Who's the worst?: James Allen, Jonathan Legard or David Croft

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Kai-Star wrote: 2 years ago Interesting topic. Murray's void is difficult to fill. I think Croft is the better of the bunch, but still annoying at times.
I think Murray was just as - if not even more - partisan than Allen was in terms of loving anything British. And that alone would be rather annoying if that's all there was to him.

However, the difference between Allen or Croft compared to Murray was that Murray was simply enthusiastic about things (so you got caught up in the moment with him), while others who have come since are sensationalist.

So while Murray came across as sincere, others end up coming across like tools. For instance, when James Allen would spruik a grandstand finish (as two cars with zero intention of doing anything, ever, maintain station) and Croft screams if he spots a plastic wrapper blowing in the breeze.

I have no doubt that Allen and Croft both love motorsport. I do too, and I can get excited by it. But bloody hell, it's okay to call a boring race a boring race. That said, maybe Murray had fewer producers in his ear yelling "We're losing viewers! DO SOMETHING!"
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Very well said.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago I have no doubt that Allen and Croft both love motorsport. I do too, and I can get excited by it. But bloody hell, it's okay to call a boring race a boring race. That said, maybe Murray had fewer producers in his ear yelling "We're losing viewers! DO SOMETHING!"
That becomes a problem when the reason for losing viewers is the commentator...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago I have no doubt that Allen and Croft both love motorsport. I do too, and I can get excited by it. But bloody hell, it's okay to call a boring race a boring race. That said, maybe Murray had fewer producers in his ear yelling "We're losing viewers! DO SOMETHING!"
That becomes a problem when the reason for losing viewers is the commentator...
Chicken, egg; egg, chicken.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I actually like Alex Jacques, the new Channel 4 commentator, for me I find him to be better than Ben Edwards was. I didn't much care for James Allen or Jonathan Legard either.

I did love Murray, well who didn't? I also liked it when we had Martin Brundle and David Coulthard together. I really missed Martin Brundle when he went to Sky.

Saying that, in Baku we had Alex Jacques, Mark Webber and Billy Moffat and they did really well together.

They all make mistakes, some are more irritating than others. My daughter laughs when I complain and correct them, but then I wouldn't be able to do their job.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
craigchis
Favourite Driver: Senna

Post by craigchis »

I don't mind Crofty, think him and Martin work well together, almost in a Murray/Hunt way.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 2 years ago
Saying that, in Baku we had Alex Jacques, Mark Webber and Billy Moffat and they did really well together.

They all make mistakes, some are more irritating than others. My daughter laughs when I complain and correct them, but then I wouldn't be able to do their job.
I think you mean Billy Monger, (the kid who lost his legs in an accident at Donington a few years ago). Happy to be corrected as we dont get the Ch4 stuff here, but tweets I have seen have him in them (like at Baku where both Webber and Monger got very excited about Hamilton's restart). I like Billy Monger if only because he seems a nice kid and deserves a break after what he has been through and still faces.
Alex Jaques I wouldn't know from a bar of soap, so cant comment. I presume it is him doing the lead in this clip where Webber screams and Monger slaps his prosthetic legs. :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Legard was the worst. The "up the hill, down the hill" crap takes the cake.

Allen wore out on me over the years. Croft is entering the same area. I won't be mad if he gets replaced anytime soon.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago

I think you mean Billy Monger, (the kid who lost his legs in an accident at Donington a few years ago). Happy to be corrected as we dont get the Ch4 stuff here, but tweets I have seen have him in them (like at Baku where both Webber and Monger got very excited about Hamilton's restart). I like Billy Monger if only because he seems a nice kid and deserves a break after what he has been through and still faces.
Alex Jaques I wouldn't know from a bar of soap, so cant comment. I presume it is him doing the lead in this clip where Webber screams and Monger slaps his prosthetic legs. :haha:

You're right, goodness knows why I put Moffat when I meant Monger :blush: Talk about a brain fade moment. :whistling:

I hadn't heard of Alex Jacques until the started on C4 this year but I quite like him. I haven't found him to be in any way offensive yet. He is the lead commentator and doing a prety decent job of it.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I think Croft commentates well to be fair. I grew up listening to Italian commentary because that’s what was free-to-air in Malta at the time. This was usually a Schumacher/Ferrari centric commentary with constant updates om Schumacher’s pace and the pit guy literally stationed by the Ferrari spokesperson’s side.

I only found out about Murray when I got a PC with internet in 2001.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago I think Croft commentates well to be fair. I grew up listening to Italian commentary because that’s what was free-to-air in Malta at the time. This was usually a Schumacher/Ferrari centric commentary with constant updates om Schumacher’s pace and the pit guy literally stationed by the Ferrari spokesperson’s side.

So is Malta your homeland?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Picci wrote: 2 years ago I think Croft commentates well to be fair. I grew up listening to Italian commentary because that’s what was free-to-air in Malta at the time. This was usually a Schumacher/Ferrari centric commentary with constant updates om Schumacher’s pace and the pit guy literally stationed by the Ferrari spokesperson’s side.

So is Malta your homeland?
Indeed it is! Spent seven years in the UK and got back right before Covid.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

So we had Ben Edwards doing the commentary again yesterday and I was like.... what? :dunno:

Apparently Billy Monger tested positive for covid 19 and that forced Alex Jacques and Steve Jones to self isolate. David Coulthard was there as was Mark Webber, but apparently Ben Edwards was at home in the UK. There's another race this coming weekend, goodness knows who will be there for that.

Full story here: https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/06/ ... ovid-test/

Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

I also like David Coulthard. The only problem was when he was with Martin Brundle, they were kind of doing the same job. Having a yinyang approach to commentary duos always works well.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve