The "When the fastest qualifier is not on Pole" 2021 British GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The "When the fastest qualifier is not on Pole" 2021 British GP

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

USUAL WARNINGS: DO YOUR POLE TIPS >>>>> Click here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=17188
(Yes a one lap proper qualifying lap time, and not a 30 minute race time please. The new rules are all there)

OK well the one thing that changes is the entire weekend and format. And those in Aus will be more sleep deprived than ever.... :aggro:
The birth of the new Sprint Qualifying race that seems to have divided opinions.

I dont like the concept but will be taking a suck and see approach. Sliced bread etc.... Or not. I hope I am surprised. Will I watch the qualifying race? Not sure. Its on late.

So lets start with the schedule in local Silverstone times. Work out your local times from there. It is very different. Even my localFoxtel TV guide is confused and last night was just showing "No details available".

They tell me that official qualfying (the proper one lap qualy stuff) starting at 3.00 am (for me) or 6pm in the UK is so that people can watch it after work! Apparently that will attract millions of extra viewers on a Friday.

Ill do the timetable in reverse order to confuse it even more, starting with the main race. (UK Times)

Sunday 18thJULY
The Proper Race
15:00 - 17:00

Saturday 17th JULY
Sprint / Qualifying Race (17 laps or 30 minutes Time Certain)
16:30 - 17:00

Saturday 17th JULY
Practice 2
12:00 - 13:00

Friday 16th JULY
Official (proper) Qualifying (The Q1, Q2, Q3 type)
18:00 - 19:00

Friday 16th JULY
Practice 1
14:30 - 15:30

If that is too confusing there is a daily full programme here: https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2021 ... table.html

I read that after the Qualifying Race there will be a Wreath / Garland chucking event on the podium, (to celebrate the worlds slowest ever pole position time)

To back up F1 we will at least have F2, Best of British - Historic F1 Cars, and W series races.

There will also at various times be Scuderia Ferrari 1st Win 70th Anniversary High Speed Demonstrations.

The Track

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.891km

Race Distance
306.198 km

Lap Record
1:27.097 Max Verstappen (2020)

When was the track built?
Little did those laying the perimeter road to the RAF Silverstone airfield in 1942 know that they were setting down what would become one of the world’s greatest race tracks. But, well, they were! The Silverstone circuit was first used for a proper motor race in 1947 – although sadly, a local sheep lost its life during the proceedings…

When was its first Grand Prix?
Silverstone was the first Grand Prix, hosting the inaugural Formula 1 World Championship round on May 13 1950. Old campaigner Giuseppe Farina, who’d take that year’s title, won the race in his Alfa Romeo 158.

What’s the circuit like?
At the 2018 British Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton compared a flat-out lap around Silverstone to flying a fighter jet, which should tell you all you need to know about the Northamptonshire circuit. Despite numerous layout changes over the years, Silverstone has always maintained its essential character as one of the fastest tracks on the F1 calendar, while historic corners like Maggotts, Becketts and Abbey provide some of the biggest challenges for racing drivers anywhere in the world.

Not bad for a #2 and other famous moments....

If you cant remember last years race......

We had some tyre issues last year so what about this year.....

TYRES

A real potential confusion here for those that havnt been paying attention.

First thing is I guess obvious. Teams wont be starting any races on their tyres used for their fastest Q2 lap. Get that one out of the way right now.

Not only that but the tyres will all be of a new "more robust" construction..... as tested in Austria and now in for the rest of the year.

The teams get one less set of tyres for the weekend. Surprised? Dont be.

Thinking about it we will have less track time than normal weekends. We lose a 60 minute practice session and replace the lost 60 minute P3 with a 30 minute qualifying race.

Anyway for qualifying on Friday there is no choice. Cars will all use soft tyres throughout.

As for Saturday’s Sprint, drivers will have a free choice of starting tyres and no mandatory pit stop – with a free choice of tyres for the start of Sunday’s British Grand Prix.

The hardest three compounds in the Pirelli range will be used: C1 (hards), C2 (mediums) and C3 (softs). Moreover, as impled before they will supply 12 sets of slicks rather than 13, with two sets of C1s, four sets of C2s and six sets of C3s available this weekend. In case of rain, up to six intermediate sets and three wet sets of tyres will be available.

They say they are more robust but the actual compounds are the same as those that gave such problems as we saw at last years British GP (not to be confused with last years Anniversary GP :wink: )

Minimum starting pressures: 25.0 psi (front) | 23.0 psi (rear) Camber limit: -2.75° (front) | -1.5° (rear)

Pirelli's words:
“There are plenty of new things to look forward to during the Silverstone weekend: first and foremost the introduction of Sprint qualifying for the first of three races this year, which will completely alter the dynamic and rhythm of the weekend as well as having an important effect on how the tyres are used,” said Pirelli’s Head of F1 and Car Racing Mario Isola.

“The different ways in which the teams interpret these new regulations and make the most of them is going to be fascinating to watch. We’re also introducing the new construction of rear tyre that was tested successfully in Austria with positive feedback.

“As for Silverstone itself, it remains one of the biggest tests of the year for tyres thanks to all its fast corners, meaning that some degree of tyre management is always essential. Another key factor is of course the British weather, which is famously variable at this time of year.”
Im sure you all have something to say about the race, the novelty of Sprint racing, qualifying that wont end up with a polewinner, etc so, without further ado, discuss away.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I hope the sprint race proves to be a dullfest and the whole idea dies a quick death within the next year or two. I read some Ross Brawn comments that suggest they will ditch it if it won't become a "clear success" but can't take anything for granted if Liberty keeps throwing bones to the mythical "new fans". Teams can easily manipulate the sprint race concept and hopefully they actually will do it!
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

If justice prevails, the Saturday Sprint race will be so wet the qualifying race is cancelled.... and they have to revert to Friday's qualifying times for the grid! :haha: :rofl:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Which reminds me I forgot to mention the weather forecast for the weekend.

Nothing much to be excited about. A bit of sun, a bit of cloud, temperatures in the low to mid 20's, maybe as high as 27C

But hey, its England, its summer, anything is possible.

Full weekend weather forecast for Silverstone here: https://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing ... spx?sday=1
(Link is for Friday but other links there to Saturday and Sunday)

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago If justice prevails, the Saturday Sprint race will be so wet the qualifying race is cancelled.... and they have to revert to Friday's qualifying times for the grid! :haha: :rofl:
Sorry @Everso Biggyballies our weather is going to let you down. No rain in the forecast here, mostly sunny skies with a few clouds at worst. I know, in Britain, it's not what you expect.

I live a bit east of Silverstone, usually you can watch the race and if it starts raining I know we'll be getting rain within the hour. Not this weekend though.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I should be excited about the first F1 race without pit stops in decades, but I'm not - there's still the DRS BS. And the absence of track limits. And the low driving standards, ugly-as-hell cars, driver coaching by intercom... Okay, let's take it one step after the other. I'm not sure I'll be watching live, but I'll make an effort to find a full-length YT video. Zero chance I'll be doing that on Sunday, so there's progress.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MiÑardi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1 + Indycar
Car(s) Currently Owned: Toyota Celica GT

Post by MiÑardi »

I'm not sold on the Sprint race idea at all. Unless somebody qualifies badly or makes a terrible start, it will probably be a 17 lap procession. I don't want to complain about more race time, but I can't see it being interesting. The tyres should easily last 17 laps, so that's another variable gone.

They should have let the Friday qualifying determine the grid for Sunday. Then have a reverse grid for Saturday, with just a few points on offer. At least it would be entertaining.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

"When the fastest qualifier is not a Pole?"
Robert is not amused.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago "When the fastest qualifier is not a Pole?"
Robert is not amused.
I was going to say/add "...and not called Robert" but it was too many letters for a thread title. :wink:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MiÑardi wrote: 2 years ago I'm not sold on the Sprint race idea at all. Unless somebody qualifies badly
And the end result of which would just be a more boring main race, as the slow qualifier will have already made up many of their places.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Well, lets watch and see how it works. If it is a good idea... then we have made an improvement. If it is a bad idea... then it will be ditched.

Most likely it is somewhere between those two points, and then the trade-offs began. It may not be a good idea for the top performing team, as it adds a random negative element to their life. So don't expect a lot of support from Mercedes or Red Bull. On the other hand, the middle of the pack teams might benefit from that randomness, so don't be surprised is someone like McLaren, Alpine or Aston Martin likes it. Certainly the back of the pack teams will have a bias towards liking it. Disorder is their only hope.

But, probably the biggest driver is whether it brings in more fans to the race track on Saturday and more viewers to the TV on Saturday. If it does that, then the financial side of F1 will tend to believe it is a good idea. I suspect that will be the deciding factor.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Well, lets watch and see how it works. If it is a good idea... then we have made an improvement. If it is a bad idea... then it will be ditched.

Most likely it is somewhere between those two points, and then the trade-offs began. It may not be a good idea for the top performing team, as it adds a random negative element to their life. So don't expect a lot of support from Mercedes or Red Bull. On the other hand, the middle of the pack teams might benefit from that randomness, so don't be surprised is someone like McLaren, Alpine or Aston Martin likes it. Certainly the back of the pack teams will have a bias towards liking it. Disorder is their only hope.

But, probably the biggest driver is whether it brings in more fans to the race track on Saturday and more viewers to the TV on Saturday. If it does that, then the financial side of F1 will tend to believe it is a good idea. I suspect that will be the deciding factor.
Yes I think it is more about boosting TV ratings across the weekend than anything. To that end they have openly said that the timing of the one lap traditional type qualy on Friday is to increase Friday viewers, hence the reason for the Friday evening timing (for UK and Europe). Sadly that very same move will drive all the Eastern nations like Aus, NZ, Japan etc away as that session will now start at 3.00AM in Aus.
So roundabouts and swings there. Now our (Aus) only reasonable start time is P2 at 9.00 pm with nothing else starting before midnight. (Apologies, I lie.... P1 will start at 11.30 pm, against the normal 7:30pm)

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Urgh.

Race start is midnight Monday here.

I'm thinking I'll likely just watch a replay.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Urgh.

but imagine you miss out on a crash so spectacular they will never show it again :omg:
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Urgh.

It's the one race of the year I get live. I HATE delayed highlights as I don't like missing out on the things I'd see if I was watching it live. It never feels the same does it? If you can record the live version surely that's better than a replay isn't it? That's what I'd do in your situation.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!