FIA takes steps to reduce porpoising in the interests of safety

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago I actually just had a thought...
This could be a Mercedes masterstroke. So now they have to redesign the car to comply with the regulations. And they now have an exemption to the spending cap because it is safety and rules compliance... :omg:
You could be right, I hope you're not, but you could be.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

One thought about Mercedes' problems with porpoising. I wondered, how is it possible that such a big name has such problems with the aerodynamics? Then suddenly i remembered this:

Did the Mercedes designers underestimate the porpoising or do they have problems with aerodynamics in general?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago One thought about Mercedes' problems with porpoising. I wondered, how is it possible that such a big name has such problems with the aerodynamics? Then suddenly i remembered this:

Did the Mercedes designers underestimate the porpoising or do they have problems with aerodynamics in general?
BUMPY track
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Here's an idea, get rid of ground effect again have the cars sliding around with no grip, keeping the aero package the same. The best drivers adapt and cope within a week or two. Cars are far slower - so what? Latifis wouldn't last long
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

F1 teams set for FIA meeting over porpoising solutions

Technical chiefs are set to meet the FIA this week to try to find solutions to the championship’s porpoising controversy before the British Grand Prix.

Lots of arguments from different sides over the manner and format of the FIA directives, the late timings in fact the whole thing turned into a handbags at dawn with teams ranging from Im all right Jack, our designers sorted the issues at source through to our pooer drivers are at rissk of injuries and crashes.... with a bit of we cant possiblty sort this within a budget cap given all the work and development blah blah blah.

Oh and poor Toto felt ganged up on. Poor diddums. He is worried that political manoeuvring that has been going on doesn't consider what is at the core of this topic.

Political manoeuvring in F1. Whatever next! That those words came out of the mouth of the master of political manoeuvring in F1 made me chuckle. :haha:

So a meeting away from the heat of competition is set to happen.... The topics of discussion are likely to involve analysis of the data that the FIA gathered on vertical oscillations over the Montreal weekend, and whether or not it is feasible to try to impose limits at some point in the future.

The FIA also wants to gather information from teams about potential changes to the technical regulations for 2023 that could give them more scope to cure the porpoising issues longer term.

This could include aero changes, revised suspension systems or even the unbanning of tools like mass dampers.. How very noughties. :wink:

So they are going to sit 10 self interested headless chooks down with an FIA referee / chairman and hope to find resolution and agreement.

Yeah good luck with that.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Then within hours of a meeting being convened.....

Mercedes claims its F1 car porpoising issue is now "solved". :haha: :haha:

Mercedes believes it has solved its main porpoising problems in Formula 1, and instead its issues are now caused by how stiff and low it needs to run its car. I thought that had been common knowledge since the late 1970's / early 80's. :banghead: :banghead: .
Certainly nothing new for this year.

So next step? Probably want all the kerbs removed. and any bumps removed from tracks so the cars dont have to worry about suspension set too hard.. :suspicious: :whistling:

Just make them raise the suspension already. Give up on this year and use it as an education of what not to do next year. And get to work on next years car early.

DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

FIA takes steps to reduce porpoising in the interests of safety (Mercedes)
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Anyone getting bored of this porpoising bizzo yet? It seems to have become a den of procrastination and mañana philosophy.

FIA delays porpoising technical directive

Teams will face no additional restrictions with regards to porpoising and car set-up at this weekend’s Formula 1 British Grand Prix after the introduction of a Technical Directive was delayed.

Just prior to the Canadian Grand Prix, it was revealed the FIA was looking to, in part, define a limit to the acceptable vertical movement of cars.

It was planned to introduce the technical directive in Montreal, though the sport’s governing body instead opted to use the event as a data gathering exercise.

That is set to be the case once again in Silverstone this weekend as the FIA seeks a greater understanding of the issue.

After the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton revealed he experienced 10G loads through his back during the course of the race, which saw him gingerly climb from his Mercedes F1 W13.

Currently, teams can be as aggressive as their drivers will tolerate when it comes to set-up of the car.

So nothing has changed :idunno: (The cynical side of me suggests Merc are now back pedalling on demands as the rules changing might be more against them than their apparent gains in development. And seemingly for Merc friendly circuits approaching as long as they can run low, one of the initially discussed safety measures.

By introducing an ‘Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric’ the FIA had hoped that it could define limits to what was considered acceptable bouncing.

Once set, the penalty for any entry exceeding that figure will be exclusion.

Teams will also this weekend be unable to run a second stay to support the floor, with that allowance part of the now-delayed technical directive.

Mercedes found itself in the crosshairs in Canada after it was the only team able to add a second stay to its car......

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Anyone getting bored of this porpoising bizzo yet? It seems to have become a den of procrastination and mañana philosophy.
FIA delays porpoising technical directive

Teams will face no additional restrictions with regards to porpoising and car set-up at this weekend’s Formula 1 British Grand Prix after the introduction of a Technical Directive was delayed.

Just prior to the Canadian Grand Prix, it was revealed the FIA was looking to, in part, define a limit to the acceptable vertical movement of cars.

It was planned to introduce the technical directive in Montreal, though the sport’s governing body instead opted to use the event as a data gathering exercise.

That is set to be the case once again in Silverstone this weekend as the FIA seeks a greater understanding of the issue.
So it was delayed until France, which is the next race after Austria..... so they could amass more info

It seems they either still dont have enough info, or they have got the info and it doesnt warrant action.... either that or the rumours that those who are not suffering have found a way through what seems flexible floors is needing more thorough investigation.

FIA delays porpoising rule change again

A meeting of the Formula 1 Commission resulted in the FIA’s introduction of a technical directive to prevent excessive porpoising being pushed back to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa,

FIA Statement today:
“Following feedback and consultation with the teams and in order to allow the teams to make necessary updates to the plank and skid assemblies, which will ensure a fair application of the metric used to measure this oscillation across all cars, the implementation of the draft Technical Directive issued to the teams prior to the British Grand Prix will come into effect from the Belgian Grand Prix,” the FIA confirmed.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ferrari, who have been outspoken over mid season regulation changes and technical directives have today confirmed they will need to make changes to their floor to meet the new regulations / FIA directives that were due to come in to place already but have now been put off until Spa.

As we know it was always though Ferrari were one of the couple of teams thought to be exploiting the rules re measuring the wear on the plank as originally written.

Basically with todays confirmation from them they have officially outed themselves as being an exploiter.....
“On the floor, there will be some changes which will be required because now a new clarification has been issued, a new test which is required, or new requirements, new specification,” Binotto admitted.

“It will take some time to do it, so at least I think it’s good to relax it to Belgium.”
Will we see a sudden downturn in the capabilities of Ferrari at Spa? Might we hear over the coming days, similar admissions from Red Bull? Will they be 'game changing' in the overall picture?

Things seem to be falling in Mercedes favour. Again.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Ferrari...have today confirmed they will need to make changes to their floor to meet the new regulations...

Things seem to be falling in Mercedes favour. Again.
Well, if they weren't doing a creative cheat, and Red Bull and Ferrari were (which I gather Ferrari has effectively admitted to), then.....

Anyhow, latest article on flex floors from Autosport: https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... de1af3c179
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Another article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... e9ec3f2289

To quote:
‘At Mercedes, they suspect that this is precisely why Ferrari and Red Bull are so much better at dealing with undulating tracks,’ state Auto Motor und Sport.

Red Bull have been clear in stating that they will not need to alter the floor on their RB18 to satisfy the technical directive.

All will be clear at Spa.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Mercedes ego at play: if they're faster, they must be cheating.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

FIA acts on porpoising,

Sort of touched on in other areas of the forum but this latest info here as well because thats where it started...

The FIA WMSC has approved changes to the 2022 and 2023 Formula 1 technical regulations to address porpoising, (while also introducing greater safety standards for the roll hoop.)

It follows a meeting of the Formula 1 Technical Advisory Committee earlier this year which determined that the sport would introduce new technical rules for 2023.

Re porpoising of course now they are getting round to introducing things after threats all year they introducece something that has to be more helpful to Mercedes than others and draws the line back at Mercedes levels. And just when was the word porpoising ever even used as an issue. (Canada I reckon). The teams have evolved. The problem is gone already.

I must admit I am still a little confused about whether or not the WSMC approval covers the re-definig. the measuring points for Spa or not. (I have taken very little internet / F1 stuff on board since Hungary as been laid low by chest infection which I / docs seem to be finally starting to get on top of. Very little interest in anything much tbh)

Anyway of course the changes are all down to Safety and not interference from teams. Yeah right.
(I have no issue with whatever changes they have made to the roll hoop regs after what happened to Zhou.... that was saftey, the porpoising not so) IMO

The FIA have already admitted what seems to their being more teams unhappy now than previously putting the changes as an act of duty :sick:
“Safety is absolutely the highest priority for the FIA, and we have devoted significant time and resources to the analysis and resolution of the issue of porpoising,” Ben Sulayem said.

“I have personally discussed this matter with all of the teams and drivers, and while of course there are some differences in opinion owing to varying competitive positions, it is very clear that the FIA has a duty to act and ensure that the drivers are not put at undue risk of injury as a result of this phenomenon.”