2021 Saudi Arabian Jeddah Corniche Pasties GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

remember this race? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Port ... Grand_Prix

okay, I'll stop now. But holy F, what shit show today's race was. I miss when the competitiors respected each other.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago I think that Masi isn't fit for that job.
He comes across like a hopelessly nice guy who tries to be everyone's friend and appease them all rather than doing what needs to be done.

And I swear all of these red flags we've been seeing the last couple of years are just there purely for him to have some time to think about what to do.

In way over his head.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I for one think Masi is doing a good job, trying to be as flexible as possible while still maintaining as hard a line as possible from the mess the stewards are doing.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago I think that Masi isn't fit for that job.
He comes across like a hopelessly nice guy who tries to be everyone's friend and appease them all rather than doing what needs to be done.

And I swear all of these red flags we've been seeing the last couple of years are just there purely for him to have some time to think about what to do.

In way over his head.
Did they ever replace the tech pro? Seems unlikely, the race restarted after 10 mins
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago remember this race? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Port ... Grand_Prix

okay, I'll stop now. But holy F, what shit show today's race was. I miss when the competitiors respected each other.
I miss that too.

Like i wrote on Twitter:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago remember this race? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Port ... Grand_Prix

I miss that too.

Like i wrote on Twitter:
Get over it greven, it was great!
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

In way over his head.
Did they ever replace the tech pro? Seems unlikely, the race restarted after 10 mins
Doubt it.

No idea why that was needed anyway. Indycar doesn't replace SAFER barrier when someone hits it.

It's just really hard foam, isn't it? Doesn't matter if it gets a hole in it. And there were another two layers behind it anyway!

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Verstappen handed further 10-second penalty for Lap 37 collision with Hamilton in Saudi Arabian GP

So Max gets another meaningless penalty.... meaningless in as much as it alters nothing other than Max receiving more points on his licence (now 7 within 12 months) He still finishes 2nd and they are still tied on points.

What is slightly disturbing is it shows that Max DID aly "significant braking" in his attemt to allow Max to pass. (2.4G to be exact).
That is wrong and unsportsmanlike, particularly as from all accounts no one at Mercedes were aware Max was going to redress.... that was only discussed between Red Bull and Masi, and Red Bull told Max at the same time Masi was telling Merc the outcome. It would appear Max, whether told to or not, was aware he needed to give the place back ASAP to maximise (sic) his chance of re-passing Lewis, and before the main DRS activation point was a good place to do it. Basically if Max was to have to allow Lewis to pass then do it at a point where the pain is less. An unaware Lewis was simply caught out.

Edit: I have just read Max was told by RB to allow Max to pass "strategically" which implies at a DRS friendly point

Anyway the bit from the Steward's statement :
"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."
Verstappen was therefore found to have breached Article 2, Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, but keeps his second-place finish and enters the season finale level on points with Hamilton.

Abu Dhabi is set up to be an absolute shit fight with all ethics and sportsmanship discarded.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Abu Dhabi is set up to be an absolute shit fight with all ethics and sportsmanship discarded.
I'd be prepared for Suzuka 89/90 levels of shitfuckery.

Max just needs to take out Lewis, since he's ahead on race win count-back.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I hope Max does take out Lewis, but in a non-obvious way. Lewis needs to be repaid for Silverstone and Budapest.

Plus Imola, Baku...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I thought it interesting that Lewis claims everyone knows and sticks to the rules bar one person (whilst Max was sat next to him!) Amusingly on talking of the timing of the moment Lewis and Max collided he went on to admit to having done similar tactics before back at Sa when he allowed Kimi to pass and immediately re-took him in the slipstream, but it was ok then.

I have picked out Lewis's comments from a rather long tl:dr account.... oh and thrown in Max's response. :wink:

Hamilton: Rules are clear to all but ‘one of us’

Saudi Arabian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton has suggested the rules of engagement for Formula 1 drivers are clear to all bar one.

Hamilton is locked in battle with Max Verstappen for the world championship with just one race remaining in a scrap that has seen both lead the competition at times.

It’s also witnessed a number of on-track moments which, for the most part have been dismissed as hard but fair racing.

However, that turned ugly in Saudi Arabia, where the pair clashed a number of times before making contact on Lap 37 for which they were summoned to the stewards’ post-race.

Under attack from Hamilton, who’d drawn alongside of Verstappen down the front straight, the Red Bull driver appeared to have a moment as he turned into the corner, correcting an oversteer moment.

“I don’t think I’ve changed the way that I race,” Hamilton responded when asked if he’s changed something in his racing over the course of the season.

“I think we’ve seen multiple instances this year where, even like with Brazil, where we’re supposed to do our racing on track in between the white lines.

“The rules haven’t been clear from the stewards, that those things have been allowed, so that’s continued.

“From my understanding, I know that I can’t overtake someone and go off track, and then keep the position.

“I think that’s well known between all of us drivers, but it doesn’t apply to one of one of us, I guess.”

His remarks were a clear shot a Verstappen who, prior to their Lap 37 clash in Jeddah, ran off the road at Turn 1, maintaining the race lead in the process – for which he was handed a five-second time penalty.

However the Dutchman, who was sat alongside Hamilton as the Brit made his remarks, refuted the suggestions.

“I find it interesting that I am the one who gets a penalty when both of us run outside of the white lines,” he argued.

“You know, in Brazil, it was fine, and now suddenly I get a penalty for it.

“You could clearly see both didn’t make the corner, but it’s fine.

“I mean, I also don’t really spend too much time on it, you know. We have to move forward.”

Making matters worse was the clumsy manner in which Verstappen attempted to allow Hamilton through to lead as they approached Turn 27.

Caught by surprise, the two made contact in one of the most controversial moments in recent seasons.

It was a matter referred to the stewards, who duly handed out a 10-second time penalty post race – a largely ceremonial ruling given it makes no material difference to the final race classification.

“It really wasn’t clear,” Hamilton said when asked why he didn’t simply pass his slowing rival.

“So there’s two two scenarios; there’s one that it wasn’t clear; two, I didn’t get the information.

“Then it became apparent that he was trying to let me pass which was what he, I guess, had been asked to do.

“But [he did it] before the DRS zone and so then he would just DRS back past me coming through the last corner; follow me and just DRS me into Turn 1.

“That was a tactic, but I think really the worst part was just the steep, heavy braking that then happened at one point,” he added.

“That’s where we collided. That was the dangerous part.”

Ironically Hamilton has adopted similar tactics in the past when instructed to give back positions, and cited the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix.

“I was fighting Kimi into the last corner of the Spa chicane, and he ran me wide and I went across the chicane and had to led him back past, but overtook him straight away,” he recounted.

“I remember Charlie Whiting telling the team that it was okay.

“[Kimi] didn’t finish the race but then getting a, I think it was a 10-second, or whatever it was, 20-seconds or whatever… and finishing third.

“Obviously I knew that Max had overtaken two of us by going over Turn 2 which at the beginning of the race we were told that wasn’t allowed.”
Handbags etc.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

All of Lewis' / Merc's celebrations will be short lived next weekend in Abu Dhabi. Mad-Max will take the Trophy ;)
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
manny
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber, Max Verstappen,
Favourite Circuit: Le Mans

Post by manny »

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
WIP.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Reasons to be cheerful

The rocket motor was nowhere near as powerful as Brazil. Barring the poor choice of yellows, max wouldn't have won but would have been up there to the end

Max traditionally strong in Abu Dhabs. Although it's faster now it still has a very twisty section, similar to where he was driving away from hammy at Jeddah
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Verstappen handed further 10-second penalty for Lap 37 collision with Hamilton in Saudi Arabian GP

So Max gets another meaningless penalty.... meaningless in as much as it alters nothing other than Max receiving more points on his licence (now 7 within 12 months) He still finishes 2nd and they are still tied on points.

What is slightly disturbing is it shows that Max DID aly "significant braking" in his attemt to allow Max to pass. (2.4G to be exact).
That is wrong and unsportsmanlike, particularly as from all accounts no one at Mercedes were aware Max was going to redress.... that was only discussed between Red Bull and Masi, and Red Bull told Max at the same time Masi was telling Merc the outcome. It would appear Max, whether told to or not, was aware he needed to give the place back ASAP to maximise (sic) his chance of re-passing Lewis, and before the main DRS activation point was a good place to do it. Basically if Max was to have to allow Lewis to pass then do it at a point where the pain is less. An unaware Lewis was simply caught out.

Edit: I have just read Max was told by RB to allow Max to pass "strategically" which implies at a DRS friendly point

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."
Verstappen was therefore found to have breached Article 2, Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, but keeps his second-place finish and enters the season finale level on points with Hamilton.

Abu Dhabi is set up to be an absolute shit fight with all ethics and sportsmanship discarded.
It's really very dangerous what Lewis did, and I'm amazed the stewards haven't taken the opportunity to denounce it. We could have had two drivers trundling alongside each other down the back straight, at pedestrian speeds, on a circuit that's already got poor visibility and run off.

Bottom line, if you're letting a car pass, you choose where it happens, not the car behind. There should be absolutely no lifting.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Verstappen handed further 10-second penalty for Lap 37 collision with Hamilton in Saudi Arabian GP

It's really very dangerous what Lewis did, and I'm amazed the stewards haven't taken the opportunity to denounce it. We could have had two drivers trundling alongside each other down the back straight, at pedestrian speeds, on a circuit that's already got poor visibility and run off.

Bottom line, if you're letting a car pass, you choose where it happens, not the car behind. There should be absolutely no lifting.
Lewis had a brain fart. I don't think it was a deliberate thing about the drs line.

All this fuss about max braking. Well he had to brake as hammy wasn't coming past at half speed. Lol