Heineken Dutch Grand Prix 2021

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

OK after the shit fight of last weekend hopefully we return to some sort of normality this weekend.... a race without a Safety Car would be nice.

First the track..... that is after you have posted your tips. You know the form.... click on link below

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17276

OK I think we all know it is not the Zandvoort that we all remembered. That goes back to 1948 for the first (pre championship) Dutch GP. In Championship terms Zandvoort previously hosted the Dutch Grand Prix between 1952 and 1985.

First thing I must throw in about the track is I had always been led to believe the track design was the work of John Hugenholtz, designer of Suzuka. Although he had ties to the circuit, it was actually a group of Dutch motorcyclist enthusiasts who designed the track with assistance from Sammy Davis, who won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1927. The track made use of communications roads built during the Second World War by the occupying German army. . The original 4.2km track had multiple elevation changes, and featured fast, sweeping turns, such as the fearsome Tarzan corner.....

We know 35 years after the last time It was set to return to the calendar in 2020..... thanks to huge local support for Dutch driver Max Verstappen. This plan was put on hold by a year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Now we are back to have another go.

For years now the Dutch fans have been bringing the party atmosphere with their "Orange Army" to Formula 1 in support of Max Verstappen, and now finally they have a race on home soil again.

The Netherlands has a population of 17.5 million, and the municipality of Zandvoort serves as one of the country's major beach resorts. It has a population of around 17,000.

Ahead of its Formula 1 return Circuit Zandvoort underwent a major transformation.

The biggest of those changes being the introduction of two banked corners.

The now 4.252 km-track has introduced banking to the iconic Hugenholtzbocht corner, while Arie Luyendijkbocht, the last corner of the lap, now features banking at 19 degrees, making it twice as steep as the banking seen at Indianapolis.

The circuit features 13 turns, and the firm in charge of redesigning the track, Dromo Circuit Design, said they wanted to emulate Eau Rouge and Raidillon at Spa, and Silverstone's fast-paced sweep of Maggots and Becketts as the fastest F1 cars to date are sent thundering around a new and improved Zandvoort.

First Grand Prix
1952. The 1952 and 1953 races were held to Formula 2 specifications, so it wasn’t until 1955 (no race in 1954) that F1 machinery first took on the challenges of the Zandvoort circuit

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.259km

Race Distance
306.648 km

Lap Record
null null (null)

When was the track built?
Like Silverstone, Zandvoort was first opened in 1948, part of the wave of post-war motorsport enthusiasm that swept across Europe. Originally made up of a mixture of permanent track and public roads that snaked through the sand dunes of the Zandvoort resort town, the Dutch Automobile Racing Club – who initiated the plans for the circuit – as mentioned, brought in 1927 Le Mans winner Sammy Davis to consult on the layout for the original 4.2km track.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Formula 1 arrived in the Dutch dunes in 1952, with Alberto Ascari dominating the race as he led home a 1-2-3 for Ferrari. Formula 1 would go on to race on and off at the track until 1985 – before, in 2019, the announcement came that the championship would return to Zandvoort for 2020, after a 35-year hiatus. The Covid-19 pandemic meant that became 36 years and a 2021 date.

What’s the circuit like?
‘Really quick’, ‘pretty insane’, ‘crazy’ and ‘old-school’ were words used by the current crop of F1 drivers when asked to describe the Zandvoort track that many of them tackled in their junior category days. We’d also add ‘undulating’ to that list. The Zandvoort track swoops and flows through the sand dunes, creating a rollercoaster-like feel to the lap. And while the circuit will be modernised in time for F1’s 2020 return – including increasing the banking angle at the famous Tarzan corner to an Indianapolis Motor Speedway-trumping 18 degrees – Zandvoort will remain a proper, challenging drivers’ track.

A lap of this new Zandvoort

Dutch Grand Prix F1 Circuit Information

After negotiating the first right-hander drivers will sweep through Turn 2 and be forced to negotiate some elevation changes through Turn 3 before arriving at the now banked Hugenholtzbocht corner.

A quick sweeping section follows for the drivers to blast through, before a double right-hander which could offer an overtaking spot for the brave.

Drivers must then bare left through a wide curved section, before braking hard into a right-to-left chicane.

It's then another right before arriving at the impressively reprofiled Arie Luyendijkbocht to launch competitors on to the main straight and begin the next lap of this historic circuit.

For years the Dutch fans followed Max Verstappen around the F1 calendar, but now they have a race of their own.

Turn 1 (Tarzan corner) - A tight right bend which presents a harsh breaking zone for drivers after that blast down the straight.
Turn 2 (Gerlach corner) - The track rises up into this slight right-hand bend, only a slight throttle lift in a modern F1 car.
Turn 3 (Hugenholtz corner) - Already an iconic turn, this sweeping but deceptively tight left now features banking to allow for different racing lines.
Turn 4 (Hunzerug) - A little left kink, no need to lift.
Turn 5 (Rob Slotemaker corner) - This time a right kink, again full throttle is the way to go.
Turn 6 (Scheivlak) - Hang on through this sweeping right, for those who don't, the gravel awaits.
Turn 7 (Masters corner, formerly Marlboro corner) - The kerb is tight for this right-hander but the widening track that follows encourages drivers to get the power down.
Turn 8 - But be careful, because a sharper right follows swiftly.
Turn 9 - After accelerating it's a dab of brakes again for this sweeping left that demands a lot from the front tyres.
Turn 10/11 - (Hans Ernst corner formerly Audi S corner) - A right-to-left chicane that presents an overtaking opportunity, but also the chance of disaster.
Turn 12 - (Kumho corner) - Take some pace into this right, but don't be too greedy, that gravel trap is unforgiving.
Turn 13 (Arie Luyendyk corner) - This flat out right has been transformed with 18-degrees banking, encouraging drivers to take different routes as they build up for the DRS-assisted straight.
or a lap with Max

Well, we have no form or recent history to talk of here so what to do.....? We have history at Zandvoort, but there has been no GPs here since 1985. But we had some great races here in the past and a number of memorable moments. We have had some good races too.

James Hunt won his first ever GP here in the Hesketh back in 1975.
Can you imagine the party afterwards....

Niki Lauda was his 25th and last ever GP at Zandvoort in his McLaren in 1985.
A great battle with his arch rival Alain Prost and some great defending from Lauda over a dozen laps at the end saw him win by 0.2 secs.

Hunt and Andretti took each other out fighting for the lead in 1977....
Hunt was out on the spot but Andretti continued until his engine blew. James was not happy. He stormed off to the Lotus pit to give Colin Chapman his full and frank assessment of Andretti’s driving ability.

Gilles Villeneuve thrilled us all with a lap in his three wheeler Ferrari in 1979.
Villeneuve had brilliantly fought his way into the lead of the 1979 Dutch Grand Prix after an audacious move on Alan Jones’ Williams around the outside of Tarzan. But with a slow puncture on his left-rear Michelin, he spun once in front of the Australian, recovered beautifully, then had to force his 312T4 into a second spin when its tyre exploded.

Undeterred as he sat off the track, Villeneuve found reverse, dragged himself back out of the mud and, with one arm raised to warn the drivers behind him, set about getting back to the Ferrari pits, one-handed and three-wheeled.

Title rivals Prost and Piquet clashed in 1983

Those moments are on this video....

Who has won the Dutch GP?

Driver Wins
CLARK Jim 4
STEWART Jackie 3
LAUDA Niki 3
ASCARI Alberto 2
BRABHAM Jack 2
HUNT James 2
PROST Alain 2
FANGIO Juan Manuel 1
MOSS Stirling 1
BONNIER Jo 1
von TRIPS Wolfgang 1
HILL Graham 1
RINDT Jochen 1
ICKX Jacky 1
ANDRETTI Mario 1
JONES Alan 1
PIQUET Nelson 1
PIRONI Didier 1
ARNOUX René 1

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

How about spectator restrictions?

I'm going to the Hamove Wegraces at the Varsselring near Hengelo, NL come Friday and they have immense restrictions there.
1. The paddock around the Hamove mill is only accessible to participants and helpers. No public allowed.
2. Max 750 people public on Saturday, location Boschbocht at 1.5 km from the paddock and only accessible via the village of Hengelo. Rest of the circuit not accessible to the public
3. Max 750 people public on Sunday, location Boschbocht at 1.5 km from the paddock and only accessible via the village of Hengelo. Rest of the circuit not accessible to the public
4. The following applies to EVERYONE: access is only possible when showing a Corona admission ticket (Vaccination certificate, recovery certificate or test certificate) in combination with proof of identity in accordance with the current guidelines of the RIVM.
Well, cue 1. since you have to pay big bucks to get into F1 paddock.
But what about the remainder?
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I copied this from twitter for you. It's said to be the trophy for the race.
Here is the DutchGP trophy, made from recycled materials. The green glass bowl is created from (race sponsor) Heineken bottles, and the plastic plinth formed from plastic crates. Inspired by the first trophy awarded at Zandvoort in 1939.

Perfect for Vettel after his rubbish collecting and being green and recycled etc. I'm surprised they didn't go with something in orange to be honest ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The track map I posted tonight (yes its 2:00 am here) seems to be correct, but, just confirming a change to the original plan..... and its not good if you want to see any overtaking.

F1 opts against DRS use on Zandvoort banking

Drivers will have an even tougher time overtaking at Zandvoort than originally anticipated, with the FIA electing not to allow DRS use through the final banked corner.

Originally proposed was the idea of a banked last turn in a bid to offer a much longer period of full-throttle running than the original configuration allowed.

With passing places extremely limited on the narrow circuit, it was felt that this design would at least give a chance of some action.

Computer simulations show that the flat out banked bend should add another 340 metres of flat out action – on top of the 678 metres of straight that follows.

The banking was made so extreme – with a profiling of 32 percent, the equivalent of 18 degrees – to give drivers enough load through the corner to run with DRS open.

However, for the inaugural Dutch GP this weekend, the FIA has elected to play it safe and will only allow DRS to be opened after the corner.

Circuit chief Jan Lammers said on Wednesday: “That is the decision of the FIA. They just want to see how it goes this year and they want to collect data in real life.

“They’re not taking any risks and that’s understandable for this first edition in 36 years.”

The idea for DRS on the banking came from the late Charlie Whiting..... it then went through the analysts, systems, simulator stuff and clever people. The simulations showed that x degrees of banking was needed, which the track builders achieved .... but now it seems the "OMG its too dangerous someone might break a fingernail" brigade stepped in and the concept was shelved at the last minute.
Oh well better than them having to lap behind a Safety Car or make the area a permanent VSC zone.

(Yes im still pissed at last weekend.... the fact that we had a 12.5 points given for two laps behind an SC.... when a Sprint race of near 20 laps scores only 3 points. And I dont really agree on the Sprint thing anyway, points for qualifying etc. So we ended up with 12.5 points in effect for qualifying..... :sick: ).[/rant]
I promised myself I wouldnt... :nah:

Yeah so the track that was banked like it is solely to be able to use DRS now wont be (using DRS). Not until the straight anyway..

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Andy wrote: 2 years ago How about spectator restrictions?

I'm going to the Hamove Wegraces at the Varsselring near Hengelo, NL come Friday and they have immense restrictions there.
1. The paddock around the Hamove mill is only accessible to participants and helpers. No public allowed.
2. Max 750 people public on Saturday, location Boschbocht at 1.5 km from the paddock and only accessible via the village of Hengelo. Rest of the circuit not accessible to the public
3. Max 750 people public on Sunday, location Boschbocht at 1.5 km from the paddock and only accessible via the village of Hengelo. Rest of the circuit not accessible to the public
4. The following applies to EVERYONE: access is only possible when showing a Corona admission ticket (Vaccination certificate, recovery certificate or test certificate) in combination with proof of identity in accordance with the current guidelines of the RIVM.
Well, cue 1. since you have to pay big bucks to get into F1 paddock.
But what about the remainder?
A bit different for F1 it seems....
Zandvoort will go ahead with spectators this year, despite Covid-19 restrictions remaining in place in The Netherlands ,which restrict capacity to 70,000 per day. Basically that means only 67 percent of the entire capacity of the circuit at Zandvoort can be used, with the Dutch government announcing the limit for the event a couple of weeks ago. (They were hoping to be able to have 105,000 to make it a financial success)

Not sure if the rules are different depending on region.... no idea where your venue is but Zandvoort is AFAIK in the North of the Netherlands.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Not sure if the rules are different depending on region.... no idea where your venue is but Zandvoort is AFAIK in the North of the Netherlands.
West of the Netherlands.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Jan Lammers is the circuit chief 😂 One of the few drivers who has raced in the 70s through to the 90s in F1.

Looking at that list of winners - half of whom are no longer with us. God it’s been a while since we’ve been here hasn’t it?!

I like this track. Learnt it by going round on the Codemasters game. The hilly part at the start of the second sector is awesome. Overtaking can be awful but you can take a few lines into the first and second corners, with the corkscrew effect giving it a Sepang feel.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bugger. Looking increasingly likely that I'll have to travel on Sunday, and not sure if I'll have Fox Sports in my hotel room or not!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Bugger. Looking increasingly likely that I'll have to travel on Sunday, and not sure if I'll have Fox Sports in my hotel room or not!
If you have Foxel at home you can get the (free) Foxtel Go App which allows you to stream anything to a mobile / laptop etc.

This will tell you what you need to do / get / have. https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtel-go.html

Or some kind person here might post a stream link so you can watch it on your laptop via the hotel wi-fi.

If you know the hotel you are staying at ring them and ask if they have Fox Sports.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Mercedes apparently believe this track will suit their car the most out of the current three races.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Bugger. Looking increasingly likely that I'll have to travel on Sunday, and not sure if I'll have Fox Sports in my hotel room or not!
If you have Foxel at home you can get the (free) Foxtel Go App which allows you to stream anything to a mobile / laptop etc.

This will tell you what you need to do / get / have. https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtel-go.html
You little ripper!

That works! :mates:

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Botts will take Lewis out at T1 as payback to the team for giving him the flick. :fingers: :fingers: :aggro: :twisted:

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Botts will take Lewis out at T1 as payback to the team for giving him the flick. :fingers: :fingers: :aggro: :twisted:
The 'race' will be run 2 laps behind the safety car and then they call it a day because it is too hot, too windy ....
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Andy wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Botts will take Lewis out at T1 as payback to the team for giving him the flick. :fingers: :fingers: :aggro: :twisted:
The 'race' will be run 2 laps behind the safety car and then they call it a day because it is too hot, too windy ....
Too much sand on the track.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Andy wrote: 2 years ago
Too much sand on the track.
Rumour has it they'll bring out stolen second-hand bicycles sold to them from Amsterdam and race with them instead