F1 2022 Pre Season and general Testing

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The Ferraris do genuinely seem to be faster/better sorted than everyone else. Why?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Don't know if it's a fair comparison given it's Magnussen's first go in an unfamiliar car etc. but Mick Schumacher was significanty faster than him today. As I say, it's nothing you can really judge anything on yet, but I just thought I'd say.

Red Bull and Mercedes are keeping their powder dry so to speak. I doubt we'll see how fast they can really go until qualifying in just over a weeks time.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Tomorrow last day of testing.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago The Ferraris do genuinely seem to be faster/better sorted than everyone else. Why?
They do..... but I cant help think that maybe Red Bull and Merc, maybe others, are leaving a lot on the table. Even the fastest times we have seen this week are over 4 seconds off last years pole from 12 months ago. But Merc was porpoising as bad as anyone so who knows. Strange that Max and Lewis in the last 30 minutes suddenly pop up near the top of the times.

Its just I have lost count of the times in past years that Ferrari have blitzed testing and then come the first qualy / race of the year are off the pace.

Anyway thaats day 2 done.

- Sainz fastest from Max, Stroll and Hammy
- Top three all set times on C4, Hamilton's on softest C5
- Magnussen on track for first time since rejoining Haas /F1
- Williams sits out afternoon after on-track fire in morning
- Merc (and others) still suffering from porpoising.

Day two times

1. Sainz (Ferrari) 1m33.532s, C4, 60 laps
2. Verstappen (Red Bull) 1m34.011s, C4, 86 laps
3. Stroll (Aston Martin) 1m34.064s, C4, 70 laps
4. Hamilton (Mercedes), 1m34.141s, C5, 47 laps
5. Ocon (Alpine) 1m34.276s, C4, 111 laps
6. Leclerc (Ferrari) 1m34.366s, C3, 54 laps
7. Norris (McLaren) 1m34.609s, C3, 60 laps
8. Vettel (Aston Martin) 1m36.020s, C3, 46 laps
9. Magnussen (Haas) 1m36.505s, C3, 39 laps
10. Tsunoda (AlphaTauri) 1m36.802s, C3, 120 laps
11. Bottas (Alfa Romeo) 1m36.987s, C2, 25 laps
12. Schumacher (Haas) 1m37.846s, C2, 23 laps
13. Russell (Mercedes) 1m38.585s, C2, 67 laps
14. Latifi (Williams) 1m39.845s, C2, 12 laps
15. Zhou (Alfa Romeo) 1m39.984s, C2, 48 laps

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I'd think RB and Merc will show their hand a little by the end tomorrow. Strange for Lewis to go on c5s today...
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

That Porpoising word again

Re the porpoising they are still all having problems with seems to be hanging around.... a result of the new regs and floor rules

Gary Anderson, one who should know, thinks the whole problem would disappear with a quick rule tweak. Should they change the regs now..... it would save teams an awful lot of money if the fix can be made with a stroke of the pen in the regs. Anderson thinks so, and it should be done now before the teams have built up stocks of spares that would become obsolete.
Gary Anderson wrote:Day one of Bahrain testing showed that all teams are still having problems with their cars ‘bouncing’ due to repeated aerodynamic loading and unloading as the underfloor airflow stalls.

The area that the teams will be working on to solve this problem will be the floor itself, modifying parts to try to reduce the phenomenon. Increasing ride heights would work too, but that would generate less downforce.

No individual team will want to trade off downforce for driver comfort, so I don’t see this issue going away any time soon.

If I was the FIA I would propose that the rear outer part of the floor – let’s say from one metre forward of the centre of the rear wheel – should be raised by something like 10 millimetres, or more.

The actual underfloor throat is 50 millimetres up from the reference plane, which is below the driver’s bum. On previous cars this raised section had to continue outwards to the extreme of the floor. This year it can step back down to level with the reference plane.

Simply raising this section would reduce the downforce just a little bit for everyone.

But more importantly it would stop the floor from mechanically sealing when the side of the floor makes contact with the track surface.
It would also mean there would be a lot less damage created if a driver runs over a kerb.

I know this should be down to the teams to rectify with developments or set-ups but in the interests of everyone working together the rule change I’ve suggested would be the quickest and simplest solution – and it should be very easy and cheap for the teams to modify their floor tooling to achieve it.
Sounds simple dunnit?!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Got to laugh at Sainz response to questions about Ferrari "dominance"... but he is right as many of us here have commented.

Sainz:
“It is typical Mercedes,” he said, “typical George [Russell] - hype up the others and then come to the first race and blow the competition away.

"If it was the first season they did it I would maybe believe them, but they have done it for five, six years now and they keep surprising us in the first race. So as you can imagine I don’t believe much. Already in GPS we can also see what they are doing and, yeah… I am not going to say much.”

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago The Ferraris do genuinely seem to be faster/better sorted than everyone else. Why?
They do..... but I cant help think that maybe Red Bull and Merc, maybe others, are leaving a lot on the table.
My “why” question was really oriented to asking what are they doing that is different to everyone else to make them faster/more sorted than everyone else? Are their wings different? Are their side pods different? Did they do something different with their underbody? Is there any clearly identifiable change that makes them better?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Lewis is claiming they're not bagging (again)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago Don't know if it's a fair comparison given it's Magnussen's first go in an unfamiliar car etc. but Mick Schumacher was significanty faster than him today. As I say, it's nothing you can really judge anything on yet, but I just thought I'd say.
That comment hasnt aged well..... albeit with news that was quite a shock to me!

Magnussen fastest in Bahrain F1 testing

Kevin Magnussen used the extra time allocated to Haas to beat Carlos Sainz to the fastest time of the penultimate day of Formula 1 testing in Bahrain,

Haas is allowed to run an extra hour on Friday night before starting testing one hour early on the final day and running two hours later in order to make up for the four hours lost on day one due to its Formula 1-arranged freight arriving late. Magnussen had already been within a second of the fastest time on his first outing in an F1 car in over a year when he went 0.3s faster than the rest of the field had managed during the official running on the C4 compound.

I would like to say yeah but they ran in the evening when it is cooler / faster etc, but regardless it was not something expected.

I do wonder about this Mercedes concept. Yes I believe they are sandbagging, and yes Sain said we not what they are doing because of GPs etc, implying reducing speed in fast sections to lose time...... but the fact remains that their car looks a handful and does suffer from porpoising. It looks a handful from the limited viewing I have had. (No live TV coverage in Aus)

Oh and breaking news....

Danny Ric out with Covid

OK the Danny Ric illness is question is now solved. Despite previous multiple negative tests Danny will miss final day in Bahrain after a positive COVID test.

He has tested positive for COVID-19 and must isolate before being released in time to compete in the 2022 Formula 1 season opener next week.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago Don't know if it's a fair comparison given it's Magnussen's first go in an unfamiliar car etc. but Mick Schumacher was significanty faster than him today. As I say, it's nothing you can really judge anything on yet, but I just thought I'd say.
That comment hasnt aged well..... albeit with news that was quite a shock to me!

Magnussen fastest in Bahrain F1 testing

Kevin Magnussen used the extra time allocated to Haas to beat Carlos Sainz to the fastest time of the penultimate day of Formula 1 testing in Bahrain,

Haas is allowed to run an extra hour on Friday night before starting testing one hour early on the final day and running two hours later in order to make up for the four hours lost on day one due to its Formula 1-arranged freight arriving late. Magnussen had already been within a second of the fastest time on his first outing in an F1 car in over a year when he went 0.3s faster than the rest of the field had managed during the official running on the C4 compound.

I would like to say yeah but they ran in the evening when it is cooler / faster etc, but regardless it was not something expected.

I do wonder about this Mercedes concept. Yes I believe they are sandbagging, and yes Sain said we not what they are doing because of GPs etc, implying reducing speed in fast sections to lose time...... but the fact remains that their car looks a handful and does suffer from porpoising. It looks a handful from the limited viewing I have had. (No live TV coverage in Aus)

Oh and breaking news....

Danny Ric out with Covid

OK the Danny Ric illness is question is now solved. Despite previous multiple negative tests Danny will miss final day in Bahrain after a positive COVID test.

He has tested positive for COVID-19 and must isolate before being released in time to compete in the 2022 Formula 1 season opener next week.
Extreme interpretations of rules have rarely been the best ones. Here's hoping the Merc is as much of a dog as hammy claims

Watched sainz's lap. The car looked pretty stable and not much porpoising. And was able to follow hammy until he could slipstream him.

Very encouraging for Haas. Obviously a lot cooler and likely less wind, but well done them
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

They should give out points for testing.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

@Everso Biggyballies I had forgotten the extra time Haas had. Good for Kevin Magnussen if he got into the swing of things and went much faster.

It's a shame Daniel Ricciardo has covid, means Lando is doing all the heavy lifting test wise and Daniel is missing out on vital in car time. Hopefully he'll be okay to race next weekend.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Do you think Mercedes are running those tiny sidepods to fool other teams? Can they really run those for whole races for the whole season with no overheating?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Do you think Mercedes are running those tiny sidepods to fool other teams? Can they really run those for whole races for the whole season with no overheating?
I do wonder what it'd be like at a very hot Monaco behind a safety car, or Baku/Monza behind a safety car where they expect significant airflow.

It's probably also worth questioning how the cooling performs if they're not out in front - maybe they've told Lewis they'll give him a qualifying special, and he can lead George round, forcing his engine to overheat and therefore Lewis not be challenged.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.