F1 point scoring system, now and then

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

F1 point scoring system, now and then

Post by Starling »

I feel that the current F1 scoring system is somewhat unfair. Giving 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 seems to take into account beforehand the fact that the leader(s) will certainly be ahead of the followers by almost a lap or more. But what if the two leaders were closer? A gap of less than a second, or even a flying finish, would mean a loss of 7 points for second place. Is this normal?

Having followed the latest races, a driver in second place will almost NEVER overtake the leader towards the end of the race.

I'm not saying that the Golden Age was better. From 1962 to 1990 the scoring system was 9-6-4-3-2-1. I deem it unfair too, because places 7-10 were not rated. However, first place and second place drivers would be separated only by 3 points, which back then made sense because a flying finish was more likely.

What say you? I'll add that I'm totally in favour of adding a point for Fastest Lap (as is done now) and Pole Position (not sure if it's done now)
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

IMO, the first 3 or 5 in the Grid should have points as well.

Also coming up with some points scheme for the mid-fielders
Last edited by DownForce 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

The 964321 system was also complemented by dropped scores, effectively further boosting the value of higher placed finishes (in a way that is impossible to quantify in an exact way). I assume the change to 10 points in 1991 was a way of compensating for this once all scores counted.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I honestly don't have a problem with the points system as it is. I prefer it to the old system as more drivers get a chance to gain points.

The one thing I might change is that I do think pole should earn you at least a point as well, or maybe as @DownForce says, the top 3 on the grid.

Oh and welcome back @Starling :happy:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I think the current points is too generous. There needs to be a bigger gap between 1st and 2nd. We would have more desperation out on track and a more interesting drivers championship.

But then again I came from the age when 10-6-4-3-2-1 was the system and anyone after 6th place got nothing. Zero. Out of a 26 car field!
These days we seem to give out participation trophies when we reward points down to 10th. Why? So if HAAS get 5 10th place points in a season, how is that better than the old system? Does it just make them feel better about being last ("well, at least we got 5 points this year")?

The Sprint race now even further complicates it. Why only the top 3 and not top 10 (10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1)? It almost seems as they are using the older system.

Get rid of the Sprint race. Get rid of fastest lap points. Go back to points only on the top 6. Done!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Well, attrition used to be much bigger in the old days. They expanded the points system when 16-17 cars finishing a race became a norm, not a rarity anymore.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Yep, you'd be struggling to find finishers 7-10 in many races in the good old days

You'd have had to award a few points to corpses too ;)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless