2022 F1 Calendar *Miami under pressure -NIMBY protests threat*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2022 F1 Calendar *Miami under pressure -NIMBY protests threat*

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

2022 F1 Calendar

At this stage events are provisional, or as they suggest 'predicted'. Time for a 2022 thread to be started anyway......

OK so a provisional calendar for next year has appeared. Not sure if it will bear any reality to what transpires but it is a starting point.
One thing that seems to have been pencilled in is an Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park on April 10th making it round 3 for 2022. I guess that is an indication that hopes are high we will be sufficiently vaccinated to all the F1 riff-raff to be welcomed to our shores without the need to do a 14 day quarantine.

Will it happen? Who knows.

One thing that seems apparent is we will get more pre-season testing with 3 days each at Catalunya and Bahrain. (ISTR we only had a few days at Bahrain this year. :dunno: Given the totally new cars for next year it is bordering on essential I would think.

Anyway......
The date on which next year’s Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix will fall has emerged as officials continue locking down the 2022 calendar.

Next year’s Australian GP, set to be the first after a two-year absence from the competition, will take place on April 10.

As previously reported, that will make the Albert Park event the third round of a season which looks set to kick off in Bahrain in March.

Six days of testing are set to precede the season proper, split between Barcelona and Bahrain.

The former is the traditional home of winter testing and is expected to host teams from February 23-25.

Another three days will follow, starting on March 11, in Bahrain prior to the opening race of the season on March 20 at the same venue.

The competition will then head to Saudi Arabia on March 27 before a two-week gap prior to the Australian Grand Prix.

It’s a logical sequence of events which offers teams early running of their all-new cars in Spain close to their European bases and at a facility known well to them.

What follows in Bahrain is the chance to run in warmer, more representative conditions, while at the same time cutting down on the logistics required for the sport.

Given that sequence, and the expectation that Saudi Arabia will host the second event, it will need to do so in March so as to avoid Ramadan, which begins on April 2.

Where the circus heads following its visit to Albert Park remains less certain, though Shangai is a strong candidate given F1’s interest in remaining in that market.

Last year’s Chinese Grand Prix was postponed prior to the season even start, and was formally cancelled in August. It has only ever been listed as ‘postponed’ thus far in 2021.

Given F1’s desire to both be more sustainable and reduce its carbon footprint, pairing events in nearby regions makes sense.

The Vietnam Grand Prix, which had its 2020 event postponed before being cancelled, now looks to be dead in the water amid suggestions assets from the unused venue are up for sale.

Using previous calendars as a guide, we can forecast the remainder of the season, with the Azerbaijan, Spanish, and Monaco Grands Prix to follow before the sport heads to North America.

The wildcard is the possibility that Imola could remain on the calendar, with desire from the Emilia Romagna region to continue hosting an event going forward.

Singapore, however, is not expected to reappear.

With this year’s event cancelled, the city-state is out of contract with F1, and interest in the event is dwindling locally among other economic priorities.

Last year’s Australian Grand Prix was cancelled on the Friday morning of the event following McLaren’s withdrawal after one of its team members tested positive for coronavirus.

This year’s race was originally scheduled for its traditional season-opening slot but was postponed to November as organisers looked to buy time for international travel to return to normal, before being called off entirely last month.

In the wake of that announcement, Paul Little, chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, let slip that at an April date was favoured for the Melbourne event moving forward.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/03/au ... e-emerges/

Predicted 2022 Formula 1 Calendar

Round Event Date
Test Barcelona February 23-25
Test Sakhir International Circuit March 11-13

Race Dates.
1 Bahrain Grand Prix March 20
2 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix March 27
3 Australian Grand Prix April 10
4 Chinese Grand Prix April 17
5 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix May 1
6 Spanish Grand Prix May 15
7 Monaco Grand Prix May 29
8 Azerbaijan Grand Prix June 5
9 Canadian Grand Prix June 19
10 Miami Grand Prix June 26
11 French Grand Prix July 10
12 Austrian Grand Prix July 17
13 British Grand Prix July 24
14 Hungarian Grand Prix August 7
15 Belgian Grand Prix September 4
16 Dutch Grand Prix September 11
17 Italian Grand Prix September 18
18 Russian Grand Prix October 2
19 Japanese Grand Prix October 16
20 United States Grand Prix October 30
21 Mexico City Grand Prix November 6
22 Sao Paulo Grand Prix November 13
23 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 27
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

So Miami in June? Hottest and Rainiest time of the year for that region. Should be interesting.

Also, is anyone in the right mind going to come up with a new track for F1 at this point? Look at what they did to Vietnam. Whomever put up the funds to organize that should have a nice lawsuit on their hands. Millions spent just to have the F1 organizers turnaround and say: "Nevermind"!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Didn't Vietnam get scrapped because of some shady doings by the organiser?

Regarding Imola: has this become a permanent thing now? Can't we trade it for Mugello..?
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark

Post by Mawerick »

I just wish the season would start in Australia and end in Brazil. It would be the right way of doing things.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago I just wish the season would start in Australia and end in Brazil. It would be the right way of doing things.
You've completely mis-spelled Japan, there.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I seriously doubt that calendar will hold as it is. I mean at one time you would see the calendar and once it was confirmed know the races would happen then. These days you doubt every big event and with good reason.

I also think 23 races is too many, or at least it is in my opinion.

Thanks for putting it up though @Everso Biggyballies :thumbsup:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I guess it makes sense to plan 23 and hope to squeeze out 20.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Didn't Vietnam get scrapped because of some shady doings by the organiser?
Yes, ultimately.

The race was initially postponed and later cancelled due to the COVID-19 and the first Vietnam race postponed to 2021. The Grand Prix was removed from the 2021 calendar because of the arrest of Hanoi People's Committee Chairman Nguyễn Đức Chung on corruption charges (unrelated to the Grand Prix).

Apparently he tucked away a trillion dongs! :shocked: (The average male can get himself into enough trouble with just one dong. :haha: )
A Vietnamese court on Friday sentenced the former head of Hanoi’s governing body to five years in jail for misappropriating secret state documents and misusing assets in a case that caused more than $40 million of losses to the state budget.

In a verdict read to the court, a judge said Nguyen Duc Chung, 53, the former Hanoi People’s Committee chairman, was the main instigator in the case involving the alleged smuggling of electronic equipment through a technology company into Vietnam.

The judge said the hiding of profits amassed by the company caused around 1 trillion dong ($43.24 million) of losses to the state budget.

Reuters could not immediately reach Chung’s lawyers for comment. Chung had pleaded guilty at the start of the trial and he apologised to the Communist Party for his actions.

Three other people, including a former policeman received prison sentences of between 18 months and 4 1/2 years over the case, said the judge.

The once high-flying Chung, who had also been a former police chief of Hanoi, took up the position of chairman of Hanoi in late 2015.

During his tenure, Hanoi successfully struck a deal to host Vietnam’s first Formula 1 race, which was then cancelled following his arrest in August and due to the pandemic.

His sentencing comes as the Vietnam government has stepped up its fight against corruption, with several senior officials arrested and jailed ahead of the Communist Party’s five-yearly congress.

Government critics say the corruption crackdown is politically motivated.
https://www.reuters.com/article/vietnam ... SKBN28L0UE

XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Didn't Vietnam get scrapped because of some shady doings by the organiser?
Yes, ultimately.

The race was initially postponed and later cancelled due to the COVID-19 and the first Vietnam race postponed to 2021. The Grand Prix was removed from the 2021 calendar because of the arrest of Hanoi People's Committee Chairman Nguyễn Đức Chung on corruption charges (unrelated to the Grand Prix).
OK. I was apparently not paying attention before. I thought F1 just pulled out. But now I know.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Calendar will be released in September or October. Domenicali has confirmed that the Miami GP will take place in the first half of May.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/2022-cal ... ember.html
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

isn't that the Thunderseason for Florida?

@jimclark
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Early May is better than the first reported June date.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Provisional calendar has been released: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _released/

Provisional 2022 F1 calendar
March 20 - Bahrain
March 27 - Saudi Arabia
April 10 - Australia
April 24 - China
May 8 - United States [Miami]
May 22 - Spain
May 29 - Monaco
June 12 - Azerbaijan
June 19 - Canada
July 3 - Britain
July 10 - Austria
July 17 - France or Italy [Imola]
July 31 - Hungary
August 28 - Belgium
September 4 - Netherlands
September 11 - Italy [Monza]
September 25 - Russia
October 2 - Singapore or Turkey
October 9 - Japan
October 23 - United States [Austin]
October 30 - Mexico
November 13 - Brazil
November 20 - Abu Dhabi
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

23 rounds which I think is over the top and probably 4 too many.

Hopefully I will rethink that thought after the first few races on the basis that the new regs have given us sensational races..... not holding my breath but live in hope.. :fingers: :fingers:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I really feel for the mechanics and other personnel in all these teams. Several team managers say for years that these people are on their limit. Employees who leave their teams because they are over their limits.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."