Drivers can now start the race on any tyre

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Drivers can now start the race on any tyre

Post by PTRACER »

This is great news. The FIA has announced that drivers no longer have to start on their old Q2 tyres, they can start the race on a brand new set of any tyre of their choice. Finally some common sense is setting in at the top.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

For the best. The gap between the teams were so big that RBR and Merc would almost always walk through Q2 on the medium and have an even bigger advantage.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Why not have just one type of compound for each race locations. Level the playing field like it used to be.
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I never thought it made sense to have to start on used tyres. It should shake things up again in a different way and push back when they need to pit after the start of the race.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

DownForce wrote: 2 years ago Why not have just one type of compound for each race locations. Level the playing field like it used to be.
Used to be was pretty much never, not even in the spec supplier days. I can't recall F1 drivers having only a single option of tyre available. Early days, you could even see teams switching suppliers mid weekend, depending on how well the different compounds performed. Later then, we see drivers using a mixture of compounds on each corner, see Mexico 86. I for one, would like to see the teams have more liberty with their choice of tyres and pressure again.
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago
DownForce wrote: 2 years ago Why not have just one type of compound for each race locations. Level the playing field like it used to be.
Used to be was pretty much never, not even in the spec supplier days. I can't recall F1 drivers having only a single option of tyre available. Early days, you could even see teams switching suppliers mid weekend, depending on how well the different compounds performed. Later then, we see drivers using a mixture of compounds on each corner, see Mexico 86. I for one, would like to see the teams have more liberty with their choice of tyres and pressure again.
How about the days with groove tires , did they have different compounds ? I thought its all the same i.e. no soft, medium, hard, with one supplier in Bridgestone , no?
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DownForce wrote: 2 years ago
How about the days with groove tires , did they have different compounds ? I thought its all the same i.e. no soft, medium, hard, with one supplier in Bridgestone , no?
ISTR no different compounds in the grooved era. But I do recall Michelin being in and supplying all but the first couple and lst couple of years of grooved tyres. (Grooved tyres were 1999-2008 inclusive, Michelin were in from 2001-end 2006. 2005 was the no tyre changing year, and the year of the 6 car USGP, the event which showed to Michelin the only way was out, with the FIA by then inwardly decided of making F1 tyres non competitive (ie sole manufacturer) and that they were not the preferred brand the FIA wanted. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

DownForce wrote: 2 years ago
As long as there are two manufacturers, there should've been multiple options, even if the general public wasn't in the know. Because why wouldn't you bring multiple options if you can. From the monopoly of 2007 onwards, we had at least a soft and hard compound choice. Softs being marked by a white then green stripe in the groove, later on the sidewall. Similar to how Pirelli marks theirs now, just without using the full rainbow.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Waits for one driver to select a set of Michelins from 2004...
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

This particular change in rules pleases me immensely. I've never understood why a team cannot choose tires Sunday morning based on mix of environmental conditions, and adjusted strategy after qualifications results. This might be a right step towards better racing.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago This particular change in rules pleases me immensely. I've never understood why a team cannot choose tires Sunday morning based on mix of environmental conditions, and adjusted strategy after qualifications results. This might be a right step towards better racing.
Top 10 locked into their Q2 tyre, bottom 10 get a free choice. Some kind of performance balancing that did not influence a single race from what I could see.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Aty wrote: 2 years ago This particular change in rules pleases me immensely. I've never understood why a team cannot choose tires Sunday morning based on mix of environmental conditions, and adjusted strategy after qualifications results. This might be a right step towards better racing.
Top 10 locked into their Q2 tyre, bottom 10 get a free choice. Some kind of performance balancing that did not influence a single race from what I could see.
Oh that I didn't know. Thanks anyway.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I read some feedback from the drivers that these new 18-inch tyres don’t have as much a tendency to overheat as did the other Pirelli ones, and that they can attack more on them. This could only be good news for us although it does seem that we’ll be having fewer pitstops.