2021 Max v Lewis Hungry for More Hungarian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Waited until later in the day to comment on this one.

1. Ocon - Well, I was real big fan of this guy's driving back in 2018. I felt he should have replaced Bottas at Mercedes for 2019. Instead he took the year off and when he showed up at Renault in 2020...he didn't look like the same driver. Didn't for most of this season either until they changed chassis for him. Suddenly he looks a whole lot better. Looked a whole lot better today. Suspect he has finally got his "mojo" back. Expect a lot more from him now.

Overall, I have been amazed this season how much these guys are affected by set-up issues, getting used to new cars, mood changes, team environments, etc.

2) - Vettel. Sad end to a decent race. Still, could not pass Ocon with a better car. He did nicely complement Ocon's driving, saying he never put a wheel wrong. Shame he got disqualified, but those are the regulations, and they are there for a reason.

2. Hamilton - actually pretty mediocre race from him. Got held up forever by Gasly. If it was not for that, he would have won. Then he got held up by Alonso with what was a truly entertaining fight. The shocker was the superior speed of the car. Newey said it is because Mercedes has found more power. If Mercedes has found more power, and it is enough to give them at least 0.2 second advantage at Hungaroring.... then what kind of advantage will Mercedes have at the next races? Has Mercedes yet again won the development battle?

3. Sainz - I actually don't remember his drive.

4. Alonso - truly entertaining. Eventually got beat by Hamilton, but a pretty hard and clean fight. He is a true master.

5. Gasly - So is everyone now going to need a junior team to make sure they can take the fastest lap from their main competitors?

6. Yuki - not as entertaining when driving responsibly.

R Bottas - Bone-headed mistake, not that every F1 driver has not made 2 or more similar mistakes in their career. Did manage to take out 5 other cars. I am sure he is going to get more heat than he deserves for this one because of who he took out. Penalty was reasonable.

R Stroll - his mistake looked even worse, but only took out two other cars.

The Hamilton one-car grid start: truly weird. Not sure I blame Hamilton much for this one, it was just a really strange situation.

The Driver Championship: Does Mercedes have the better car now? Have they done so by picking up a few kilowatts, as Newey claims?

Team Championship: starting to sort itself out as I expected (Ferrari over McLaren and Alpine 5th).

Still 11 or 12 races to the season. We have only reached the half-way point.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Which in itself must be a worry for those on their 3rd (of 3) engines. ie both Red Bulls. It means both will be looking at a minimum of one or two engine penalties over the balance of the season.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Which in itself must be a worry for those on their 3rd (of 3) engines. ie both Red Bulls. It means both will be looking at a minimum of one or two engine penalties over the balance of the season.
Does anyone have a full count of the current part situation? I gather they do exist.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago What's the reasoning behind the necessity to provide a certain amount of fuel after a race?
I believe the 1 litre minimum is because the sample gets split into I dont know but lets say 10x 100ml vials and they will all be used for individual but different tests to ensure the fuel meets all the parameters regulated, from octane rating to testing from a number of additives and percentage... level of bio-fuel included, anti friction agents etc etc.
A bit like blood test where they take out 'an armful' of blood, split into a number of little vials and test for all sorts of things. They dont use the same bulk bottle to perform all the tests.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Also the four drivers that wore a T-shirt in support of LGBTQ+ rights during the pre-race WeRaceAsOne observance were also not penalised but reprimanded.
(Under F1’s rule drivers are required to remove any T-shirts and stand for the national anthem in their race overalls.}
However Vettel Sainz, Bottas and Stroll all did the same, and neglected to remove their T-shirts before the anthem.

The stewards noted: “The drivers explained that they forgot to take off the WRAO t-shirt in time during the national anthem because of the onset of rain.”

Get a life, stewards and worry about giving the correct penalties to people like Lewis last race or Bottas this week.
The shirt they got in trouble for wearing.....

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Clearly they didn't get the memo.

We race as one... For one cause.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Also the four drivers that wore a T-shirt in support of LGBTQ+ rights during the pre-race WeRaceAsOne observance were also not penalised but reprimanded.
(Under F1’s rule drivers are required to remove any T-shirts and stand for the national anthem in their race overalls.}
However Vettel Sainz, Bottas and Stroll all did the same, and neglected to remove their T-shirts before the anthem.

The stewards noted: “The drivers explained that they forgot to take off the WRAO t-shirt in time during the national anthem because of the onset of rain.”

Get a life, stewards and worry about giving the correct penalties to people like Lewis last race or Bottas this week.
The shirt they got in trouble for wearing.....

Right, they "forgot"...

And I hope they continue forgetting, especially while F1 continues to go to countries that make laws like Hungary has just made.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago Another piss poor performance by Ricciardo.
He was involved in the T1 crashfest, and was one of only two to continue to the end, but he was apparently carrying significant damage costing 0.8secs/lap, so he had some excuse for being off the pace.
“Front wing was damaged, then the bargeboards, the new ones, were damaged heavily and the floor on the side in front of the rear wheels was damaged as well on the right-hand side,” explained McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl.

“So, huge loss, probably seven/eight tenths a lap, plus obviously the consequences this has done on the stint.”

Ricciardo’s race was therefore compromised early, with Seidl suggesting an alternate strategy would not have changed the result.

An opportunity mid-race to stop for a second time (in racing conditions) presented itself.

Battling George Russell at the time, others such as Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton had taken a second stop before using the tyre advantage to charge forward.

However, Seidl reasons the same approach is unlikely to have netted returns for Ricciardo.

“I don’t think it would have changed anything, we simply didn’t have the pace with all the damage,” Seidl said.

“The car had to hang in there until the end, Daniel tried, but when he was stuck behind George for quite some bit [and] he destroyed his tyres.”

Ricciardo admitted he thought he’d avoided the dramas in the opening corner before his race was turned upside down.

“I was halfway around Turn 1 and I thought I’d escaped the mess,” he admitted.

“I could see one car in front and thought ‘I’m P2! This is amazing!’ and just as I exited the corner, I saw Charles [Leclerc] come into me, but I’d suspected someone went into him, because he caught me really late in the corner.

“There were a few other drivers making mistakes into the first corner and it cost a lot of us a race,” he added.

“Valtteri [Bottas] obviously cost Lando his race and Lance [Stroll] cost me mine.”

With the damage to his car, Ricciardo admitted it was largely a case of holding on and hoping for the best for the remainder of the afternoon.

“There were parts where I could hang on to the cars ahead, but with the car damage we had, and the difficulty overtaking here, it really just limited our race,” he explained.

“In the end, the tyres were gone, and it was just about trying to hang on for dear life, but I couldn’t hang on to the points.

“I tried to hold on to Max, and to be honest I thought I did okay! I don’t know how many laps I held him off, but once he was past, the race was done, which is a shame.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/02/ri ... n-hungary/

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yeah, Dan had a fairly hefty whack in the side from the Stroll-propelled Leclerc. No surprise he was off the pace.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Another "Hamilton masterclass"

Forgetting that had the early incident involved the Williams, Haas and Alfa, he could easily have been beaten by Perez, Verstappen, Bottas, Norris and Leclerc.

When half of the Top 10 are eliminated, I expect Hamilton to be Top 3 at a MINIMUM. It's hardly a masterclass.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

People getting pissy about Vettel wearing a pride shirt while F1 is going racing in de facto Fascist states is just laughable.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aston Martin to appeal Vettel disqualification from Hungarian GP

Aston Martin has officially lodged a Notice of Intention to Appeal Sebastian Vettel’s disqualification from the Hungarian Grand Prix.
The FIA was then able to draw only 0.3 litres of fuel from Car #5, well short of the requisite one litre which is required for a sample.
Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer had noted that there should be another 1.44 litres of fuel in the car, a figure arrived at by subtracting the FIA’s own fuel flow meter figures from the initial fill.

Nevertheless, Car #5 was determined to be in breach of F1 Technical Regulations and thus disqualified.

The vehicle itself has now been impounded, and will be taken to an FIA facility in France.

“The Stewards have received a Notice of Intention of Appeal from Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team (“Aston Martin”) at 22:14 hours on 1st August 2021 against Stewards Decision No 59,” read the official notice of intention to appeal.

“In this context, the FIA Technical Department representatives were asked by the Stewards to seal and impound Car 5 until such time as the Notice of Appeal is received or the FIA International Court of Appeal makes any determinations as relevant.

“In making this determination, Aston Martin hereby declare that the removal of the various components to safely transport Car 5 to the FIA facility in no way compromises the evidence and has no impact upon the matter being appealed.”
Vettel’s fate will also have a material impact on the title race because Lewis Hamilton had provisionally been classified third and Max Verstappen 10th.

Should Seb’s disqualification stand, the net effect at the top of the drivers’ championship is that Hamilton’s lead would grow by two points.

Just a thought.... given their (RP's) calculations are "arrived at by subtracting the FIA’s own fuel flow meter figures from the initial fill", I wonder if by going down this avenue they are not setting themselves up for a breach of fuel flow rules. If the fuel that should be there by the fuel rate, where is it? Either that or they understated their initial fill numbers, again a breach of rules. :whistling:
Frying pan / fire type scenario possible? :dunno:
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 2 years ago People getting pissy about Vettel wearing a pride shirt while F1 is going racing in de facto Fascist states is just laughable.
*chases John with a bonesaw*
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Aston seem pretty hopeful the extra fuel can be extracted, they say the fuel pump failed, so it's stuck in there somewhere
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I've just finished watching the race and what a race!! My goodness, what a race!

I felt desperately sorry for Verstappen, that first lap accident was nothing to do with him but he got caught up in it, as did Leclerc and several others, but poor Max must have been so disappointed to have his car smashed up. Okay so he carried on but it was clear he had damage.

I did laugh when Mercedes let Hamilton carry on and all the others pitted. Seeing him line up on the grid alone for the restart was hilarious. It was obvious what a mistake they'd made but it made for good racing.

Alonso deserves half of that win, he did Ocon a huge favour by keeping Hamilton behind him for as long as he did. That was some awesome driving right there to keep ahead of Hamilton. So huge respect for Nando at this point.

Vettel did his best but there was no denying Ocon a fabulous win. Ocon did everything right, he didn't put a wheel wrong from what I saw and Alpine were on at the piststops for their boys. What a race and what a day for them.

Bless George Russell too, he had terrible luck but he came back to score points and he had an epic drive also.

Those are my thoughts on the race anyway. I did enjoy that one, if only they were all that good!!

Edit: I came straight here, I didn't read anything else, I didn't know Seb had been disqualified, :jaw: I hope that doesn't stick. He drove so well and he deserves his second in my view.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

White six wrote: 2 years ago Aston seem pretty hopeful the extra fuel can be extracted, they say the fuel pump failed, so it's stuck in there somewhere
That would be nice to see. I sort of hate to see a driver get randomly disqualified. I gather Aston Martin is claiming they had 1.44 liters in the car.