Is it time for F1 to move on from Spa?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Is it time for F1 to move on from Spa?

Post by John »

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... e-calendar

While the article is somewhat clickbaity, it does raise some good topics.

The racing more often than not suck. No doubt this is a combo of the track and the current cars.
Eau Rouge/Raidillon is a problem. The amount of stupid big pile ups there the past few years are too many. And obviously the contract situation.

Re-working Eau Rouge might be a good solution, tightening the entrance would a good place to start, making it more like it was in the 1960's.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I hate there is only 44 laps.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago I hate there is only 44 laps.
44 laps is better than two.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago I hate there is only 44 laps.
Nurburgring (Nordschleife) used to be only 14 laps in its last years!
And Spa used to be only 28 laps back in the sixties

Still better than 2! :mrgreen:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I think that Spa needs to make some changes and introducing gravel traps is a good start. And with the amount of large scale accidents at the track in recent years I would understand if negotiations will be tough going forward. But under no circumstances can it be replaced by yet another cookie cutter course in the Gulf.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

We've seen a lot of cars skate across the surface of the gravel though, so I'm not even sure that's an answer in some places. Did it help Burti in 2001 for instance? Did it help Villeneuve in 1998 or 1999?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

I think it would be helpful to develop a new solution to replace tyre barriers. Something that would absorb the impact and _not_ rebound cars like the tyres do.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The FIA is going to change the barriers in such a way that cars won't bounce back onto the track after spinning of the track. Gravel traps are going to re-introduced. And i would like to have the entry of the Eau Rouge - Raidillion to be more tight. In an F1 car it is a very easy corner now. Flat out, while in 1999 you still had to lift a bit. Have to say: in 1999 we had the grooved tires.

Also the track has some severe bumps at that place after it had to have quick repairs after the huge downpour a month ago. Several F1 drivers, Hamilton i.e. Porsche Cup drivers and also the girls of Formula W mentioned it.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Add gravel and move barriers where possible, but it stays on the calendar for me.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Arthur-vL
Favourite Motorsport: Everything except for drag racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus
Favourite Driver: Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: The Nurburgring Norschleiffe!

Post by Arthur-vL »

I would say that it is also the mentality of nowadays drivers that are causing crashes like this. A double yellow means you have to prepare for a stop cause the road is most probably blocked. But with the Kemmel straight after it no one lifts at all.
I heard that the woman who hits Visser in the W series hit Visser at full speed after a staggering 12 seconds after the first car crashed in Eau Rouge! 12 seconds! Howcome she did not see double yellows!

I think creating more space is a good thing on top of the radillon, but also tarmac as at Paul Ricard; when you drive over that surface your tires are gone. So Spa can definately be on the calender!
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

As others said, tighten Eau Rouge.

Why are so many cars hitting the left side of the barriers these days?

It feels like they're going 100% across the curbs, getting unsettled, and then launching to the left instead of off to the right as they used to more commonly.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I wouldn't mind a very mild chicane at the top of the hill. That would still preserve the majesty of Eau Rouge as you approach it at speed from La Source but you'd have to brake and slow down as you climb up. Most of the big accidents happen at the rise since they're trying to carry as much speed as possible onto the following Kemmel Straight. It would be sort of like Road Atlanta's first turn.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Not sure if I mentioned it here or someplace else, but the thing about Eau Rouge is that you are going to hit the wall if you loose the cars. So it becomes an exercise in keeping the impacts safe and the cars from reentering the racing surface. Gravel seems like the ideal solution to the later, yes you get issues with cars bouncing across, but the assumption is that they are going into the wall anyway and a damaged car stops faster in gravel than on tarmac where it can slide quite a while. It would also cut down on the psychological aspect in which a driver can just elect not to take the left on top of the hill as easy as it is now. The only downside to this that we've seen cars take off due to hitting a bump there, something that loose surface would probably help with too.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

The racing is sucking in the last few years mainly because most corners are now taken in 3rd or 4th gear. They take Pouhon in 7th and le Fagne in 4th or 5th. The downforce levels of these cars are way too high and this has meant fewer heavy braking zones giving us a Silverstone and Barcelona-style problem. As for Eau Rouge, like all the above said, moving the barriers slightly, tightening the corner and increasing gravel traps will fix it.