2021 Max v Lewis Hungry for More Hungarian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Images released of how badly damaged Max's car was in the Hungarian opening lap crash.... Horner jokingly said that Max's car certainly had much less downforce than the Haas of Schumacher. (The Haas being known to suffer from having little downforce compared to others)
Looking at the images it is remarkable he managed to restart really. No wonder he struggled for pace.

Despite the red flag offering Red Bull the chance to effect repairs – which included taping up holes and bending pipework back in to shape – in the end some damage could not be fixed in time before the race itself got properly going.

"It was just too much," said Horner, who added that Verstappen "had half a car".

But while from far away television cameras Verstappen's RB16B did not look too badly out of shape, it was only after the race that the extent of what he was battling again came to light.

An intriguing close-up photo posted on Formula 1's own Instagram feed highlighted how Verstappen had been missing almost the entire suite of aerodynamic components on the right side of his car.

Click for larger

Horner himself indicated that internal damage to the coolers housed within the sidepod would have been a race-ending factor.

"The temperatures were off the scale and they had to straighten pipes and fix the right side as much as possible in very limited time," he explained.

This scenario raises further questions about the state of his engine.

Although were no concerns immediately after the race, it is not impossible that the crash could have longer-term implications on the state of his power unit, which had been fitted fresh on race morning after Honda discovered a crack in the unit salvaged from his British Grand Prix wreck.

Red Bull's focus on repairing the cooler and pipework had a big impact on how much of the bodywork could be fixed too, with only the sidepod bodywork replaced, as it had been punctured during the accident.

The splitter and floor could only be simply secured, tidied up and their edges taped.

The remaining bargeboard and sidepod deflector elements were trimmed back, so that they didn't disintegrate and create more debris.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-i ... r/6641449/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

what if not a single driver had lined up to take the standing (re-)start on Sunday?

Autosport.com wrote:"Once the last car was in pitlane, the start signal would have been initiated," he explained.

"Then once that went off, the green light at pit exit would have come on and it would have been the order from pitlane exit."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago what if not a single driver had lined up to take the standing (re-)start on Sunday?

Autosport.com wrote:"Once the last car was in pitlane, the start signal would have been initiated," he explained.

"Then once that went off, the green light at pit exit would have come on and it would have been the order from pitlane exit."
Michael Masi said the five lights would have gone out as usual. The drivers in the pitlane would know the race had started because the pit exit light would have changed from red to green.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Definitely a crazy amount of damage on Max's car. Amazing that he was still able to score a point with it.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Max is behind just as the circuits which have favoured Mercedes in the past are up next :/
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago Max is behind just as the circuits which have favoured Mercedes in the past are up next :/
Well, the real question is what is going on with power. Red Bull is claiming that Mercedes suddenly found more power. Mercedes is claiming oddly enough that Red Bull lost power. I have not really figured out what is going on.

But if Mercedes goes into the next races with a power advantage...
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Red Bull will have to go all out on tracks that favour them, like Suzuka and Singapore.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Antonov wrote: 2 years ago what if not a single driver had lined up to take the standing (re-)start on Sunday?

Michael Masi said the five lights would have gone out as usual. The drivers in the pitlane would know the race had started because the pit exit light would have changed from red to green.

They’ll probably introduce a rule about pit lane being shut until the end of the first lap on start/restarts to avoid that in the future, F1 looked a bit silly with just one car on the grid tbh.
Antonov wrote: 2 years ago Red Bull will have to go all out on tracks that favour them, like Suzuka and Singapore.
ROFL one has already been cancelled, and the other is on the verge of it…
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Ian-S wrote: 2 years ago
They’ll probably introduce a rule about pit lane being shut until the end of the first lap on start/restarts to avoid that in the future, F1 looked a bit silly with just one car on the grid tbh.
Hmm.. not sure. If it started pouring on the formation lap, wouldn't that force everyone to race on dry tires? F1 would look plenty silly then..
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I do enjoy the silly moments, I'd leave it as it is. Better yet get rid of the need to declare it a wet race and force everyone on the same tyre.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago I do enjoy the silly moments, I'd leave it as it is. Better yet get rid of the need to declare it a wet race and force everyone on the same tyre.
Yes agreed. We have had instances like Lewis on Sunday, and lets not forget Winkelhock vaulting from last to first on the opening lap of the 2007(?) European race at Nurburgring thanks to him being the only one to start on wets.... the whole field pitted at the end of the first lap for wets leaving him first to cross the line to start the 2nd lap. A record never to be beaten. As I guess Lewis will hold a record for the race with the smallest ever actual numbers on the grid line up and start.

Actually, being pedantic I guess technically Winkelhock would not have been the first to cross the line at the end of lap 1.... that would have been probably Raikkonen in pitlane, who would have actually crossed the S/F line before Winkelhock did.... but he was certainly in the lead by the start of lap 2. :smiley:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Image
I wonder what the impact of that would be on car weight for scrutineering.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
'Gaffa' tape and cable ties are heavier than carbon fibre! :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Oh and Ferrari are pissed because the engine from Leclerc's car was wrecked in the crash and is irreparable. They are not happy with the costs and the fact 1/3 of their season engine allowance is kaput.
“....However, examination of the number 16 SF21 carried out yesterday in Maranello, revealed that on top of this, the engine was irreparably damaged and cannot be used again, following the impact from Lance Stroll’s Aston Martin.

“This is a further blow for Scuderia Ferrari and the Monegasque driver.

“This damage has a financial impact and also racing ramifications, given that over the remaining 12 race weekends this season, it is highly likely the team could be obliged to fit a fourth ICE (internal combustion engine) to Charles’ SF21, thus incurring grid penalties.”
That implies they were on engine #2 so will need to go with #3 for Spa, and 12 races to go.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
IIRC they can replace the bits with same spec parts if they get knocked off during the race for scrutineering purposes
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 2 years ago
Hmm.. not sure. If it started pouring on the formation lap, wouldn't that force everyone to race on dry tires? F1 would look plenty silly then..
You’re expecting Formula One to use common sense and have consistency? Did you not watch Silverstone and Hungary LOL.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.