Pirelli Tyres.....**F1 set to abandon switch to 16-inch tyres for 2026**

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Pirelli Tyres.....**F1 set to abandon switch to 16-inch tyres for 2026**

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

OK I reckon that with all the challenges that will come with the new for this year 18inch Pirelli tyres, and the myriad of discussion I am sure this subject will uncover I thought it might be an idea to have a specific tyre thread. Somewhere to vent with how bad they are, how awful they look, hell maybe how good and more with the time they look, or how well they are performing.

Will the new rubber enhance the racing?
Will they have a more consistent wear pattern or will they be more of the same.
Will the compounds be as varied as before? All sorts of possible answers.
What are the obvious implications to the airflow and overall aero design coupled with the new aero regs.
What will be the implications on strategies. Will we see any change in the way of strategies and the number of stops we see.?
Wheels themselves will it seems look a lot different with talk of externally flush rims looking like they have a flush hub cap on them. Again I am sure initially many teams will have different answers to the issues.

I will start off with a bit of background and issues with car design that has had to be taken into consideration, and the likely issues that teams and not to mention, Pirelli themselves, will have to face.

With the last era of Pirelli rubber we ended up with teams running at reduced pace to save tyres, all very disappointing to most of us who frown at anything that holds back performance. Its motor racing, right. It isnt an economy drive, and the tyres should be fit for purpose. But then you have the Liberty influence that needs an artificial and contrived type show for the new breed of F1 fan.

Anyway here is an article from Autosport which covers many of the issues with 18 inch rubber I thought might give those interested a bit of an insight into influences and what ifs.... with illustrations to help the understanding, from the brilliant George Piola
18-inch wheels change for F1’s designers

Formula 1 is embracing an all-new car design for 2022 season, with a significant push from the series bosses on making the cars able to race each other more closely.

As part of this overhaul, F1 has adopted a larger wheel rim design, having flirted with the idea many times before. The shift to 18-inch wheels means Pirelli has also had to adapt its offering and will produce a tyre with a much shorter sidewall. This is where teams and drivers might have to adapt the most when considering how the new tyres behave when compared with the outgoing rubber.

Firstly, the driver's view will be more impaired than before. Not only have the wheel rims been increased in diameter, so has the entire assembly. With Pirelli’s tyres mounted, they are 60mm taller than the previous generation, which will make looking out over the top of them a little more challenging. Drivers’ sight will be hindered further still by the wheel wake deflector that will be mounted above it.

Aerodynamicists will also be challenged by the changes, as the lower profile tyre will behave differently to the outgoing rubber - with the dynamic behaviour of the tyre creating inconsistencies.

A number of aerodynamic tricks have been used in F1's recent past to mitigate the effect known as ‘tyre squirt’. But, with many of those design features either removed or heavily constrained, teams will have to find new ways to deal with the resultant change in the tyre’s stiffness and sidewall height.

Pirelli has long been at F1's mercy in order to increase entertainment, with thermal degradation identified as a way of creating strategic differences between the teams and drivers. However, as part of the overhaul, drivers had requested that their need to manage tyre life would be reduced, allowing them to race more freely.

Driving well below the actual potential of the car became a common theme to prevent the tyre from overheating and resulting in unplanned pitstops. Drivers had to stick to a lap time that meant it was quicker to be out on older tyres than it was to lose time in the pits stopping for fresh tyres. When time loss for having to clear traffic was factored in, the tortoise-style strategy became more appealing than being the flat-out hare.

Pirelli’s approach to the design of the new tyres and the impact of the car's redesign could alter this strategy perception though. The stiffer, shorter sidewall tyres will feature a new construction in an effort to resolve some of the temperature issues teams faced on the shoulder of the tyre, which should result in less management.

Performance chasing
Teams worked hard during the previous era to alleviate some of these issues and found pockets of performance from numerous sources, including tyre blanket strategy, the design of the wheel rim, brake ducts and suspension set-up. All face a significant design reset going into 2022, not forgetting that the aerodynamic balance of the car will also vary, given the shift to a more underfloor biased design.

Firstly, whilst the current regulations suggest that tyre blankets will finally be banned from 2024 onwards, the main change going into 2022 is that the maximum temperature of the blankets is set to be reduced from 100 to 70 degrees Centigrade. This could have an impact on how drivers approach their exit from the pitlane or at the start of a race, as they might need to warm the tyres, rather than immediately manage their temperature.

However, the way the tyres are worked may differ too. Many teams had raised the suspension elements and used more extreme pushrod-on-upright solutions in recent years to help with various aerodynamic endeavours, these - along with the hydraulic solutions that have helped with compliance - have been removed. Instead, teams will return to classically sprung suspension arrangements which obviously have a bearing on the car’s behaviour and provide the driver with different feedback and feeling.

Meanwhile, the switch to BBS as F1's single supplier of wheel rims means that any advantages that had been gained in terms of controlling the transfer of heat between the rim and tyre will be eroded too. The likes of the large cooling fins seen on the Mercedes in recent years are no longer possible.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the size of the brake discs are also different in 2022, with the standard 278mm diameter for front and rear discs used since 2017 exchanged for new dimensions. At the front, teams can select a disc size between 325 and 330mm, while at the rear the allowable disc diameter will be between 275 and 280mm.

These changes have ramifications in regards to the disc’s designs, and their proximity to the larger wheel rims, with additional design considerations then feeding back into the design of the brake duct too. This could be considered an avenue where teams might be able to find some small gains over their rivals. But while the ability to create the complex designs they used in the past has been dramatically curtailed, the transfer of the heat generated under braking might still prove pivotal in managing the tyres temperatures.

As seen on McLaren’s design for its mule car used at last month's Abu Dhabi rookie test, there’s scope to increase the brake drum to match the size of the wheel well, as it would have done previously. However, the teams might also find there are some benefits to having a slightly smaller drum and an enlarged void between it and the wheel rim.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... s/7652665/
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 week ago, edited 5 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I just thought I would add the Pirelli side of the story..... bear in mind this is likely to be a one sided PR Glitter and all type account. Plus it is dated from a few months ago so any new thoughts wont be included.

A LOOK INTO THE FUTURE OF FORMULA 1® WITH NEW 18-INCH TYRES FOR 2022 CARS

One of the most relevant features of Formula 1® in 2022 will be the new 18-inch Pirelli tyres, fitted to the new cars presented today.

It’s the size of the rim that changes, adding five inches to the diameter that has held sway in grand prix racing since the 1960s; with compact, very wide tyres featuring a 'pot-bellied' sidewall that have kept Formula 1® on track for more than half a century.

Now it’s time to change to a more modern approach. With a bigger emphasis on technological proximity to the road car product as well as aesthetics, the brand new P Zero F1® tyre has the same tread width as before (305 millimetres at the front and 405 millimetres at the rear) but a slightly bigger overall diameter, which grows from 660 millimetres to 720 millimetres. The most significant change is a reduction in the sidewall, which now resembles that of the low-profile Pirelli tyres that for years have been the preferred choice of the world’s leading performance road cars.

This new profile will change the behaviour of the Formula 1® cars on track, making them more precise when changing direction. From the tests carried out so far – in both dry and wet conditions – the drivers’ feedback has been positive and the new tyres will contribute to even more competitive races, with cars that are less sensitive to aerodynamic turbulence while following behind one another. The lower sidewall also means that the tyre will flex less, meaning that it will have less impact on the overall aerodynamics of the car. All of which should favour close racing.

The compounds for the 18-inch tyres will also be completely new, to ensure maximum consistency and less overheating. Five compound grades will be available for the 2022 FIA Formula One World Championship™, three of which will be chosen for each race weekend; just as is the case currently.

By going from 13-inch to 18-inch, Pirelli is the only tyre manufacturer that has competed in Formula 1® with all the wheel sizes that have been part of the World Championship’s history. It’s a story that began in 1950, thanks to Pirelli’s first wins and titles with Alfa Romeo, Ferrari and Maserati: front-engined Formula 1® cars that ran on tall and narrow tyres. As time went on, the sport moved onto 13-inch tyres, before Pirelli embarked on its current era as the Global Tyre Partner of Formula 1® in 2011. In 2017, Pirelli innovated by introducing tyres that were 25% wider than they had been previously, providing a bigger footprint and more grip, which in turn resulted in lap records being lowered all over the world.

Now, another fresh chapter is opened with 18-inch tyres: a new dimension with which Pirelli is privileged to accompany Formula 1® into the future.
https://press.pirelli.com/a-look-into-t ... 2022-cars/

Plus there is a Pirelli video to go with it.....

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I switched off when I heard the BS "... the sport since its inception in 1950..."
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We have heard of some negatives regarding the new 18" wheels and tyres..... the additional weight in the wheels alters the handling characteristics from the old 13" rubber is one comment, whilst others suggest visibility is impaired by the increased front tyre height. This is not seen as a huge problem with open higher speed tracks but at street circuits such as Monaco with barriers bordering the track, the reduced visibility will likely make it awkward and difficult to be able to place the car accurately on the apex.

However it seems there are some plusses..... some good news which my lead to drivers being able to push for longer on them without having to drive at 90% to make them last.

Sainz: We can push harder with new 18-inch F1 tyres

Carlos Sainz believes it will be possible for drivers to push harder with Pirelli’s new 18-inch rubber than with the previous generation of tyres.
Sainz, who ran more laps over the week than anyone else, believes that they will allow drivers to race harder, which is something that has been called for in recent seasons.

“I did quite a bit of testing last year, I think I did three or four days in total with the compounds,” said the Spaniard.

“And they look like they are suiting well this new generation of cars, and they look to be at least allowing you to push a bit more on them.

“And compared to other years, maybe a bit less overheating, a bit less deg, but there's still deg, they're still a tyre that degrades a tyre that overheats, but the scale of it for me personally, I feel like it's a bit better. And the work done by Pirelli last year and the development seems to start to pay off a bit.”

Sainz also indicated that there is now a potentially larger lap time delta between the compounds, something that should add interest to races.

“There looks to be also quite a big step from compounds, which is something that in the last few years, for example, the C2, C3 and C4 were all very close to each other," he added.

“And here there seems to be, at least around Barcelona, quite a big step in grip from one compound to another. So it could maybe mix up things in races a bit. So in that sense some extra differences
there compared to last year."

Valtteri Bottas said that the tyres appeared to work more effectively on the definitive Alfa Romeo compared to the mule car he ran at the end of last year.

"I have to say they've actually been feeling a bit better than I was expecting,” said Botty. “Based on what I felt in the in the test in Abu Dhabi at the end of last year. In Abu Dhabi, we were experiencing quite a bit of graining, here that's been actually a minimal issue.

“So with the limited amount of laps I've got so far they've been actually okay, but we will see better in Bahrain."

Alex Albon meanwhile cautioned that the low temperatures in Barcelona might have been favourable to the new tyres.

“The working ranges seem to be a little bit more forgiving,” he said. “But it's hard to say, obviously it's quite cold out here right now.

“And it always feels quite nice at this time of year around Barcelona. I think we'll see how it is in Bahrain once the temperatures pick up, but for now it's pretty positive."

I guess we will know more details when they have tried the tyres on long runs in the increased temperatures of Bahrain, but at least most drivers seem to think they are better.

@DoubleFart will be happy to know Lance Stroll was a bit miffed and meh about them....."For me their behaviour has been very similar to in the past."

“From what I felt in the long run, they overheat, they degrade. These are things that the tyres have been doing in previous years."

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Pirelli chooses hardest tyres for first race and splits selection for Melbourne

With the new 18 inch rubber and tyres teams dont have any circuit dependent data on them.... although of course they will have data from testing in time for the Bahrain race.

Anyway, Pirelli have nominated the tyres they will be bringing to the first 3 races......

They will bring its hardest combination of tyre compounds for the Bahrain Grand Prix, which is a change from last. years compounds

So for Bahrain the call is the hardest combination of C1, C2 and C3 tyres,as said, a step harder than the compounds Pirelli brought to the circuit for the first race of the 2021 season.

No change to the compounds used at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit.....teams will again have access to the C2, C3 and C4 compounds – the same combination that was used during the inaugural race in December.

With the return of the Australian Grand Prix at the heavily revised Albert Park circuit in Melbourne, Pirelli will provide teams with both the C2 and the C3 compounds. However, the soft tyre for the weekend will be the C5 compound, the softest tyre available. It marks the first time since 2018 that Pirelli has chosen anything other than consecutive compounds for a race weekend.

That could make for some interesting strategy calls having the option of hard tyres or possibly something using the Super soft.
Of course, given the new construction methods of the 18inch low profile rubber over last years higher profile (larger sidewall) of the 13 inch wheels may make the tyre move on the wheel differently and so the way the compounds work will be different this year and may throw in a few curve balls.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

2023 Season Tyre Choice Changes.

Time to bump the Tyre thread with the news that today Pirelli have announced they are expanding the range of available compounds for 2023
The big news is that this year’s F1 tyre compounds will be selected from a pool of six different options, up from five last year.

There are also a couple of other changes for 2023, including a change in qualy rules / format for a couple of rounds in the form of mandated tyre compound use

They will still will refer to the tyres as hard medium and soft, it is just the range is now expanded to be picked from a range of six. It is still as confusing as hell perhaps moreso. What is designated a hard compound one weekend, the same compound may be a medium the following weekend etc.:annoyed: :nuts:

As an aside the tyre compound selections for the first three rounds have been made.
This year’s F1 tyre compounds will be selected from a pool of six different options, up from five last year.

Pirelli has released details of the rubber it has selected for the opening three rounds of the season and, in doing so, detailed a new ‘Compound 1’ tyre for 2023.

“This new-for-2023 compound slots in between last year’s C1 and C2,” it outlined.

“Based on the latter, it was created to reduce the performance gap between what had previously been the two hardest compounds in the range.”

As before, for each F1 event, Pirelli selects three tyre compounds from its range for teams to use, labelling them Hard, Medium, and Soft.

First 3 races choices selected.

For Bahrain, that selection has come from the harder end of the range, with the new C1 to debut as the Hard that weekend, with the C2 as Medium and C3 as soft.

Round 2 of the season, the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix, will see tyres one step softer in the range; the white-walled Hard tyre will be the C2. That selection remains for the Australian Grand Prix.

Regulations which surround tyres remain unchanged from 2022 with two a mandate on the use of two compounds during a grand prix.

Allocations are also the same, in most cases.

That means each driver will have 13 sets of dry rubber, four sets of intermediates, and three sets of wets fur use over a race weekend unless a Sprint is employed when that decreases to 12 sets of slicks.

For 2023, a ‘Revised Qualifying Format‘ has been introduced at ‘up to two events’.

In those, tyre selection is mandated through the three-part qualifying process, with C1 used in the opening 18 minutes, C2 in the 15 minutes which follows, and C3 in Qualifying 3.

Under that format, drivers have a maximum of three sets of hard tyres, up to four sets of medium compound tyres, and softs limited to four sets for the weekend.

Ordinarily, drivers have two sets of hards, three mediums, and eight sets of softs at their disposals – or two hard, four medium, and six soft sets on a Sprint weekend.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/02/16/ex ... -for-2023/

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

There were several races last year where putting on the C1 Hards was the equivalent of turning your car into a GP2 car. 1 sec or more off the pace.
So the article above is still a bit confusing. Are they going to simply label them C1 to C6 or are we going to have this new compound called "Compound 1" in the mix of C1 to C5 tires?

Also, the Qualifying format change likely needs to be highlighted a bit more. That's fairly significant and we will be sweating the GTP times much harder this year. Times in Q1 and Q2 will not be representative at all of where they should end up for Q3.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
So the article above is still a bit confusing. Are they going to simply label them C1 to C6 or are we going to have this new compound called "Compound 1" in the mix of C1 to C5 tires?
Dont quote me but I have seen reference to a "C0" compound.

Edit: Confirmed.... It is to be at the harder end of the scale. It seems C0 will replace C1 as the hardest compound. C1-C5 remain the same compound rubber as last year albeit all 6 will be manufactured with a different construction with different characteristics..
Pirelli’s chief F1 engineer Simone Berra revealed that they would introduce a new compound near the harder end of the scale into the range for 2023.

“We have a new version of the C1 [hardest tyre],” Berra explained. “So the C1 is no more the current C1 – it’s a new one that should provide more grip compared to the old one, which was, let’s say, less grippy.

“That was tested in Texas, the new C1, and the new C1 is providing more grip. The C1 will become for next year the C0. So next year we will have six compounds: C0 – that is the current C1 – the new C1 and then the others that remain exactly the same compound on the new structure.”

The hardest tyre is likely to be used at Silverstone, Suzuka and Losail International Circuit, said Berra.

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Pirelli’s chief F1 engineer Simone Berra revealed that they would introduce a new compound near the harder end of the scale into the range for 2023.

“We have a new version of the C1 [hardest tyre],” Berra explained. “So the C1 is no more the current C1 – it’s a new one that should provide more grip compared to the old one, which was, let’s say, less grippy.

“That was tested in Texas, the new C1, and the new C1 is providing more grip. The C1 will become for next year the C0. So next year we will have six compounds: C0 – that is the current C1 – the new C1 and then the others that remain exactly the same compound on the new structure.”

The hardest tyre is likely to be used at Silverstone, Suzuka and Losail International Circuit, said Berra.
Stupid. But at least it's clear. :haha: :haha:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

FIA launches F1 tyre supply tender from 2025

The FIA has launched an invitation to tyre manufacturers to apply for the exclusive Formula 1 supply deal that will commence in 2025 and potentially last for four seasons.

It doesnt mean Pirelli are throwing in the towel, or that we are maybe going to get another era of Tyre Wars with a repeat of Bridgestone v Michelin that we had through to the mid noughties, followed by a few years of just Bridgestone before we went to Pirelli as the exclusive provider in 2011. Over a decade later and they are still in that monopoly situation.

The current deal expires end 2024 so we are tendering for 2025 onwards, until 2028 with an option to the supplier at that time to extend

There is no plan to alter the manner of there being an exclusive tyre provider for F1, just that it is up for tender and like any tender situation any tyre manufacturer than throw their hat in the ring. By the same token, Pirelli can decide they dont want to tender.....

From what I understand Pirelli are keen to maintain their position as exclusive provider and are fully expected to tender again, so doubt with the added ammunition for their tender of experience and history of working closely with the FIA and FOM to provide a range of spec tyres.

Of course with the F1 deal comes the automatic extension through to providing for F2 and F3. That is part of the deal. All or nothing. A more detailed technical brief for the F2 and F3 supply deal will be issued in the next fortnight.

The tyres will continue to be 18inch diameter introduced last year..... The design brief and desired tyre behaviour will remain largely unchanged from the current 23-inch specification (for the 18-inch wheel rims).

Like the basic characteristics, sizing will not change either in a bid to remain relevant to the road car industry.

An FIA statement read: “These targets have been agreed through consultation with the commercial rights holders and the teams, and are designed to ensure a wide working range, minimise overheating, and have low degradation whilst also creating the possibility for variation in strategy.”

But there is one aspect that will be sought with the new tender....

Sustainability is the word. The brief for the new supplier has now evolved to have a greater consideration for sustainability, as an extension of F1’s drive to be net-zero carbon by 2030. (F1 playing catch up with Indycar :idunno:.... they (Indycar) are introducing for select races tyres made with a sustainable natural rubber which is extracted from the guayule shrub. More on that here: viewtopic.php?p=425378&hilit=Indycar+su ... es#p425378

The FIA F1 brief continues: “The tender will also require potential suppliers to supply an analysis of the environmental impact of the tyres used in Formula 1, and the successful bid will need to demonstrate best practice and innovation when considering the complete life cycle of the tyres.”

Also they will have improved electronic Id-ing to assist scrutineers

So, I guess it becomes a decision for Pirelli.... are they happy with what they get from F1. Are F1 happy with Pirelli?

Ultimately it seems that Pirelli make tyres to a fairly strict brief from the F1 authorities and teams. I recall in the early days of the Pirelli tyre supply, outsiders were giving Pirelli a lot of flak over the quality and ongoing tyre problems. I think now more people are aware Pirelli make them to a brief from F1/FIA. I guess the kudos that goes with being able to say "Pirelli wins Monaco GP" and "F1 chooses Pirelli as the only tyres (good enough) for their cars is worth a lot in PR terms. Even as a sole supplier. :wink:

Who else might be interested in throwing their hat in the ring. I have to be honest and admit I am not well versed what manufacturers own what brands nowadays.... other than I know Bridgestone owns Firestone and Cooper own Avon.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Anything but tire-wars. We have enough confusion where teams are with their cars as it is, nevermind adding another variable over which neither a team or driver has substantive control. There is no point to see half of the grid to stand down, because they don't have a suitable tire for the race. There are some other examples in history of the F1 in favor of one supplier only. Disparity in performance from one supplier to another could be irritating. There is no harm to keep Pirelli honest with their cost, but once selected, keep it steady, methinks. Pirelli is not a problem at the moment.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

All the tyre manufacturers please, with the proviso that we get unlimited testing back. We keep moaning about the dominance of a single team, don't you think that if there were more variables the engineers had to account for we'd get a more varied outcome? While we are at it, remove the minimum pressure restrictions and let them mix and match compounds.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Pirelli set to introduce new slick tyre spec at Silverstone

Pirelli are set to bring a new specification of slick tyre to the 2023 British Grand Prix at Silverstone – with teams to test the tyre during Friday practice at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The new specification of tyre will introduce new materials planned for the 2024 specification of Pirelli tyre, deemed necessary by the tyre suppliers because current F1 cars are faster and induce more downforce than previously estimated. Pirelli are also anticipating greater speed and downforce from the current F1 cars as development continues across the season.

The new slick tyres will come into use for the 2023 British Grand Prix on July 7-9 but teams will be able to test them, with two extra sets supplied during FP1 and FP2, at the Spanish Grand Prix one month prior to Silverstone.

What are the odds of Silverstone being wet all weekend so the new slicks never fet to see the Silverstone tarmac?! :haha: :dunno:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

I am not against progress, nor improvements. Lord knows Porsche company made science of continuous improvements approach, but in the F1, one ends up with many questions, and no answers.

Cars are faster. OK, good. That's MO of the F1.
We need new tire. Why? Did some current ones were recently proven inadequate? Didn't hear anything about it.
Will new tire be more expensive in time when everyone is bit***g about cost? Probably. New things almost always offer opportunity to rise cost.

The thing is, cars are going in direction which we wan't probably appreciate. Who cares if a car goes 2 sec faster than last year? Sitting on sidelines, I will be darn if I can tell difference. Cars are faster, but race tracks are the same, and new racing venues aim to make money in cities, where races are slowing. Monza might not be even on the calendar, says Stefano [US pays more]. Why are we then discussing speed, rather than overtaking under dubious circumstances?

Some good was done in recent times with new specs, porpoising was big surprise, but all that work is not finished. Brawn admitted "we got it wrong [past specs in Hamilton's years]", but now we need him and his colleagues to continue and improve on that most recent experience. Instead, he goes fishing (may I come too?). So, who is leading now that pack? The teams are not permitted to develop prototypes properly, thus we need (new) Brawn and alike to do that work instead, and make races more interesting.

I can't wait for next edition of changes to vehicle body, but it's not tire that fascinates me, that much is certain.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 10 months ago What are the odds of Silverstone being wet all weekend so the new slicks never fet to see the Silverstone tarmac?! :haha: :dunno:
Sounds like typical British weather to me :mrgreen:

I was reading an article on Motorsport.com (?) earlier, I think it was Gunther Steiner commenting that no one will ever be happy with the tyres. Pirelli have two options - creating a high deg tyre that falls of the cliff and requires multiple pitstops, which nobody was happy with before, or creating a stronger construction that lasts a longer stint but has lower grip and can't be pushed at all, which no one is happy with.

I don't recall tyres ever being such an issue when it was Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone etc.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records