2022 Sweet Loretta Martin Get Back to Baku Azerbaijan GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
White six wrote: 1 year ago It's amazing how many of these 'optimum' one stoppers turn out to be two stoppers
I think that today the earliness of the first VSC and therefore it not being right in the window, given it left a near enough 40 lap (240klms) stint to the end of the race, a stint length no one got near to emulating in practice it left a wide unknown as to whether they would last. Throw in a second VSC in an ideal window for a soft rubber sprint to the finish and its a no brainer. Even those felt they could have lasted took the stop option because a
) in real time it was a 10second penalty as opposed to 20+ under green
b) everyone else was doing it and when you have old hards against others on new softs its a no brainer.
c) the only thing that would say dont do it is somewhere like Monaco where track position is more key than lap time. At Baku with a monster DRS zone it more important to get off the last corner before the straight well enough to be right in the tow zone whenyou open your flap so to speak.
At somewhere like Monaco you often get the scenario we saw with Alonso at Monaco, position your car carefully you can be 3 seconds a lap off the pace and still not get passed. Baku not so much.

My 2 cents.
Er, not really. Only the 2 red bulls and the 2 mercedes did two stops (apart from a couple backmarkers), and only Tsunoda used softs (after his unscheduled pit stop).
You'll notice the 2 red bulls and 2 mercs were the most successful cars. ;)

Be nice to see everything play out but to me it looked like Charlie was far more likely to threaten max by 2 stopping
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, I threw in the towel after 32 laps. Apparently didn't miss anything.
You missed Lewis getting a cold seat.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Just seen the race. Not exactly exciting. Ferrari are having serious issues with their engines and they need to sort it out quickly. I did feel sorry for Leclerc when his engine let go the way it did. That had to hurt, mind you Sainz had a mechanical failure too, his season is going from bad to worse.

Some friction at McLaren between their drivers it seems, mind you, Ricciardo doesn't sound like a happy bunny period. It's not working for him at that team it appears. Some places work well, others don't and McLaren and Daniel aren't a good fit for some reason.

Great drive by the two Red Bulls for another 1-2 finish. Mind you Ferrari are all but handing it to them now aren't they?

I was very happy with Vettel's finish, he did very well in that car. The irony being he had his incident right after Mark Webber said how great he was doing, I think Seb heard him and was so shocked he had a moment ;)

All in all it wasn't a race that will live in the memory long, for me it was very forgettable.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Seb gets "escape road escape" of the weekend. No 5 point turns for him!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Seb gets "escape road escape" of the weekend. No 5 point turns for him!
I literally cheered when I saw Seb do that! An amazing reaction and recovery from a mistake. :bow:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Seb gets "escape road escape" of the weekend. No 5 point turns for him!
Clearly experienced in the situation :haha:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

I am not convinced it was mistake on Vettel's part. It's just racing in pure form.

After this race he has later confirmed that he was pushing his machine on its limit and beyond. Each of us in here know in those situations even one of the smallest factors can make difference on the outcome. Moreover, his car of today is not as agile as his RB of late. Each race is path to new re-learning characteristics of his heavy machine.

I've noticed long time ago that media placed this driver in no win situation. Whilst other drivers had just simple off, he is almost always a marked man who makes HUGE ERRORS. In the past when he tried to explain his case, certain media accused him of whining and making stupid excuses.
Today he is not beating his head against the wall, and he will often just say, it was my mistake, regardless of facts, and save himself reading of vitriolic ink day after.

That's how I see it.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Stroll fans who said Vettel was crap are quiet right now. You love to see it.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ferrari might be in deep trouble with engines. Regulatory restriction (in Sep?) may pour cold water on Leclerc's WDC ambitions. Resorting to a cliche, it's not over until it's over, however after last race I think Max has to redefine who is his principal rival. It is his comrade in arms. I don't see anyone else. Ferrari is finish for this year IMHO. Christmas came early for RB.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Don't count your chickens before they hatch... er...

This season is far from over. Take it from me.

NO, DON'T TAKE IT.... GIVE IT BACK!!! :-x :tearful:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
All in all it wasn't a race that will live in the memory long, for me it was very forgettable.
I watched the highlights and the most interesting bit seemed to be Vettel's "u-turn" from the run off area... Ferrari ding their usual best at inflicting themselves self harm
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 year ago
I watched the highlights and the most interesting bit seemed to be Vettel's "u-turn" from the run off area... Ferrari ding their usual best at inflicting themselves self harm
All I got was highlights, and to be fair, there weren't many of them as you rightly say.

Good to see you here again my friend :mates:

I forgot to mention earlier, that tape the put on Tsunoda's rear wing seemed a bit dodgy. Luckily it didn't fail because on a track like that a rear wing failure could have been a complete disaster!!

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
Clearly experienced in the situation :haha:.
Also quality of the driver.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 year ago
All I got was highlights, and to be fair, there weren't many of them as you rightly say.

Good to see you here again my friend :mates:

I forgot to mention earlier, that tape the put on Tsunoda's rear wing seemed a bit dodgy. Luckily it didn't fail because on a track like that a rear wing failure could have been a complete disaster!!
Its maybe not as bad as it looks. Not sure what detail was shown in hi-lights but the tape isnt to hold anything on to the car..... Tsunoda was orange flagged because his DRS was opening more often than it should, so more DRS than others. So he pitted and the tape was to stop the DRS opening at all so it was permanently shut, disabling it in effect, rather than almost fully open.(better no DRS than a DSQ for a breach of regs)
It wasnt them trying to tape something together so it woulnt break off in front of other cars. It was just a disablement attempt.

I would have thought one of their engineers would have been able to disable DRS via his laptop. Maybe that had already been tried. If all else fails use racetape :idunno: :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ferrari should give Yuki an honourable mention as their cars used to be totally held together by gaffa tape.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Stroll fans who said Vettel was crap are quiet right now. You love to see it.
Stroll has fans? Where? In Canada? :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...