2022 F1 Calendar *Miami under pressure -NIMBY protests threat*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago We all are!

Regarding the San Marino Vs Emilia Romagna discussion, I think historically there was pressure on races to be named after a country.. so you ended up with a Swiss grand Prix in France, a Luxembourg grand Prix in Germany, and a San Marino grand Prix in Italy. (I think I'm part it was to disguise the fact that countries had multiple races).

Imola has now hosted the Italian Grand Prix, San Marino Grand Prix and the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. Only one circuit has hosted four differently named grand Prix.. who wants to tell the class which circuit that was? 😂
Eifel GP, German GP, Luxembourg GP and European GP. And it begins in 'N' and ends in ring.. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

Regarding the San Marino Vs Emilia Romagna discussion, I think historically there was pressure on races to be named after a country.. so you ended up with a Swiss grand Prix in France, a Luxembourg grand Prix in Germany, and a San Marino grand Prix in Italy. (I think I'm part it was to disguise the fact that countries had multiple races).

Imola has now hosted the Italian Grand Prix, San Marino Grand Prix and the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. Only one circuit has hosted four differently named grand Prix.. who wants to tell the class which circuit that was? 😂
Eifel GP, German GP, Luxembourg GP and European GP. And it begins in 'N' and ends in ring.. :wink:
Norisring? Wrong. 😉
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Regarding the San Marino Vs Emilia Romagna discussion, I think historically there was pressure on races to be named after a country.
Not really. For years, we had a Long Beach GP and a Detroit GP. Sure, there were people calling it the US GP This and US GP That, but the official name was always LB and Detroit. There is a historical explanation for all of this, but it's longwinded and I don't think there's enough interest here, is there?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

GP USA West and East.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Was San Marino sponsored by their tourist board some time? I'm sure I saw a video on the delights of San Marino ahead of one of the races, possibly 1981

San Marino is basically a bit of a hill surrounded by a bit of a town. But it looked nice in an Italian sort of way
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago GP USA West and East.
This is how I see it. (The official F1 website does too.)
When there was only one GP in a year they were known as the USGP. When there was more than one GP in the US in any year they were known as @erwin greven indicates, US GP West / East.
So we had US GPs held at Watkins Glen, and also some US GP Easts held at Watkins Glen. Same with Detroit As below.

*Not including the Indy 500 years.*

48 US GP's
15 at Watkins Glen (1961-75)
9 at Austin
8 at Indianapolis
4 at Detroit (1985/6/7/8)
3 at Phoenix
1 at Sebring
1 at Riverside
1 at Dallas

8 US West GPs (8 at Long Beach)

8 US East GPs
(5 at Watkins Glen, 1976/7/8/9/80
3 at Detroit. 1982/3/4)

The only GP's in the US not titled US seem to be Las Vegas. Titled Las Vegas GP but promoted and known officially as the Caesars Palace GP. Both of them.

Oh forgot about the 50's ones at Indianapolis. They AFAIK just took the Indy 500 tag.

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago

Regarding the San Marino Vs Emilia Romagna discussion, I think historically there was pressure on races to be named after a country.
Not really. For years, we had a Long Beach GP and a Detroit GP. Sure, there were people calling it the US GP This and US GP That, but the official name was always LB and Detroit. There is a historical explanation for all of this, but it's longwinded and I don't think there's enough interest here, is there?
Oh I know it wasn't always the case. We used to get Avus GP, Pescara GP, Caesars Palace GP.. but I think that at some points in history there was pressure to assign races to countries to the point where they went to countries that they weren't in. It only happened in the 80s and 90s (For world championship events anyway)
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago GP USA West and East.
This is how I see it. (The official F1 website does too.)
When there was only one GP in a year they were known as the USGP. When there was more than one GP in the US in any year they were known as @erwin greven indicates, US GP West / East.
So we had US GPs held at Watkins Glen, and also some US GP Easts held at Watkins Glen. Same with Detroit As below.

*Not including the Indy 500 years.*

48 US GP's
15 at Watkins Glen (1961-75)
9 at Austin
8 at Indianapolis
4 at Detroit (1985/6/7/8)
3 at Phoenix
1 at Sebring
1 at Riverside
1 at Dallas

8 US West GPs (8 at Long Beach)

8 US East GPs
(5 at Watkins Glen, 1976/7/8/9/80
3 at Detroit. 1982/3/4)

The only GP's in the US not titled US seem to be Las Vegas. Titled Las Vegas GP but promoted and known officially as the Caesars Palace GP. Both of them.

Oh forgot about the 50's ones at Indianapolis. They AFAIK just took the Indy 500 tag.
Actually some grand Prix at Detroit were designated Detroit GP, and the race in Dallas was the Dallas GP.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

As I said,
Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago Sure, there were people calling it the US GP This and US GP That, but the official name was always LB and Detroit.
There was never a US Grand Prix at Detroit, and the Long Beach GP was only once called the "USA Grand Prix West of Long Beach", or something like that. But I know, there is a tendency to rewrite history retrospectively, for whatever reasons. And it's no surprise to see the FIA actively involved in that.

Even more so, there is also the case of the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix, which was a Formula 2000 race won by Jacques Laffite, and not the 1976 WDC decider won by Mario Andretti. People don't want to accept that, maybe because it derails their tidy sense of what history "should be", but the facts are indisputable - I wrote a post on TNF about that several years ago:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/6485 ... ?p=1827111

EDIT: I should mention that the links in the TNF post are no longer valid, since the JAF website changed its structure and layout considerably several years ago.
Last edited by Michael Ferner 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago As I said,
Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago Sure, there were people calling it the US GP This and US GP That, but the official name was always LB and Detroit.
There was never a US Grand Prix at Detroit, and the Long Beach GP was only once called the "USA Grand Prix West of Long Beach", or something like that. But I know, there is a tendency to rewrite history retrospectively, for whatever reasons. And it's no surprise to see the FIA actively involved in that.

Even more so, there is also the case of the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix, which was a Formula 2000 race won by Jacques Laffite, and not the 1976 WDC decider won by Mario Andretti. People don't want to accept that, maybe because it derails their tidy sense of what history "should be", but the facts are indisputable - I wrote a post on TNF about that several years ago:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/6485 ... ?p=1827111
Correct, only the first F1 Long Beach race in 1976 was called United States Grand Prix West. Between 1977-79 it was called Long Beach Grand Prix and then Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach from 1980-83 - the name & sponsor carried to CART after that.

It makes no real difference unless you missed that 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix was actually 2021 Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

The 1976 F1 race at Fuji wasn't listed as Japanese GP at first even looking at the event poster. And it's been called as XII Japanese Grand Prix in retrospect - the XI Japanese GP is the Formula 2000 race at Suzuka won by Laffite which actually happened two weeks after the F1 race at Fuji.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Chelski seized by UK government. Well that's cheered everyone up here a little bit.
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well, I would worry about that. Are they going to sell it as quickly as possible, or is the UK government planning on using tax money to run a football club?

EDIT: a one-minute research reveals it to be fake news.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago Well, I would worry about that. Are they going to sell it as quickly as possible, or is the UK government planning on using tax money to run a football club?

EDIT: a one-minute research reveals it to be fake news.
Fake news that's all over the BBC? Should have done 2 minutes of research :haha:
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

The problem is journalists today don't know the difference between "freezing assets" and "seizing assets".

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago The problem is journalists today don't know the difference between "freezing assets" and "seizing assets".
There won't be any difference. He ain't getting it back
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago The problem is journalists today don't know the difference between "freezing assets" and "seizing assets".
So with the assets "frozen" does that mean the team cant trade? ie Fans cant buy a ticket to a game (unless I already have a season ticket) and I cant buy an official club hat or T-shirt from the club?

Sounds like it could be a bonus for ticket agencies who have the right to sell Chelsea tickets..... they receive the money but are not allowed to give the money received to the Ruski who owns the Club.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.