Andretti looking at F1 Team *New Team application made*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I hate to say, but this is a non-story from start to finish. I'd like to go into space, but does that deserve a news story on all the astronomy websites?
But on the conspiracy theory cites it would read:
"Man denied trip to space by UK Government because he works for a Japanese company. Click here for more."

So obviously someone is proffiting at this story. :wink:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I hate to say, but this is a non-story from start to finish. I'd like to go into space, but does that deserve a news story on all the astronomy websites?
But on the conspiracy theory cites it would read:
"Man denied trip to space by UK Government because he works for a Japanese company. Click here for more."

So obviously someone is proffiting at this story. :wink:
Five reasons man denied trip to space by UK Government because he works for a Japanese company. Number three will shock you! (And number four was Hillary.)
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Andretti waiting on FIA approval for all-new F1 team

Having been all on for the purchase of the Sauber Alfa Team until those talks fell flat following a financial question mark as to a misunderstanding over the value / prices being asked.... that and a further misunderstanding over ultimate control in what was thought to be a majority shareholding type deal.

Anyway, the Andretti name is today back in the news regarding its F1 future. They always said following that episode that the door was open to the Andretti name looking at other F1 opportunities. Well, it. seems they see those opportunities will be best served by starting from scratch..... None other than Mario Andretti today posted onTwitter that his son, Michael Andretti, has not given up on his dream of entering F1.

He claimed the Michael has applied for an entry to the FIA under the Andretti Global banner.
Seems odd to me that setting up from scratch and financing the whole capital investment required is going to be in their budget ballpark at the time of the Sauber talks, especially given the 200 million 'entry fee' to set up a team, a sum which to me simply says it (F1)aint cheap but if you are serious this is just to get the opportunity .... but the ball is rolling.
A spot in Formula 1 is currently it seems attractive owing to the rapid growth it has seen in recent years and the introduction of financial regulations. The rise in US popularity and (Liberty led) US focus obviously makes a proper US based team more viable. (Haas, despite its Stars and Strripes origins, is very much Euro based and connected)

Where previously teams could and did spend every available penny, from 2021 they were restricted to $145 million.

For this season that figure drops to $140 million and will fall a further $5 million next year.

According to the likes of Toto Wolff and Zak Brown, (Zak of course is closely involved with Andretti on other motorsport projects (ie they co own Walkinshaw's V8SC operation with Ryan Walkinshaw) that factor will serve not only to level the playing field, but drive up the value of team ownership. Maybe Andretti is seeing an opportunity to get in on that potential over paying for someone elses groundwork and experience.
The fact that Mario Andretti has stated that the application has been submitted suggests Andretti not only has the wherewithal to stand up a new F1 operation, but also the finances to deal with the sport’s $200 million anti-dilution fee.

That sum is in place for two reasons; firstly to ensure the barrier to entry is sufficient to attract only serious efforts, while compensating rival teams as the prize money fund is diluted by the arrival of a new entity.

Formula 1 currently has a number of open slots, left behind following the demise of teams such as Caterham, Marussia, and HRT in recent years.

In 2010, the sport was also set to welcome the USF1 operation, though that never got off the ground.

Most recently, F1 has welcomed the addition of Haas, an American registered operation though with its base of operations in what was the Marussia facility in the United Kingdom and its design office in Maranello.

Andretti would make for a significant addition to the grid, not only due to the family heritage it has in Formula 1 but also as it signals further American interest.

Yesterday, a new deal was announced that will see the United States Grand Prix remain on the calendar until at least 2026, while Miami will host the sport in May around an all-new venue.

The USGP last year attracted 400,000 fans over the weekend, compared with 100,000 at its first event in 2012.

There has also been strong speculation of a new event in Las Vegas, with suggestions the deal is all but done.

Andretti also has solid pedigree, both as a driver and team owner.

He has a successful IndyCar programme and is involved in a number of other series globally, including Formula E.

Together with Ryan Walkinshaw and Brown, he’s a part-owner of the Walkinshaw Andretti United Supercars team.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/19/an ... w-f1-team/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Wolff warns Andretti he needs $1 billion to set up from scratch.

To do so, as stated here he’ll need to stump up a $200 million anti-dilution fee, but Wolff warns he’ll need far more than that to get going. I think that is an area we knew would be an issue in setting up from scratch, and it has been pointed out already. Clearly Andretti knows the cost of the equipment needed, the staff premises and all the other hidden costs.

I really cant see them setting up from scratch tbh. Look at Toyota who tried that a decade ago..... not to mention Haas, although they got a lot of help from Ferrari and run on a shoestring. At the tail of the field..

Surely taking over a team, even with the inflated values we seem to be getting now, would have to be a better option.

Not to mention this is only an application and subject to the FIA backing it. After the last influx of new teams (prior to Haas) they all fared poorly and were gone in a few years. I know we have a budget cap which will help but I think we all suspect a lot of dodgy financial manouveres that will get hidden from the cap.

In addition Mario has said it will not be a US based operation but. would be based in the UK.

Wolff said...
“Andretti is a [major] name, for sure, and the American market is important,” said Wolff.

“We are the absolute pinnacle, this is the Champions League or the NFL, and redistributing franchises on the go is not how it should be. It’s not the intention of F1 and the FIA either.

“But if a real brand with good people, necessary funding, not only the $200m but probably you need more around $1bn if you want to play in this club straight from the get-go – then why not?”

The $200 million anti-dilution fee is a means to ensure only serious efforts attempt to enter the sport, seemingly warding off moonlighters such as Stefan GP and others.

It also compensates the rest of the F1 field as the prize money is divided among more operations, thereby reducing everyone’s slice of the cake.

“They’re not the only ones that are making noises about coming in,” said Red Bull’s Christian Horner of Andretti’s apparent interest.

“But there is a clear criteria through the Concorde Agreement that has to be met and approved.

“I’m sure they’re engaged in that process.

“Of course, that agreement is there to protect the 10 incumbents and not to dilute that, so obviously, that would need to be carefully looked at.”

The Formula 1 grid has featured just 20 cars since Manor closed its doors at the end of 2016, though has routinely seen greater numbers throughout its history.

During the 1980s such was the interest that lesser teams took part in pre-qualifying as demand for a starting spot far outstripped supply.

However, the sport has become far more professional in the decades since then, with a franchise system now in place that limits the entries to, according to McLaren’s Andreas Seidl, 24.

The McLaren boss supports Andretti’s efforts, noting the impact it would have for the sport in the United States.

“We definitely would welcome the Andretti team,” he said.

“The Andretti name and US team, which will help to grow the sport further in the US, I think will also open up simply more possibilities again to get young drivers in the more teams we have.

“And in the end, the earlier we get to 12 teams, for example, which is the maximum we can have, I think would just help to drive the franchise value even higher for us teams.

“So absolutely open for it, and we’d love to compete with them.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/24/wo ... 1-billion/

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Yea, I don’t completely buy that explanation. Peter Sauber is 78 years old. He is fighting tooth and nail to maintain operational control of the team?

At that age, most people are more concerned about banking a little more money for their kids (he has two sons, I gather one works for Sauber).
Peter Sauber is linked to the team only by name and history. He has no say in company's affairs. When he sold his team, I think his only condition was, that team stays where it is. (I am not sure whether that wish is still respected.)
Peter in fact even didn't go there to visit. Occasionally he met, or meets for a beer with some of his former employees, but that was all.
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

I wonder how the current situation at Haas is. Perhaps that offers a chance for Andretti to enter via an existing team, instead of building one from scratch. Andretti-Haas F1 or something like that.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

ReneLotus wrote: 2 years ago I wonder how the current situation at Haas is. Perhaps that offers a chance for Andretti to enter via an existing team, instead of building one from scratch. Andretti-Haas F1 or something like that.
My thoughts too.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Was gonna post this too, would be an easier way in, although HAAS using Ferrari bits may complicate it since isn’t Andretti’s preferred partner Renault?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I hope not, F1 needs more entries as it is. 26 cars should be the minimum.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

ReneLotus wrote: 2 years ago I wonder how the current situation at Haas is. Perhaps that offers a chance for Andretti to enter via an existing team, instead of building one from scratch. Andretti-Haas F1 or something like that.
Andretti stated that his organization contacted Haas repeatedly about potential team purchase. Offer is still on the table, however Haas is not (allegedly) interested to sell. (Was the offer high enough?) I was surprised by this claim, because a year or two ago it was said, that Hass lost interest in the F1.
Occasionally it's really hard to separate speculations and misrepresentation from facts. As far as I can determine, Andretti has PU (Alpine), but no team to buy or co-own as a partner.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I was wondering the same thing. If Haas are suddenly losing a lot of their money, they might be forced to sell now where they didn't want to before. Who knows?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ian-S wrote: 2 years ago Was gonna post this too, would be an easier way in, although HAAS using Ferrari bits may complicate it since isn’t Andretti’s preferred partner Renault?
Mario Andretti suggested that Renault was the most likely engine partner but that no final call has been taken on this front.

It is understood that Ferrari remains an option if the team does get approval for the 2024 entry.

Michael Andretti added and said Renault was “one of the options”, but clarified there was “another one” and that no decision had yet been taken.

Herta still seems to be the centrepin to the whole thing, Michael thinking Herta will galvanise the US fans as Max did with the Dutch.....
Andretti says he is already quite clear in some key details about his F1 entry, with him committed to bringing his IndyCar driver Colton Herta to grand prix racing.

Andretti believes Herta’s presence would be one of the keys to making the team’s presence a success for F1 as a whole, at a time when there are two races in America – at COTA and new-for-2022 Miami – and a third is being planned for Las Vegas.

He suggested that the way Max Verstappen has boosted Dutch interest in grand prix racing proves that an American driver could do the same for the potential audience in the USA.

“You look at the growth in ratings in the Netherlands because they’ve got a driver,” he said. “There’s none here. If you get a good driver with a good following like Colton, I think they’ll be in great shape.

“To me it’s a no-brainer. I don’t know what the hold-up is, so hopefully they figure it out. The way we’re going to do it is going to be first class all the way. We’ve got big plans that will really be good for Formula 1.
To me to suggest Herta is a Max equivalent when he has no F1 experience is a big call. ("Tell him he's dreamin'" comes to mind. :wink: )

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I don't quite think that's what he meant. Max had instant Dutch fans before we knew what his potential was. The model is more like having an entire country behind you due to national pride.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

We were following Max since his F3 times, which was one season only. But in that season he swept Spa and the Norisring. Finished 3rd, with a team that is not a front-runner at all. Van Amersfoort Racing.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago I hope not, F1 needs more entries as it is. 26 cars should be the minimum.
I would prefer that Andretti be an 11th team instead of buying out an existing team. We clearly need more teams, more seats, and more real drivers. FIA needs to revise their regulations to encourage new teams instead of raising barriers to their entry.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 2 years ago Was gonna post this too, would be an easier way in, although HAAS using Ferrari bits may complicate it since isn’t Andretti’s preferred partner Renault?
Mario Andretti suggested that Renault was the most likely engine partner but that no final call has been taken on this front.

It is understood that Ferrari remains an option if the team does get approval for the 2024 entry.

Michael Andretti added and said Renault was “one of the options”, but clarified there was “another one” and that no decision had yet been taken.

Herta still seems to be the centrepin to the whole thing, Michael thinking Herta will galvanise the US fans as Max did with the Dutch.....
Andretti says he is already quite clear in some key details about his F1 entry, with him committed to bringing his IndyCar driver Colton Herta to grand prix racing.

Andretti believes Herta’s presence would be one of the keys to making the team’s presence a success for F1 as a whole, at a time when there are two races in America – at COTA and new-for-2022 Miami – and a third is being planned for Las Vegas.

He suggested that the way Max Verstappen has boosted Dutch interest in grand prix racing proves that an American driver could do the same for the potential audience in the USA.

“You look at the growth in ratings in the Netherlands because they’ve got a driver,” he said. “There’s none here. If you get a good driver with a good following like Colton, I think they’ll be in great shape.

“To me it’s a no-brainer. I don’t know what the hold-up is, so hopefully they figure it out. The way we’re going to do it is going to be first class all the way. We’ve got big plans that will really be good for Formula 1.
To me to suggest Herta is a Max equivalent when he has no F1 experience is a big call. ("Tell him he's dreamin'" comes to mind. :wink: )

Didn't we aready deja this vu? Williams had an idea the US market might get behind F1 when they brought in Indy winner Jacques Villenueve as I reall, then Toro Rosso had Scott Speed and Sebastien Bourdais to try and get the USA market interested in F1 and that didn't work out either as I recall. There are probably other examples of this but I can't think of them right now. I admire what he's trying to do by saying he'd bring in a proven US driver to his team but as I say, it's been tried before and it didn't work, I don't see why it would this time.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!