2022 Saudi Arabian GP... The roof is on fire

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago
Aty wrote: 2 years agoI do understand that car design incorporates DRS as its integral element, however i am not sure I understand logic of the argument we cannot drive without using the device. Drivers deploy DRS at their discretion on certain locations. This is not mandatory or essential part of racing.
White six wrote: 2 years agoThe cars seem to still work when not using drs ;)
Of course they can drive without using DRS, that wasn't my point. My point was that the whole aero package has been designed around the idea of doing overtakes mostly using DRS. We would need a different design philosophy if we'd want to see overtaking done totally without DRS. Just blocking DRS usage for a few races wouldn't give a realistic view on the matter.
You'd still see a useful comparison, it's a homogeneous design. Just as you'd see under a different homogeneous design.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Sprint races would be ideal for experiments in switching drs off
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago
Aty wrote: 2 years agoI do understand that car design incorporates DRS as its integral element, however i am not sure I understand logic of the argument we cannot drive without using the device. Drivers deploy DRS at their discretion on certain locations. This is not mandatory or essential part of racing.
White six wrote: 2 years agoThe cars seem to still work when not using drs ;)
Of course they can drive without using DRS, that wasn't my point. My point was that the whole aero package has been designed around the idea of doing overtakes mostly using DRS. We would need a different design philosophy if we'd want to see overtaking done totally without DRS. Just blocking DRS usage for a few races wouldn't give a realistic view on the matter.
Should DRS disappears next year, I have no doubt that vehicle aero will need some optimization, but it would be good to decide on such things based on data collected of track, as opposed to a computer only.