Abu Dhabi Yas Marina circuit changes complete

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago This idea track layouts are the main reason for lack of overtaking is nonsense.
I don't think there's much doubt that the cars are the problem.. it's just a lot easier to remove a chicane than it is to get everyone to redesign their cars.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do the latter also, but why not slap a bandaid on the gash until you can sew it up..?
And it's also easier to change a layout in a place that has zero history, cult status & fan love to begin with. Abu Dhabi is like 12 years on the calendar and I still couldn't recognize it if you showed me its layout. This is right up there with Korea and India whom I have no idea how those tracks look like anymore :haha: Hell, I don't even remember how those tracks were called even.
Abu Dhabi's layout looks like a gun, which is what I'd like to have in my hand every time that race is on.

I remember India is called Buddh and I think Korea was Yeongyam?
Yeah Yeongam, without the second 'Y', so close! Oh and it is South Korea. Korea it seems doesnt exist (in GP terms anyway.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

'Another section of the track will also be reconfigured more subtly. A series of corners which pass beneath the dramatic Yas Viceroy hotel will also be reworked, increasing the tempo at a section of track which punishes the tyres.'

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/22/wil ... r-finales/
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago This idea track layouts are the main reason for lack of overtaking is nonsense.
I don't think there's much doubt that the cars are the problem.. it's just a lot easier to remove a chicane than it is to get everyone to redesign their cars.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do the latter also, but why not slap a bandaid on the gash until you can sew it up..?
And it's also easier to change a layout in a place that has zero history, cult status & fan love to begin with. Abu Dhabi is like 12 years on the calendar and I still couldn't recognize it if you showed me its layout. This is right up there with Korea and India whom I have no idea how those tracks look like anymore :haha: Hell, I don't even remember how those tracks were called even.
We have a website for that ;)

To save you the clicks
Image Image

I'll let you pick the one you think is Korea and which one is India. Not sure how active Buddh is these days, they appear to at least keep the circuits website updated and hold track days. But it always appeared to me the circuit seemed several sizes too big for the market. Korea on the other hand was a hobbled by its location because there are several circuits and series operating in the country. Even at KIC which seems to be doing allright if only running the National or Club circuits.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Apparently the new long left hander after the second drs zone will be banked. It's different, so I like it. It may still suck, but at least it'll be different.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I'm not going to lie, I'll miss the little complex after the second drs zone - I quite enjoyed that from a driving perspective, and if often provided some good overtaking and clashes.

The rest of the circuit can be nuked tho.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Yeah the third sector is awful. That's where the focus needs to be. Like @DoubleFart said, I don't have a problem with the three fast right hand corners in sector 2.

I'd also change the stupid chicane and the hairpin in the first sector (which I understand they will change).
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Image
Better.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
craigchis
Favourite Driver: Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by craigchis »

The whole circuit needs ripping up and starting again in my opinion, it's just not a good track.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

craigchis wrote: 2 years ago The whole circuit needs ripping up and starting again in my opinion, it's just not a good track.
As Tom Walkinshaw once said I think of Zolder (maybe wrong on the venue), nothing that cant be fixed with a (very) fat wallet and a fleet of bulldozers.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

If this is the final layout change I'm gonna laugh soooo hard!

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

New banked corner part of Abu Dhabi F1 track changes

I see images are surfacing with reports it is going to have banked turns as well..... both ends of the track from the pics.

Plus a video re the proposals.

Saif Al Noaimi, acting CEO of the Abu Dhabi F1 promoters, said that the aim of the changes was simply to help improve overtaking opportunities – something which had been lacking in the past.
"We've listened to the spectators and fans, and we've listened to the teams and the drivers," he explained. "We've built these modifications, taking into consideration the feedback that we have received.

"Ultimately, our objective is to create more overtaking opportunities, closer wheel to wheel racing and a faster, free flowing circuit."

Al Noaimi hoped that the banked corner will especially stand out as something special, as he labelled it potentially 'iconic'.

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Overall I like the changes. Removal of a couple of fiddly chicanes, some wider apex, faster, free flowing corners.. plus a banked corner (hopefully it'll be pretty steep to enable cars to go through side by side.. that could make the already pretty fast entry into the next sequence pretty badass).

I'm a little worried that speeding up corners in the last sector will make it even harder for cars to follow each other.. but I'm gonna keep my optimistic hat on for now.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Banked corner means additional tyre wear? I'll give it 15 mins of FP1 until teams start to bitch about the tires again :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Wow. I like it. At least from the perspective that the circuit owners actually care about racing and are willing to do something about it. With Melbourne doing something similar, maybe there is a positive trend happening.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Kai-Star wrote: 2 years ago Wow. I like it. At least from the perspective that the circuit owners actually care about racing and are willing to do something about it. With Melbourne doing something similar, maybe there is a positive trend happening.
A trend of treating the symptoms, not the disease.

Fix the cars.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.