iRacing

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Is it worth building a custom spec pc especially for this game? I was thinking of a desktop and plugging it into my plasma TV. +-800€ for a "supercomp"

also, apologies Mr Ian. I forgot that you had the weekly NR2003 yesterday. Could you tell me what I should download in order to be ready? I promise it won't happen again.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

First and foremost: you need a wheel. Nothing else will do. A decent stationary PC is good enough, a wheel is the critical point IMO.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

If you signup to the forum and fill in the entry form on the site (so you can pick a number etc. etc.) all the stuff is on the forum, next week is Martinsville, it will be a baptism of fire, but we're trying a nice new track though, so could be good. Had two yellows at dega, one for a lost engine, another a stupid crash when a Russian thought he was driving a snow plough :lol:

As Jacob says, comfy solid seat and correctly positioned monitor is all that's needed to get started in either. I saw your post on wheels at tbk, personally I have a 8 year old G25, I also have a G27 but I prefer the G25. Now iirc, the internals of the DFGT wheel are the same as the G25 aside from one motor, so if you can get a DFGT and a squash ball (to put under the brake) and don't want to spend the dosh on a G27, get that, but if you've got the spare cash sloshing about, get the G27.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

before buying my wheel, I want to make sure I can attach it to something good. My TV is set quite low.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The G25 is still very good. Reliable and simple. I got it for years just like Ian and it is the best wheel i ever had.
Maybe i can make it at martinsville. The band decided to rehearse at different days.. So the Thursday will be free soon for me! :)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Antonov wrote:before buying my wheel, I want to make sure I can attach it to something good. My TV is set quite low.
Your monitor/tv needs to be in a decent position, it will get very uncomfortable very fast if it's 6 foot away at a 45 degree angle 2 foot off the ground and you're sitting on the sofa trying to "drive".
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Going by what people say, iRacing only seems to be getting worse. Every update breaks something that was previously working. I said I wouldn't come back until it was 'fixed' and looking back, it's three years next month since I last had a sub! On the other hand...Assetto Corsa looks like the sim to have right now and if I wasn't a poor Uni student, I'd seriously be tempted :wink:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Assetto Corsa has impressed me a lot. A few things could be better though. Wheel calibration for instance. Or that 5 second penalty...
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote:Going by what people say, iRacing only seems to be getting worse. Every update breaks something that was previously working. I said I wouldn't come back until it was 'fixed' and looking back, it's three years next month since I last had a sub! On the other hand...Assetto Corsa looks like the sim to have right now and if I wasn't a poor Uni student, I'd seriously be tempted :wink:
iRacing has become a lot better actually. No more iceRacing, you can actually feel the cars now.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

The same as in Assetto Corsa. I can feel the cars in a way i never experienced in any other sim till now.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Tbh you're in a minority there Jacob, I did a race at dega last week, first time in months, and it didn't feel any different to normal, ice ice ice baby...

Start a thread on ac if you want at v8 Erwin, I have it and installed the server a long time ago, but never went further than that with it, with it not having cautions it's not my cup of tea but I'd give it a go if more had it, AFAIK only us two have it (at v8).

The thing that annoys me most about iRacing is they continuously release new content and don't fix the old broken stuff, then as Paul says, the new stuff breaks something else, it must be 2 years ago they introduced flaggers with the promise it was an interim model and an updated complete one would follow, well when would that be? LOL, I know it's flaggers so not a top priority, but they're like that everywhere. It's like they all collectively suffer from ADHD.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

I don't drive stock cars, but the sports cars are great.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I tried the corvette last build and it was, how can I say, strange, found it very hard to anticipate what the car was going to do, other cars were better though, the srf is the dogs bits in the fun dept.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

I'm going karting tonight, so I'm afraid I can't make it again. Sorry Mr Ian.

Maybe we can try some other time and see if I'm actually any good?
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

I've been mostly driving Adv. Mazda Cup and Grand Touring Cup w/ Solstice lately, both in Bathurst this week. For some reason, I just can't handle the GT3 properly, so I'm getting back to it probably next week or before next MoE event.

For anyone looking for an absolute blast, I can recommend those combos heartily. Also, would be lovely to actually race with one of you guys. I know Jacob's probably busy with GT3 though, and I haven't seen Ian online lately. Come on guys, you'd kick my ass any day. :tongue:
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I can't be bothered to race on the service ATM.