The American Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

The American Market

Post by Ruslan »

Just saw this article from MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... d=msedgntp

While I am sure a lot of people here don't really care about F1's penetration in the U.S. market, it still makes up like a quarter of the world's economy. From a business point of view, it makes sense to be here. Some people in F1 over the decades have gone out their way through ignorance or prejudice or just short-term thinking to try to play down or dismiss this market. But, F1 is taking off here.

I was thinking about catching Miami or Montreal and/or Austin, and suddenly found in January they were all already sold out. Never has that been an issue before.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Just saw this article from MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... d=msedgntp

While I am sure a lot of people here don't really care about F1's penetration in the U.S. market, it still makes up like a quarter of the world's economy. From a business point of view, it makes sense to be here. Some people in F1 over the decades have gone out their way through ignorance or prejudice or just short-term thinking to try to play down or dismiss this market. But, F1 is taking off here.

I was thinking about catching Miami or Montreal and/or Austin, and suddenly found in January they were all already sold out. Never has that been an issue before.
I was on the list to get Miami tickets early. But they were sold out before I could even try. Some of the people at the front of the line purchased multiples and are reselling (professional scalpers).
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago I was on the list to get Miami tickets early. But they were sold out before I could even try. Some of the people at the front of the line purchased multiples and are reselling (professional scalpers).
Yea, in the past I always started looking at getting tickets to Montreal in the middle of January and never had a problem getting good seats. This time, I could not get tickets at any of the three GPs. Furthermore, all the prices of the hotels in the area had doubled. The whole thing was getting absurdly expensive, so I scrubbed my plans to see three-four grand prixs in person this year.

There is obviously a market here that there was not before. I think it is mostly generated by Drive to Survive. I have been going to Grand Prixs for 40 years. This was never a problem before.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

FOM certainly seems to think there is an audience to be tapped. Just read that F1 will be going to Las Vegas in 23. That's three races in the US then.
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

I for one can attest that while I normally sit on an island of my own F1 fiefdom here in the US, I suddenly have many more people to talk with about F1. Even old friends who are just getting into it are reaching out asking me questions because they are now interested. Drive to Survive has been responsible for at least 1/2 of them. The other half have simply found the broadcasting on ESPN after watching some other sport and got hooked.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

How accessible is F1 in the US compared to say, Indycar or NASCAR? Is it behind its own paywall, same as everywhere else in the world?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago How accessible is F1 in the US compared to say, Indycar or NASCAR? Is it behind its own paywall, same as everywhere else in the world?
No. It's broadcast on basic cable. With major races broadcast on our over the air network, ABC (Brittian, Monaco, Canada, and the US races). Right now F1 is equal in accessibility to NASCAR, and better than IndyCar (only the 500 over air).
However, we just get the Sky feed with occasional commercial breaks (during red flag or between Q sessions). They often broadcast the pre-race on ESPN 6 (or something like that) and then the race will be on the main ESPN or ESPN 2 channel. So we get to see commentary from Ant, Karun, Johnny Herbert, and Button, and the occasional Nico with the live screams from Crofty and comments from Brundle during the race. Often the feed is cut just after the podium (especially if the race runs long), but we often get the post race interviews to fill the 2.5 ~ 3 hour slot for the shorter races.

Years ago it was on NBC Sports and they employed their own broadcast team commenting on the live F1 feed. Felt it was better back then, but buried in the back cable channels (you needed more of a premium sport subscription to get them). The very basic cable packages did not include all the sports channels, but it was an easy upgrade (from something like Basic up to Bronze?) rather than a separate add on. This is where IndyCar is now. If I cut the cable out, I would only get to see maybe the Indianapolis 500 when it was broadcast over the air. However there is going to be 5 F1 races over the air this year, combined with a more basic cable access.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Random article on U.S. market: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... 86b3a8caaf

A few comments:

1. "To borrow a line from "The Godfather," Formula 1 and its owner, Liberty Media, believed in America. A small audience found it on weekend mornings on ESPN. Netflix took it mainstream with the "Drive to Survive" series in the United States, where a younger, passionate fan base emerged. Embracing social media seems to have heightened the attachment."

My son is now a Formula One fan. He never followed it before. One of his friends who knew nothing about F1 started watching "Drive to Survive" and recommended it to him.

2. “His [Ecclestone] opinion was, we’ve kind of locked in the people we want watching this, which is essentially old, rich people," Taylor said. "People who buy Rolex watches.

“A bit mad considering you have to keep the sport going.”

I have been saying this for years.

3. "Liberty has concentrated efforts on the youth market, Taylor said. A large part of that was playing up the entertainment attached to the sport."

Yep. Have to hook them as teenagers/young adults. In the end, even now, the people are a big part of the reason I keep following F1. They are part of the entertainment.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Watching the pre-game show on ESPN for round 1, game 3 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the Capitals... and it is all about F1. I have never seen F1 pre-empt a ball or puck sport before in the U.S.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Watching FP3 for a moment. Michelle Obama is in attendance.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ruslan wrote: 1 year ago 2. “His [Ecclestone] opinion was, we’ve kind of locked in the people we want watching this, which is essentially old, rich people," Taylor said. "People who buy Rolex watches.

The older fans have definitely been pushed away now in favour of a younger crowd, that's for sure. A crowd who probably cannot afford the TV subscription/ticket prices.

Apparently a grandstand ticket for this Miami race was $640 and the food/drinks were at the prices you see in cinemas. That seems way, way too high.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
Ruslan wrote: 1 year ago 2. “His [Ecclestone] opinion was, we’ve kind of locked in the people we want watching this, which is essentially old, rich people," Taylor said. "People who buy Rolex watches.

The older fans have definitely been pushed away now in favour of a younger crowd, that's for sure. A crowd who probably cannot afford the TV subscription/ticket prices.

Apparently a grandstand ticket for this Miami race was $640 and the food/drinks were at the prices you see in cinemas. That seems way, way too high.
It is. I was planning on attending, but waited until January to look at tickets and they were sold out !!!

Clearly had a full and enthusiastic crowd, and they were not mostly 70 year olds with Rolexes.
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Based on the turnout of audience last weekend, Miami should build a couple more grandstands for next year.
Miami and the Keys one of my favorite vacation places in the US
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

@PTRACER not sure where you got your prices from, but I was offered Grandstand tickets starting at $975 for the worst grandstand. Start finish straight was $2750. General admission for Sunday alone was $750. This was direct from the race organizers (not re-sellers).

Edit: Added the mention that I somehow dropped the first time.
Last edited by XcraigX 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago not sure where you got your prices from, but I was offered Grandstand tickets starting at $975 for the worst grandstand. Start finish straight was $2750. General admission for Sunday alone was $750. This was direct from the race organizers (not re-sellers).
.... and from what I understand the resellers were charging from $2000 for the cheap tickets.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always