The 2021 Deja-vu Austrian GP from Styria.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The 2021 Deja-vu Austrian GP from Styria.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Not to be confused with the Styrian GP from Austria.

Firstly I have done this on my PC so we should have avoided the missing P factor. I know some of you will be upset, but just remember, there is no P in Mongol.

Formula 1 BWT Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2021 Image

......which takes place over 71 laps of the 4.318-kilometre Red Bull Ring in Spielberg on Sunday, 2nd-4th July.

Yes all very familiar to where we were this time last week.

USUAL REMINDER>>>> GET YOUR BLOODY GTP TIPS IN.
link here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=17166

So, what do we expect?

Well, it seems Mercedes have got caught on the hop.... seemingly cruising at the start of the season they ceased development early, and are now on the back foot thanks to some clever developments from Red Bull. Worse for Mercedes is that last week the latest bits were only on Max's car and this week we anticipate they will be on Sergio's too.

Without going through the updates again (that is all here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 83#p407283 ) but in summary, it seems Max had a new / modified floor and a new diffuser amongst other things..... parts which it seems allow him to run less wing and is the key to their speed increase.... worth 0.25 on the straight alone! (ie the speed is not as Merc initially claimed, from (illegal) engine mods.) So it seems Newey is the one who has been busy more than Honda.

It seems this deficit in reality made the Mercs have to work harder to keep up with Max, which it turn led to increased Merc tyre deg. Max was able to comfortably one stop, the Mercs not so. Bottas did a one stop but it was not comfortable.... even Sergio, without the updates, had to two stop.

With Mercedes having officially stopped developing this car and only optimising what they have are we going to see another Max / RBR walkover, and if Sergio is also update equipped will that be a 1-2 situation? I somehow cant see Mercedes giving up at this stage, and I am sure they are busy at Brackley working other initiatives beyond optimising what they have.

Of course the big difference this weekend is that tyres are softer this weekend so last weeks data may well be irrelevant. Maybe the softer tyres will reduce Mercs problems.... on the other hand maybe they will suit the RB's better. Will it make the race more likely to be a 2 stopper? Questions, questions.

Of course there is always the weather card.... the much promised rain last weekend did not happen and tbh depending on what forecast you look at it goes from rain all week and weekend to rain on Friday but Saturday and Sunday cloudy but with a chance of rain. So take your pick.

Whatever the rain does it does not appear that temperatures will be as high as last weekend.
https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/weeke ... f9b66bf9e8

Of course the ever present danger of there being a Mongol invasion, well probably more chance of that than rain if last weekend is anything to go by.

THE TRACK

The track this weekend..... well oddly enough it hasnt changed.... still half the lap will be with DRS flaps open (all three straights are DRS zones, and the history has not changed much beyond it is now more of a RB honey hole than it was the week before.

Up until last year, the Red Bull Ring has become a happy hunting ground for owners Red Bull, with Max Verstappen triumphing in 2018 and 2019. But when they were expected to triumph at the Austrian double header in 2020 – they didn’t deliver the goods. So what Red Bull can we expect this year? Well we know they got leg 1 in the bag..... And will Mercedes rebound from their defeat in Styria. Or Austria.?

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.318km

Race Distance
306.452 km

Lap Record
1:05.619 Carlos Sainz (2020)

Spielberg
When was the track built?
The fearsome, original Osterreichring was originated in 1969 as a replacement for the Zeltweg airfield circuit. The track known today as the Red Bull Ring was more or less created over the winter of 1995-6, when Hermann Tilke was engaged to turn the Osterreichring into a shorter, more modern race track.

When was its first Grand Prix?
The A1-Ring, as it was then called, was opened in 1996, with Formula 1 arriving at the circuit a year later. Jacques Villeneuve won the race, while Jean Alesi had a spectacular crash when his Benetton climbed up the Ferrari of Eddie Irvine. Alesi’s team mate Gerhard Berger, meanwhile, used his home Grand Prix to announce his F1 retirement.

What’s the circuit like?
It’s only wee, bless it, but the Red Bull Ring packs a lot into a short lap. The first half rewards power, as the cars blast along three straights separated by a pair of uphill right-handers. But then as the drivers work their way downhill, the circuit becomes a regular toboggan ride, as the cars canyon through a series of quick corners, including the exhilarating Rindt right-hander, named for Austria’s first F1 champion.

(The videos are there, you just have to click to watch on youtube)

Heidfeld smashes into Sato, Hamilton and Rosberg come to blows and Ferrari team orders are met with a chorus of boos - the Spielberg track has never been short on drama.

In other news we have a new driver addition for FP1.....

Zhou receives F1 call up with Alpine

Alpine Academy driver Guanyu Zhou will make his Formula 1 race weekend debut at the Austrian Grand Prix.

The Chinese driver will step into the Alpine A521 usually driven by Fernando Alonso for FP1 on Friday.

Zhou is quite well credentialed..... He claimed Top Rookie in his maiden season in the 2019 Formula 2 Championship, securing five podiums that year.

Last year (2020), Zhou recorded his first Formula 2 win in the Sochi Sprint Race.

Zhou currently leads the 2021 Formula 2 series after three rounds with two victories in Bahrain and Monaco and has two further podiums to his name.

He wont be the first ever Chinese born driver to take a seat in an F1 car at a race meeting though.... that honour went to Ma Qinghua who did a few Friday sessions with HRT back in 2012.

TYRES

Well we know they are opting for softer stuff this weekend.

This is what Pirelli have to say....

it’s going to be interesting to see how the teams get to grips with the softest C5 tyres for the second race weekend – and how the new selection influences strategy in order to create different opportunities compared to the preceding Steiermark Grand Prix.”

At the Austrian Grand Prix, held just one weekend later on an identical track, P Zero White hard will be the C3, P Zero Yellow medium will be the C4 and P Zero Red soft will be the C5: the softest combination in the Pirelli range.

These two separate nominations have been made to create a differential between the two races, providing some strategic variation with the introduction of the softest compound for the second weekend.

The Red Bull Ring is a compact and rollercoaster track, with a frantic and quite short lap characterised by one corner after another and several changes in elevation. Despite that, it’s not especially demanding on tyres, which is what makes it possible for the softest tyres in the range to be used.

MIN. STARTING PRESSURES (slicks)................. EOS CAMBER LIMIT
PRESSURE 21.5 psi (front) | 20.0 psi (rear) -3.50° (front) | -1.75° (rear) CAMBER

The short 4.3-kilometre and 10-corner lap means that traffic is often a problem, and this is a factor when it comes to race and especially qualifying strategy. Because of the short and flowing lap, the performance gaps between the compounds tend to be quite small. The majority of corners are right-handers, but the two most demanding corners are actually left-handers: which means that the unloaded tyres go into them relatively cold each time.

The first back-to-back race on the same circuit this year means that teams will have plenty of data and opportunity to maximise the potential of the tyres – especially during the second weekend. As a result, the teams will concentrate especially on the softest C5 tyres when it comes to preparing for the Austrian Grand Prix.

In the past, this has been a one-stop race on paper – apart from the occasions when a safety car has prompted drivers to take a ‘free’ pit stop. This was the case again at the (last weekend) Steiermark Grand Prix, but the softer nomination this weekend could push teams closer to a two-stopper for the Austrian Grand Prix.

So thats about it.

Will DannyRic manage to have a solid weekend or will he continue to have his rollercoaster weekends?

Will George Russell finally get the point for Williams he looked set to get last weekend until he how a PU issue.

Will Tsunoda put two (or is it 3) consecutive decent weekends together?

How many cars will Leclerc run into this weekend?

Will Stroll beat Vettel?
Seb looked to have turned the corner with a podium in Absurdistan and points in France, but then he couldnt keep up with Kimi last weekend.

Will Mazepin spin?

Plus of course more importantly, will I find my missing 'P'?

Again, so many questions.

Oh and if the GP fails to excite, there is always the F3's to watch. They are on this weekend.

Discuss away......

Now back to my laptop and the missing p factor. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

**** NEWS FLASH ***

The FIA has issued an executive order to ban the letter "P" from the weekend's menu in order to aid a longstanding F1 fan with his valued comments on a well known bulletin board. For starters, free practice sessions P1, P2 and P3 are to be cancelled, and to be replaced by qualifying sessions Q1 through Q6. Also, pole position will be known as "first in line" henceforth, Pirelli will only be refered to as "the tyrer supplier", and the Haas team was asked to lay off their driver Mazepin for the time being and replace him with a driver whose name does not contain the offending letter. Sergio Perez, on the other hand, has apparently gotten off the hook by an official intervention of the Mexican Embassy which stated in a recently released communiqué that, quote, Mexicans willfully mispronounce consonants anyway so we give a shite, meaning he will probably compete as Sergio Herez or some such. In addition, Pierre Gasly was asked not to bring any relatives to the circuit, so that there would be no need to refer to him by his christian name. Unconfirmed rumours that a person identified as T. W. in Mercedes F1 team gear had appeared at a Finnish birth register office demanding proof that a certain document did not read "Valtieri Pottas" have been brusquely rejected by both the Finnish authorities and a Mercedes spokesperson. Last, but not least, the official name of the race has been replaced with "Grosser Scheiss von Österrreich".
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago"the tyrer supplier"
This would still be roblematic, I think.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago"the tyrer supplier"
This would still be roblematic, I think.
Not in the Tyrol it wouldnt. :smiley:
Ill get my coat.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Ahh, rats... I thought I'd paid enough attention. :blush: Let's just say, "the Italian tyre manufacturer"... ?

Also, to continue with the news, at a subsequent press :nah: news conference, journalists were asked to avoid the words "pit(s)", "stop" and "lap(s)" which caused some confusion and consternation amongst the members of the Fourth Estate. An FIA spokesperson :nah: communicator suggested the use of words like "box", "halt" and "circuit", "round", "turn", "tour" or "stanza" - "Use your imagination!" was the advice from the FIA officer, at which many of the assembled journalists were observed exchanging nervous and puzzled :nah: confused glances, some of the younger ones immediately resorting to hectic use of their smartphones :nah: mobiles. To be followed up :nah: continued...

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

See. The board is fun again!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago Ahh, rats... I thought I'd paid enough attention. :blush: Let's just say, "the Italian tyre manufacturer"... ?

Also, to continue with the news, at a subsequent press :nah: news conference, journalists were asked to avoid the words "pit(s)", "stop" and "lap(s)" which caused some confusion and consternation amongst the members of the Fourth Estate. An FIA spokesperson :nah: communicator suggested the use of words like "box", "halt" and "circuit", "round", "turn", "tour" or "stanza" - "Use your imagination!" was the advice from the FIA officer, at which many of the assembled journalists were observed exchanging nervous and puzzled :nah: confused glances, some of the younger ones immediately resorting to hectic use of their smartphones :nah: mobiles. To be followed up :nah: continued...
Found jimclarks burner account.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago spokesperson
The correct modern term is talksman.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
I thought gender specific words were out....man. So its a talkserson. (p's are out too)

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

so the tyres are the softest range? C5-C4-C3?
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

John wrote: 2 years ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago Ahh, rats... I thought I'd paid enough attention. :blush: Let's just say, "the Italian tyre manufacturer"... ?

Found jimclarks burner account.
Yeah, I agree it looks stupid, but I couldn't find the strike-through tag, is it gone? Same with some of the old emojis, gone without a trace it seems... :idunno:

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
I thought gender specific words were out....man. So its a talkserson. (p's are out too)
And what about mankind? Will it be personkind in the future?

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
And what about mankind? Will it be personkind in the future?
no, it will be 'ersonkind' :tongue:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago so the tyres are the softest range? C5-C4-C3?
Yes, that is going to make the race more interesting and somewhat different. Last race they all went mostly Mediums to Hards or Soft to Hards. Now.... well it might be worthwhile or even necessary to do two stops. Could get interesting (and weird).

The letter after "l-m-n-o" was not used in this message.
Last edited by Ruslan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

How do the Arabs manage? I seem to remember there is no letter P in arabic?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.