2022 Saudi Arabian GP... The roof is on fire

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2022 Saudi Arabian GP... The roof is on fire

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

FORMULA 1 STC SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX 2022

Jeddah Corniche Circuit

Less than four months after its first visit, Formula 1 is back in Saudi Arabia.....

Yep, we move on to Jeddah this weekend at the track that had a few controversies last year, and concerns over the track as well.
We have had some changes to the track this year in light of those concerns, many of which concerned lines of sight at warp speed. I can only imagine that with the taller wheels this year, particularly at the front, this might still be an issue.

It's also the second consecutive night race under lights.

The questions we are no doubt all asking.....

Are going to see a continuation of the Ferrari resurgence?
Are Red Bull going to finish a race?
Are Mercedes going to have found something.... or will their porpoising be even worse here?
Plus of course will the Haas and Alfa form continue.
And at the other end of the scale, McLaren?

Oh and some (@Star)will be wondering if Seb will be fit and back in the car this weekend. There were hints he has yet to return a negative test, but that was yesterday.

Questions questions questions.

I will cover the track changes later in the post, but just to say that there are some that believe the track will be even faster this year than last.....

Anyway first up lets remind ourselves of the track.

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
6.174km

Race Distance
308.45 km

Lap Record
1:30.734 Lewis Hamilton (2021)

Jeddah
When was the track built?

The Jeddah Corniche Circuit is, you won’t be surprised to hear, a temporary street circuit (albeit adorned with some permanent sections), located on the Corniche – a 30km coastal resort area of the ancient Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah. Designed by the Tilke company, in conjunction with Formula 1’s own Motorsports team – who used Google Earth for their initial investigations into potential layouts – F1’s Ross Brawn said of the track: “What we want to see is a race circuit. We don’t want Mickey Mouse circuits. We don’t want those old classic street circuits with 90 degree turns. We want fast sweeping circuits, circuits which are going to challenge the drivers – and they are going to love it.”

When was its first Grand Prix?
The inaugural Saudi Arabian Grand Prix took place in 2021, the race joining its Middle Eastern counterparts in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi – while like those races, the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix also takes place under floodlights.

What's the circuit like?
Fast. Very fast. Average speeds around the Jeddah Corniche Circuit are around 250km/h – quicker than those at Silverstone, and second on the 2021 calendar only to Monza – aka ‘The Temple of Speed’. It is, quite simply, the fastest street circuit ever seen in Formula 1 – while the track also features the most corners on the calendar with 27, many of them quick, sinuous bends as the drivers wend their way along the Jeddah waterfront.

What happened last year

I guess the most remembered thing was the fact Max crashed in qualifying when cruising to a comfortable pole, but then in the race we saw the big 'brake-test controversy where neither Max or Lewis wanted to lead with the all important DRS zone round the corner favouring the following car.

Crashes, controversy and serious championship implications – the first ever race to be held at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit had it all.

Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton clashed multiple times throughout a bad-tempered encounter at the front of the pack – with Verstappen handed a five and 10-second penalty for two separate incidents on Lap 37, as Hamilton won the race to draw level on points with one round to go.

But there was plenty of action behind too, as Esteban Ocon came within an ace of scoring Alpine’s second consecutive podium – while two red flags were called for after crashes involving the likes of Nikita Mazepin, Sergio Perez and George Russell.

Video highlights of last years race.....

and qualifying....

Track changes for this year:

As I mentioned, a number of drivers reported issues with the sightlines around the track last year. GPDA chairman and then-Williams driver George Russell said the circuit was "lacking a lot from a safety perspective and a racing perspective".

Ahead of its second grand prix this weekend, Jeddah announced confirmed in January they would be making tweaks to the track in reaction to the drivers' feedback.

The only change in the actual profile of a corner has taken place at Turn 27, which has been widened by 1.5 metres at the exit. It was here where Max Verstappen clipped the wall at the end of Q3, denying him pole after a lap up to that point that won acclaim from other drivers.

A number of the corners have also had steel plates installed to create shoulders that should allow the cars to kiss the barriers more in places without damaging the car.

Martin Whitaker, the CEO of the Saudi Motorsport Company, thought the changes would all add up to make the circuit even faster. Last year's average speed for pole position in qualifying was 157 mph.

This is what he had to say back in January when the changes were confirmed.
"The footprint of the circuit remains the same, apart from Turn 27," Whitaker said. "We've just moved some of the barriers back a little bit in certain areas so it improves the sightline through that corner.

"It could make [the lap] a little bit quicker, one imagines, if it's not fast enough already. Most of the changes have effectively been done this year. I think we've effected between seven and 10 of the changes they were looking for. The rest will take a little bit longer.

"For example, the sightline on the inside of Turn 23/24 is a bigger task, and we just didn't have the time to do that. That's one area where I think the FIA race director can help in terms of telling the driver to be wary when they're going through, or not to slow down there when on a qualifying lap."

Whitaker explained there were "12 or 15 points around the circuit" that the FIA and F1 had asked the promoter to take a look at, chiefly focusing on sightlines, ahead of this year's race.

"The speed of the circuit is such that drivers were arriving very quickly on slower cars," Whitaker said. "I think the main issue there was not so much the race, but more in qualifying, where you've got cars backing off to take advantage of a decent lap.

"The FIA can do things about them obviously, because in the drivers' briefing they can tell people they can't slow down in certain corners or around certain areas.

"But predominantly, it was felt much better for us as the promoter and the organisers of the circuit to look at what we could do."
Enough about the track already.... What about the black round things

TYRES

In a nutshell its one notch softer with each the hard medium and soft that last weekend..... C2 as the White / hard, C3 as the Yellow /medium, and C4 as the Red / soft.

It is also the first time we will have seen the C4 compound used with the new tyre size and cars outside testing.
Pirelli explain tyre compound choice for 2022 Saudi Arabian GP
What tyres will the teams and drivers have for the 2022 Saudi Arabian GP
Pirelli wrote:This choice has been made as a result of Jeddah’s circuit characteristics (both in terms of layout and asphalt), the expected temperatures, as well as the data collected from the debut race in 2021. The new surface from last year offers a good level of grip (scoring three out of five in Pirelli’s classification) and reasonably contained levels of asphalt abrasion (scoring two out of five in Pirelli’s classification), which should lead to moderate wear and degradation. The severity of the loads and speeds is average, with overall tyre stress scoring three out of five. Due to the rapidly flowing layout, the track is not particularly demanding in terms of traction and braking (scoring two out of five in Pirelli’s classification). A high degree of track evolution over the weekend is expected, thanks also to the Formula 2 support race programme.

The fastest street circuit on the F1 calendar has changed a bit since making its debut on the calendar last year, as the result of modifications requested by the governing body following a few on-track incidents last time. These largely consist of opening up sight lines through corners by moving barriers further back, while the final turn (Turn 27) has been widened by the removal of a grandstand, which could make the lap slightly faster. Turn 13 (of 27) still features 12 degrees of banking, helping the rapid flow of the circuit that makes it the second-quickest lap of the year overall, after Monza.

The 50-lap Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is the second consecutive night race on the calendar, which means that track temperatures can differ between the sessions – as was the case in Bahrain – with FP2 and qualifying more representative of race conditions.
Pirelli Racing Manager Mario Isola explains the tyre selection for the second round of the 2022 Formula One season, the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, as reported by the Italian company’s official website:

“Jeddah marks a completely different challenge compared to the opening grand prix in Bahrain due to the diverse track characteristics, both in terms of layout and asphalt. Driver will also use a softer range of compounds this weekend to cope with the specific demands of the track, which is nearly as quick as Monza. The teams head into Jeddah with no experience of these tyres and cars on the circuit, and conditions could be somewhat different from last time in Saudi Arabia, with the race now being held at a different time of year and a few track modifications in store. The nominated compounds are the same as 2021, but their make-up has also changed entirely from last year. As a result, the teams will have a lot of work to do to assimilate as much data as possible during free practice, especially in FP2 which will be the only relevant session, being held at the same time as qualifying and the race.” – the Pirelli boss concluded.

What time is it on?

ALL LOCAL (JEDDAH) TIMES

27 MAR
Race
20:00 - 22:00

26 MAR
Qualifying
20:00 - 21:00

26 MAR
Practice 3
17:00 - 18:00

25 MAR
Practice 2
20:00 - 21:00

25 MAR
Practice 1
17:00 - 18:00

Ive highlighted P1 because for those doing the Guess The Pole comp, that is your deadline

You know the drill.... Head to the GTP Saudi thread here:viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17511

Discuss away....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

OK first up is a bit of news re Gasly....

Gasly heading for early F1 grid penalty after Bahrain “Barbie"
(Yes I know Bahrain Barbie sounds like a Lady of the Night.... :haha: )

AlphaTauri's Pierre Gasly may have taken a step towards an early Formula 1 grid penalty in 2022 after a suspected battery failure in Bahrain triggered a "Barbie". My take is that the headline is a bit dramatic and likely wont be this weekend

They have a major rebuild to do and talk is it might even need a new chassis for the weekend. (Budget. Cap. Blown.)

However, a longer term concern is that the team admits he may have to discard one of the two Honda energy stores he is allocated for the season after just one race weekend, which would almost certainly guarantee a grid penalty as he won’t be able to do the remaining races without a further change.

AlphaTauri technical director Jody Egginton confirmed that the team had no warning of any issues
"Other power unit elements might also have been damaged by the fire."...... How many other elements?.....
"It was an instantaneous failure, a total power loss electrically,” he told Motorsport.com. “At the moment it’s potentially related to the battery, we don't know exactly. So we're still investigating. We've got to find the fault first, but one scenario is that we have to change a power unit element.

“One minute the car was running, and then it was off, total failure. We lost power immediately, the car stopped and we had a fire.

"The source of the fire could be things that were very hot not being cooled properly. We've had a look at it, there's a lot of superficial damage.”

Egginton conceded that the crew now had a lot of work on its hands before the car runs on Friday on Jeddah.

“We're still assessing, but as a minimum the rear suspension will be new, a lot of the wiring will be new, the bodywork was singed.

"We'll assess the battery, we'll assess the ICE, because there's a lot of fire extinguishant gone over the car. Worst case, it's a power unit element and a chassis, but at the moment, it's too early to say.

“Anything that's connected to the power unit or the gearbox would have got hot, the fire was around the area, And again, everything's had fire extinguishant all over it.

"So we could potentially change all these bits and send them back to the factory for full inspection.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mercedes’ straight-line speed deficit due to drag levels, not power unit

So says Toto.

Im not buying it though..... its not just them. The six (customer) cars of Aston Martin, McLaren and Williams were the last to cross the line in Bahrain.

Do they all coincidentally have high drag problems and no-one else does? Toto Wolff indicated the difference in straight-line speed could be down to the configuration of their car. Mercedes have encountered difficulties with porpoising which have forced them to make set-up compromises.

“We need to analyse the drag levels first before we really make a judgement of whether we we’re lacking power,” said Wolff. “I don’t think that there’s big differences between the power units.

Tell that to the Ferrari and customer teams who by that Toto theory must all be running in some super low drag setup.

With Jeddah being the second fastest track on the calendar last year (258kph Monza 253kph Jeddah). By all accounts Jeddah will be faster this year than last thanks to the track changes mentioned in the opening post. So are all the Merc teams going to be in poo poo again this weekend given its a higher speed track thn Bahrain?

Toto's answer.....“It’s easy to shed drag off a car because you simply take a chainsaw and cut the rear wing to bits,” he said. “So that’s what we will be doing for Jeddah.”

For info here are the Bahrain trap speeds

Actually maybe Toto has a point.... the two Williams cars were the quickest Merc engined cars through the traps. Or as I suspect, they reduced the drag to make up for the engine lack of power so much that the drag reduction affected the handling.

PFINISH SPEED (KM/H) TRAP SPEED (KM/H)
Perez 291.4 Perez 323.2
Verstappen 290.7 Verstappen 322.9
Alonso 290.7 Alonso 321.5
Ocon 289.7 Ocon 320.4
Schumacher 289.4 Latifi 319.4
Latifi 289.3 Schumacher 318.4
Leclerc 289.2 Magnussen 318.2
Sainz 289.7 Tsunoda 318.1
Albon 288.6 Gasly 317.3
Magnussen 288.5 Albon 316.7
Gasly 288.3 Leclerc 316.6
Zhou 288.0 Sainz 315.9
Tsunoda 287.9 Norris 315.7
Norris 287.5 Bottas 315.5
Bottas 287.4 Hamilton 315.4
Hamilton 286.3 Zhou 315.1
Russell 286.1 Russell 314.0
Stroll 284.6 Ricciardo 311.6
Hulkenberg 284.3 Stroll 311.5
Ricciardo 283.9 Hulkenberg 310.0

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I’m still quite concerned about the danger posed by the track. Not sure the modificatioms went far enough.

I hope Max repeata his qualy lap from last year and actually completes it without hitting anything so we can look back at the qualy lap of the century.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

This circuit could be even more dangerous with porpoising on the high speed 'sweeps'

I'll be surprised if we get through the weekend without a big one

Max should really win due to straight line speed, unless the Ferrari rumours are true that they didn't turn up the engine very far

Mercedes should theoretically struggle more than in Bahrain
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Btw I'd love seb or hammy to start protesting.

81 killed by the state the other week. Yes, other countries on the calendar do this too, but we have zero transparency, no idea why these people were killed at all.

We shouldn't be in Saudi
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

White six wrote: 2 years ago Btw I'd love seb or hammy to start protesting.

81 killed by the state the other week. Yes, other countries on the calendar do this too, but we have zero transparency, no idea why these people were killed at all.

We shouldn't be in Saudi
Seb has to be fit to be in Saudi yet. As @Everso Biggyballies said I am keeping an eye out for news on that front. I have yet to see anything positive :sorrow:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We shouldn't be in Saudi
I was going to mention something about that in the intro..... in fact I was going to call it "The Off-with-your-Jedd-AHHH GP or something along those lines.

Sadly in F1 terms $$Money$$ means more than :angelic: Morals :angelic:

But F1 will (just) justify it by saying some garbage about how F1 can influence those in control to behave themselves..... we of course know it is all about Sportswashing, Saudi leaders want throw their millions around to use high-profile sporting events like the GP purely to distract from the grim realities of life in the kingdom. :insulted:

The utter hypocrisy of F1 with its "Commitment to equality and diversity", racing at places like Saudi and then saying bollocks stuff like "F1 shouldn’t get involved in politics" :aggro: :nuts: :insulted:

Dont take their bloody money and dont run or promote their GP and walk around with their eyes shut to the atrocities of life there for the other 51 weeks of the year. Or no doubt 52 weeks of the year away from the Sportswash Strip of the the Jeddah Corniche

Oh and we dont have the W series on the card this weekend.
[/rant]

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I'm surprised some sort of journalist protest or boycott hasn't been suggested

That's the first thing I'd think of it I was a journalist or photographer there.

I remember years ago I was invited to shoot over there by a Saudi friend of mine, but as they won't let westerners into the holy sites it was a waste of time. We shot in Jordan instead. He's now left Saudi himself and is happy as Larry in the west
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago

We shouldn't be in Saudi
Seb has to be fit to be in Saudi yet. As @Everso Biggyballies said I am keeping an eye out for news on that front. I have yet to see anything positive :sorrow:
Well I guess the lack of anything positive would be good..... as long as it was a test result.
A Covid test is one of the few times you dont want news to be positive. :wink:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

To go or not to go should be realistically a decision determined on some kind of evaluation criteria. My instinct is telling me, that we would most likely end up then either going nowhere, and shutting F1 down (unthinkable), or we would go everywhere, so why even bother starting that fire. Judging you, judging me is mighty slippery process. (Something about glass houses.)

The thing is - "You (we) can't handle the truth", thundering Col. Nathan R. Jessep (Nicholson) in "A few Good Men". Fits here nicely.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago To go or not to go should be realistically a decision determined on some kind of evaluation criteria. My instinct is telling me, that we would most likely end up then either going nowhere, and shutting F1 down (unthinkable), or we would go everywhere, so why even bother starting that fire. Judging you, judging me is mighty slippery process. (Something about glass houses.)

The thing is - "You (we) can't handle the truth", thundering Col. Nathan R. Jessep (Nicholson) in "A few Good Men". Fits here nicely.
Your instinct is a load of cobblers tbh. We could easily decide where it's ethical to visit, and where it's not. There'd just be less money swilling around
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Spotted in Saudi Arabia!! I am very hopeful :oimate:

Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Star wrote: 2 years ago Spotted in Saudi Arabia!! I am very hopeful :oimate:

OK, Vettel's number is there, but I think crucial test was planned for tomorrow. I still think he should sit out this second race as well. Just yesterday he had soar throat and whatever else, and today he will go racing in F1 car? I bet if Sid Watkins was alive, Seb would not be racing this weekend, regardless test result. Prof. Watkins was very particular about fitness of drivers to race. (There is body of literature on this subject somewhere in libraries/sport medicine, trauma from injuries, and other.)
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'm sure the drivers are particular about their fitness, too. If Seb thinks he can race, who are you to say he can't? He's not a twelve-year-old, and you're not his dad...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.