TT IOM - Ride on the Edge

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

TT IOM - Ride on the Edge

Post by Michael Ferner »

Someone of you playing this game?

I haven't played a racing sim for more than a decade, but couldn't resist when I saw this PC game with a full version of the Mountain circuit. The graphics are excellent, and the course is extremely well done, which is all I really need because I don't have that much time to play these days anyway, so I just want a good simulation that I can practice every now and then. Am I happy, then? Well, yes, but...

There is a problem: I use the keyboard to play (which is fine, normally - I have played all racing sims on the keyboard so far), and the steering sensivity is far too delicate. When I check the settings, it's on 70 %, while the accelerating and braking efficency is at about 30 % (from memory). I would like to drop the former to about 50 % for a start, and raise the latter a bit, but try as I might I can't change the settings! It's frustrating, really, but there seems to be a glitch in the programming! :annoyed:

As it stands, I can barely get out of first gear as the bike fishtails madly, and I still crash all the time! VERY frustrating!!!

Does someone know a way around this problem?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Tried picking up an Xbox controller or similar to play with?
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The only way to play more modern sims is with a controller of some kind, unless the game has a bunch of driver assists which you can switch on.

Now...wasn't a motorcycle controller released for PC at some point in the recent past?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yea, you really need a controller. Get the Logitech F310 or F710 (wireless), or one of the Microsoft Xbox-derived PC controllers.

I personally skipped out on this game in favour of Ride 3, due to its greater track and bike diversity, and I love Milestone's physics engine.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
Now...wasn't a motorcycle controller released for PC at some point in the recent past?
Im sure I have seen what look like mini handlebars for gamers in shops the past. Dont know if they are gimmick or they worked well.. :smiley:

A quick google found the Thrustmaster Freestyler Bike USB.

More info: http://www.telecommandercorp.com/links/ ... llerrt.htm

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions so far. I never seriously thought about a steering wheel or other controller, because it seemed a bit "nerdy" to me - I am just a regular guy enjoying a computer simulation once in a while! :D And all things considered, I did very well driving with my keyboard, I have a couple of Indy 500 wins and two Formula One World Championships to prove it! :cool: :mrgreen: :blush:

Anyway, your suggestions make sense, and a controller doesn't seem to cost the world - I'll consider my options. Further input appreciated!

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Okay, I'm now zeroing in on a Logitech G920, force back wheel with pedals for a reasonable price. But, on a forum somewhere I read of a guy who had problems running the game with that controller - is that possible? I don't want to spend 200 Euros and can't use the damn thing! Don't all games have a controller interface to calibrate those things?? I have zero experience with controllers, so somebody out there who can advise???

:sorrow:

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Wheels usually come with software that takes care of these things, as should most games. In the end you have the OS calibration, one via vendor software and a final one in game. The main problem is that on PC you got so many variables that while unlikely it is possible that an autoupdate screws up your wheel, software wise that is. Then again it's mostly the issues you hear about and not the wheels working perfectly fine.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Sounds like smart advice, thanks! I think I'll go for it, and then see how it'll work out. :smiley:

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well... what I feared would happen is exactly what happened! :(

Got my new wheel & pedals, had it properly acknowledged by Windows, started the IoM game and... nothing! Wasted a complete night by trying over and over again, to no avail. Game wouldn't accept input from wheel & pedals, period. Hmpf.

Next day, I asked Mr. Google, who suggested installing a program to convert the wheel & pedal input into Xbox Controller commands, and after having spent another night to get that one running (involving several other downloads), which it finally did okay, I again tried it on IoM and... failed again! :crazy: :annoyed: :down:

I started afresh the next day, analyzing and repeating every step, with the same result: wheel & pedals worked fine in Windows, and in the converter program, but not in IoM. As a bonus, I got to lose a fourth night of sleep when finding all those downloads and registry changes had fouled up my system to the point where I couldn't even start Excel anymore - oh, how I loved the experience! :angry:

After three weeks of intensive care in the hands of my shrink, I'm ready and game to try once more, but... what did I do wrong? Anyone with similar experiences? This has got to work, it's such a beautiful game, but pretty useless if you can't play it with a proper controller. Why-oh-why do they make me suffer??? :sorrow:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

@Michael Ferner
Maybe this topic could give you some help: https://steamcommunity.com/app/626610/d ... 662114319/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

And I found this:
Getting it to work on Win 10 turned out to be trivial after what @Danny O'Neill posted above (so thank you!) - you just have to delete the XInputUWP64.dll file in the game's root folder. Apparently it's some kind of controller wrapper for the Universal Platform, so it only seems to interfere on Windows 10 (as Win 7 don't support UWP).

And getting the separate pedals and wheel working at the same time is then just a matter of enabling the combining options in X360CE. And then obviously start Xoutput before running the game.

It's all a bit unstable and sometimes the controllers or the apps stop responding, so you have to reboot, but when it works, it works fine.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records