Under Pressure: F1 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Under Pressure: F1 2022

Post by DoubleFart »

I've been giving 2022 a bit of thought, particularly in terms of the future and impact that a bad season could have on Drivers, Teams and Principals.

Firstly, Ricciardo. He didn't have a great 2021, even though he took a win. Lando was consistently quicker than him, and a continuation of that form would be a real concern for Ricciardo. Mclaren have O'Ward and Herta on race/development contracts respectively, and Norris is on a long term contract. Ricciardo needs to deliver.

Renault, Ocon and Alonso. Will Alonso get another contract, or is this has last roll of the dice? What will happen to Renault if they fail to deliver again? We all know how quickly Renault come and go in F1, and how quickly their decision makers at the car company change. Some are pro-motorsport, some see it as a waste of money.

Ferrari - Binotto. Goes without saying really doesn't it - Ferrari are still Ferrari.

Thoughts?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Yuki Tsunoda - he really needs a great season because Liam Lawson is ready to step in 2023 if neccessary.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Yuki Tsunoda - he really needs a great season because Liam Lawson is ready to step in 2023 if necessary.
agreed.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Yeh Tsunoda is probably the driver who’s the most at risk right now. However I attribute his failures more towards the RBR environment rather than an inherent problem with him as a driver. In other words he’d do well in most other teams with a more relaxed environment like Alfa or Haas.

One could argue that Ricciardo has some answers to provide; however I’d still rate him very highly even if he has the same levels of misfortune that he did last year. I believe Lando is an exceptionally good driver and character so this year we could yet confirm a Lewis/Bottas situation where an incredibly good driver outshines another “just very good” driver.

The quality is really high right now. The bar is set to the highest I’ve ever seen in my opinion. With all due respect to say that the worst driver on the field was Mazepin when he was half decent in F2 is nothing like we had 20 years ago,
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

What of Schumacher?

He was rather crashy last year.

But that was all understandable: a rookie with some new tracks, and trying to get a crap car to do something. But with a proven teammate this year, he'll be under pressure.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago What of Schumacher?

But that was all understandable: a rookie with some new tracks, and trying to get a crap car to do something. But with a proven teammate this year, he'll be under pressure.
Schumacher embarrassed Mazepin last year, but that wasn't hard. This year Schumacher is being embarrassed by KMag who has 3 points finishes out of 4 races (including a 5th place) compared to MSC's zero.

Similar thing seems to be happening with Williams. Albon is out of retirement and walking all over Latifi.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago What of Schumacher?

Schumacher embarrassed Mazepin last year, but that wasn't hard. This year Schumacher is being embarrassed by KMag who has 3 points finishes out of 4 races (including a 5th place) compared to MSC's zero.
K Mag also has the best ever Haas qualifying position, a 4th in qualifying at Imola on Friday.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

More than a few are under pressure (to perform well not in order) - from now to the end of season ;
Mick Schumacher
Latifi
Ricciardo
Alonso
Tsunoda
Hamilton
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

Schumacher and Latifi.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I think Hamilton is under pressure given how well Russell is performing in the same car as him. Mick Schumacher, Nicholas Latifi as already said. Alonso does seem to be struggling more this year but he's been unlucky with car issues, his DNF in Imola for example wasn't down to him, he had a damaged car from a lap 1 incident.

Sainz is having a tough time right now too, but I'm not sure he's under pressure, yet.

Tsunoda has more points than Gasly right now doesn't he? I think so anyway, so I don't see him being in trouble.

After 4 races, Stroll (who raced all 4) has 1 point, Vettel (who raced only 2) has 4 points. We all know Stroll won't be under pressure though.

Oh and thanks to this thread, all I can hear is the opening riff to the Queen song of the same name now!!
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 2 years ago I think Hamilton is under pressure given how well Russell is performing in the same car as him.
Hehehe I just posted a little something in the Lewis thread that might be relevant to this. :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

To be fair to Lewis, he's so far had a small degree of bad luck (THE NERVE OF LADY LUCK!) that George hasn't had yet.

The sample size is just too small to really stick the knife in.

But clearly they're at worst evenly matched in terms of speed. Which doesn't exactly look good when you're supposedly the GOAT.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago To be fair to Lewis, he's so far had a small degree of bad luck (THE NERVE OF LADY LUCK!) that George hasn't had yet.

The sample size is just too small to really stick the knife in.

But clearly they're at worst evenly matched in terms of speed. Which doesn't exactly look good when you're supposedly the GOAT.
I'm not just sticking the knife in on Hamilton, I was just observing that he has to be feeling some pressure watching his new team mate coming into the team and doing so much better than he seems to be. It doesn't look good on him does it? I take your point about luck, but it's not all down to that. The trouble is, once you feel under pressure, the more you try in a desperate way, sometimes the worse it gets. That is why Vettel had so many issues at Ferrari I believe, the pressure got him big time and he made loads of stupid mistakes as a result of that.

Despite what some of them would have us think, they are only human after all ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 2 years ago I think Hamilton is under pressure given how well Russell is performing in the same car as him. Mick Schumacher, Nicholas Latifi as already said. Alonso does seem to be struggling more this year but he's been unlucky with car issues, his DNF in Imola for example wasn't down to him, he had a damaged car from a lap 1 incident.
Hamilton's not about to be fired, but I almost pity him for how far off George's pace he is. He seems to be more like a Jody Scheckter than a Gilles Villeneuve at the moment - totally unable to drag a good performance out of a poor car.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Hamilton will retire if he loses to George at the end of the season.
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR