2021 Gran Premio d'Italia di Vaffanculo

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I was also surprised at the penalty. But maybe after reading the official stewards ruling I can see how they got to that conclusion. But if it was me, I would have left it at a racing incident. (And I agree that the Silverstone incident was also on their minds in trying to apply some sort of consistency.)

What a great race this year. Monza really fits the format of these new car/tire combinations. The last few years have been great. However as evidenced by the Sprint race yesterday, if it wasn't for the high level of tire deg, Monza would be a bad track. The evidence is amazingly clear that F1 has a HUGE AERO PROBLEM. The turbulence put out by these cars is way too high to allow good racing. (It almost makes me wonder if some of the teams are now adding additional turbulence to their aero package as a defense mechanism.) They could have solved this years ago, but they let the teams have too much input and allow small constant changes with no consequence.

I was so happy for a Ricciardo win! That really was the icing on the cake. Glad to see him back on form. The spot where Norris was faster he was conserving his tires. As soon as the team gave him the "hurry up" he started putting away from Lando and the gap never came back down.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Rubber from Verstappens tire on Lewis' helmet flare. Thank fuck for the halo.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Perez finished 3rd overall but his overtakes were very messy. He did the same yesterday, gaining position by using the run-off areas and not giving it back fast enough. He would have done well to learn from that today.
Yea, I wonder if that is Perez being headstrong, or is it Red Bull corporate philosophy? But it was mistake in both cases.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 years ago I was expecting something more from Bottas, up to the SC restart he had a great race, after that IMHO it was quite unremarkable
Ah...yea.

Can't wait to see how George Russell does in that car.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago 3 grid spot penalty for Max.... to be served a Sochi in two weeks time.
My bias would be to rule it as a racing incident, but not surprised Verstappen was penalized. He now holds the records of the most penalty points ever accumulated as a driver.

He does drive hard...all the time. It was bound to catch up with him.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago The evidence is amazingly clear that F1 has a HUGE AERO PROBLEM. The turbulence put out by these cars is way too high to allow good racing. (It almost makes me wonder if some of the teams are now adding additional turbulence to their aero package as a defense mechanism.) They could have solved this years ago, but they let the teams have too much input and allow small constant changes with no consequence.
Yea, I keep suggesting that we just ban wings. So far in all the various forums I have been on, I have had only one person agree with me.

We shall see how the latest Ross Brawn fix works for 2022. It is another tweak or an actual solution?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago 3 grid spot penalty for Max.... to be served a Sochi in two weeks time.
My bias would be to rule it as a racing incident, but not surprised Verstappen was penalized. He now holds the records of the most penalty points ever accumulated as a driver.

Amazingly those are the first points against him for over 12 months... ie the only points against him current.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

Amazingly those are the first points against him for over 12 months... ie the only points against him current.
I know, but he been pretty consistent, he never gives an inch. I suspect it will become more of an issue if the series gets more competitive in 2022.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

If max doesn't go for that gap he's probably not a racing driver. Sucked in. Successful move in the end, the only person ever to overtake Hamilton by going above him :)

Curiously like prost/senna in that you can watch it a few times and change your mind about it.

3 grid places ok, a sop to Merc

Ultimately likely good for Max psychologically, Lewis knows he's never going to back out of anything this season
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago The evidence is amazingly clear that F1 has a HUGE AERO PROBLEM. The turbulence put out by these cars is way too high to allow good racing. (It almost makes me wonder if some of the teams are now adding additional turbulence to their aero package as a defense mechanism.) They could have solved this years ago, but they let the teams have too much input and allow small constant changes with no consequence.
Yea, I keep suggesting that we just ban wings. So far in all the various forums I have been on, I have had only one person agree with me.

We shall see how the latest Ross Brawn fix works for 2022. It is another tweak or an actual solution?
I think banning wings is not needed (evidence: F2 and Indycar). But instead simplifying the wings to a single fixed and a single adjustable element. Perhaps with a Gurney flap on the back. Maybe even return to flat floor venturi devices. Unfortunately, wings are here to stay in open wheel cars. But the number of sophisticated and expensive aero bits need to go away along with the rear diffuser.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago It just feels very.. racing incidenty.. to me.
I agree.

Max had every right to be there.

Hamilton didn't give him room.

But Hamilton did need to make the turn, and it's a tight corner. And he's on cold tyres so he'll be squirming around the place a bit even if he wanted to give him room.

Very racing incidenty to me too.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago But instead simplifying the wings to a single fixed and a single adjustable element. Perhaps with a Gurney flap on the back. Maybe even return to flat floor venturi devices. Unfortunately, wings are here to stay in open wheel cars. But the number of sophisticated and expensive aero bits need to go away along with the rear diffuser.
I want to see more engineering and design in F1, rather than less.

So I've always advocated for having a fixed (and far reduced from current levels) surface area that you can work with.

So you can still come up with some smart design and do a better job than the others. Yes it might create dirty air a little bit, but it would be a whole lot better than what currently happens.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Are you expecting F1 cars to look like this?

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

This grid penalty is really unjustified in my opinion.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago It just feels very.. racing incidenty.. to me.
I agree.

Max had every right to be there.

Hamilton didn't give him room.

But Hamilton did need to make the turn, and it's a tight corner. And he's on cold tyres so he'll be squirming around the place a bit even if he wanted to give him room.

Very racing incidenty to me too.
Also the fault of the kerbs for what happened. If they weren't there it's possible max would have been through and not had to hand the place back.

It's so prost senna in the sense that senna didn't quite have the corner by turn in time.

Impulsive move yes, maybe he'd have passed anyway at curva grande
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
This grid penalty is really unjustified in my opinion.
I think it is a political type of thing.... Sillystone was judged predominantly Lewis at fault and penalised, this one Max, and so unable to get a 10 second because he DNF'd they gave him the minimum grid penalty. I still think it was a racing incident, but hoefully he can make the 3 place drop immediately.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always