS and no ability to change fuel mix, tyre strategy etc. I need some extra keys for changing other settings.

Are there any mods, or any dirty hacks you could suggest without buying a new wheel?

I was thinking of getting something like this (it's about £2 :haha: ) and super-gluing it to a piece of plastic/metal, and then clamping it to my desk. Do you think that will have enough buttons?

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The most tech McGyver method I can come up with is a wireless controller, glued to the wheel. If you really want to go all out, do away with the plastic case and keep only the buttons and logic board. Looking at my XBox controller that should gibe you 10 buttons, 3 axis and a D-pad. Of course this works with a wired controller too but than you have to worry about the cable wrapping around the wheel.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 4 years ago The most tech McGyver method I can come up with is a wireless controller, glued to the wheel. If you really want to go all out, do away with the plastic case and keep only the buttons and logic board. Looking at my XBox controller that should gibe you 10 buttons, 3 axis and a D-pad. Of course this works with a wired controller too but than you have to worry about the cable wrapping around the wheel.
I was thinking the same. It will look a bit ugly but it would work. I found another option in the meantime - Using my Android tablet as a wireless game controller. I won't have any feeling for the buttons but I can customise their location on the touchscreen, maybe create some macros to make switching options even easier. :suspicious:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

That's a genius idea, PT. :shock: Have also thought about reimagining my G25 setup. Got different pedals and gear shifter now, but would like the to get rid of the side console. Tell us how you make this work will you?

:agreepost:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***