2022 Sweet Loretta Martin Get Back to Baku Azerbaijan GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Stroll fans who said Vettel was crap are quiet right now. You love to see it.
Stroll has fans? Where? In Canada? :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

For a bit of fun, I looked up the standings at half distance (half way around lap 26), and calculated time losses in both race halves:

Code: Select all

VER       - (P) +    - (V) =     -
PER     6.9 (P) + 13.9 (V) =  20.8
RUS    19.1 (V) + 26.8 (V) =  45.9
HAM    43.9 (V) + 27.7 (V) =  71.6
GAS    40.6 (V) + 36.6 (-) =  77.2
VET    52.6 (V) + 31.4 (-) =  84.0
ALO    55.8 (P) + 32.7 (-) =  88.5
RIC    44.7 (-) + 47.5 (V) =  92.2
NOR    65.8 (P) + 26.7 (-) =  92.5
OCO    54.4 (-) + 53.7 (V) = 108.1
BOT    63.1 (-) + 54.2 (V) = 117.3*
ALB    65.3 (V) + 53.6 (P) = 118.9*
TSU    49.1 (V) + 71.4 (P) = 120.5*
All figures are gap to leader in seconds rounded to tenths.
(P) includes regular pit stop
(V) includes pit stop under VSC
(-) does not include pit stop
* flagged one lap short, so gap extrapolated from time for 50 laps

I find it quite interesting, and would comment that none of the top three finishers had much reason to push in the second half, and that a pit stop under VSC is considered to be worth ten seconds over a regular pit stop, which probably cost in the region of 21, 22 seconds.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Its maybe not as bad as it looks. Not sure what detail was shown in hi-lights but the tape isnt to hold anything on to the car..... Tsunoda was orange flagged because his DRS was opening more often than it should, so more DRS than others. So he pitted and the tape was to stop the DRS opening at all so it was permanently shut, disabling it in effect, rather than almost fully open.(better no DRS than a DSQ for a breach of regs)
It wasnt them trying to tape something together so it woulnt break off in front of other cars. It was just a disablement attempt.

I would have thought one of their engineers would have been able to disable DRS via his laptop. Maybe that had already been tried. If all else fails use racetape :idunno: :haha:
Err, no. Tsunoda's DRS wing section broke in half. One side was still connected to the DRS, the other side was flapping open at speed. It was the flapping side (connected at the upright, but not in the center) that was at risk of breaking loose. The crew tapped it in the center connecting it to the other half and then used tape to tape down both sides in an attempt to disable the DRS.
Found a pic and posted below. Note how one side is open so far you can no longer see the element. It's flapping behind the main support that runs horizontal (that connects the DRS mechanism).

I would have given him a hazzard flag for that. Luckily the tape held for the rest of the race, but the fix was "DODGY" at best.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Whoops..... that was happens when you go from full attention mode to doing other things (like multitasking with Le Mans and making coffee and stuff.).... that little story I told was how I understood what Brundle was saying about how it was opening too often. My bad. I saw the gaffa tape on and put together with what I thought Brundle had said. Oh and I had been awake for 24 hours, by then as well.

I screwed up clearly. :blush: :blush: :blush: Now I know what really happened. Thanks for the correction. Apologies.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 year ago
All in all it wasn't a race that will live in the memory long, for me it was very forgettable.
I watched the highlights and the most interesting bit seemed to be Vettel's "u-turn" from the run off area... Ferrari ding their usual best at inflicting themselves self harm
All I got was highlights, and to be fair, there weren't many of them as you rightly say.

Good to see you here again my friend :mates:

I forgot to mention earlier, that tape the put on Tsunoda's rear wing seemed a bit dodgy. Luckily it didn't fail because on a track like that a rear wing failure could have been a complete disaster!!
Its maybe not as bad as it looks. Not sure what detail was shown in hi-lights but the tape isnt to hold anything on to the car..... Tsunoda was orange flagged because his DRS was opening more often than it should, so more DRS than others. So he pitted and the tape was to stop the DRS opening at all so it was permanently shut, disabling it in effect, rather than almost fully open.(better no DRS than a DSQ for a breach of regs)
It wasnt them trying to tape something together so it woulnt break off in front of other cars. It was just a disablement attempt.

I would have thought one of their engineers would have been able to disable DRS via his laptop. Maybe that had already been tried. If all else fails use racetape :idunno: :haha:
Thanks for clarifying that, the way I heard it, he had an issue with the rear wing and they taped it shut. I didn't know it was only that the DRS was opening too often. I clearly missed that part :blush:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 year ago
All in all it wasn't a race that will live in the memory long, for me it was very forgettable.
I watched the highlights and the most interesting bit seemed to be Vettel's "u-turn" from the run off area... Ferrari ding their usual best at inflicting themselves self harm
All I got was highlights, and to be fair, there weren't many of them as you rightly say.

Good to see you here again my friend :mates:

I forgot to mention earlier, that tape the put on Tsunoda's rear wing seemed a bit dodgy. Luckily it didn't fail because on a track like that a rear wing failure could have been a complete disaster!!

Thanks for clarifying that, the way I heard it, he had an issue with the rear wing and they taped it shut. I didn't know it was only that the DRS was opening too often. I clearly missed that part :blush:
As it happens I got it wrong.... read post above by @XcraigX who explains it all as it happened rather than my version which seems to have been more lack of attention and bad interpretation of what I heard..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I was in a rush first thing this morning, so I only read you rpost @Everso Biggyballies and I assumed I was wrong. Apparently we both were.

Thanks for clarifying the issue with Tsunoda's rear wing @XcraigX, very much appreciated. I thought it was a more serious issue and apparently, it was. So I'll say again, putting tape on it, especially at a track like that with so few run off areas, was a terrible risk in my view.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

There was no structural damage as such, just the one element that broke, hence it opened only partially. They taped the flappy part to the solid one, and disabled DRS, so what was going to go wrong? It's not like one of the stays was damaged, just the element that is designed to swap between those two positions anyway, and now it was fixed. No big deal.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.