RIP Max Mosley

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

RIP Max Mosley

Post by DoubleFart »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... es-aged-81

Max Moseley has passed at the age of 81.

I didn't like or appreciate him at the time, but as i've gotten older and understood the politics of the sport more, I appreciate his role and efforts far more.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

If there is one president who did a LOT to make F1 safer, it is him.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Wow, that's a shock. Lots of controversy surrounding him in his later life, but did a lot for F1.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

He went to the burial of Roland, while the others went to Senna's funeral.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Without doubt he made F1 better.... and he gave us all a laugh with some of his antics.

RIP Max

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Made getting spanked by a pretend nazi acceptable, I think that's a fair achievement.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago He went to the burial of Roland, while the others went to Senna's funeral.
Certainly.... I thought that was a noble gesture on his part.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I never liked the guy but a death is always sad. I am very sorry for his family and friends.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Thought I might copy the Autosport report on his passing for those that cannot access Autosport.

I learn something I was unaware off until now.... Obviously I was aware of Max having driven in F2 back in the day, but I was not aware (or had forgotten) Max was running at Hockenheim the day Jim Clark died.

I was also unaware it was Max who was responsible for the introduction of the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) road car crash test standards which has become something of a world standar in car safety (It is certainly widely quoted in all our car reviews as to how a new car performed in the tests).

Former FIA president Max Mosley dies aged 81
By: Jonathan Noble
May 25, 2021, 12:17 AM
Former FIA president Max Mosley, who was once the most powerful man in motor racing, has died aged 81.

Former FIA president Max Mosley dies aged 81
The Briton was FIA president from 1993 to 2009, having previously carved out a successful career as a barrister, amateur racing driver and founder and co-owner of March Engineering.

Mosley was born in 1940, the son of fascist politician Sir Oswald Mosley and Lady Diana Mosley, who was one of the famous Mitford sisters.

After training as a lawyer, Mosley was an amateur racer in sportscars and later Formula 2, famously competing in the 1968 Hockenheim race where Jim Clark lost his life.

He retired from driving in 1969 to co-found March Engineering, which went on to become one of the world’s most famous manufacturers of racing cars.

During this period he became a legal advisor to the Formula One Constructors’ Association (FOCA), and helped frame the original Concorde Agreement which governed F1 for decades.

In 1986, he was elected as president of the FISA’s Manufacturers’ Commission, and then became FISA president in 1991.

As part of a restructuring of motor racing's governing body, with the FIA taking control of automobiles and racing, he was elected as president of the FIA in 1993 after Jean-Marie Balestre stood down.

Mosley began a major push for improved safety standards in road cars, and faced a similar crusade in F1 following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

Bernie and Max 1994

On the roads, he drove forward strengthened crash test standards and was instrumental in promoting the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) that has now become a standard.

In F1, he led changes to make the cars safer – both through reduced performance, improved crash tests and also devices like HANS.

But his tenure at the FIA, having been re-elected in 1997, 2001 and 2005, was not without its controversy.

He was a close ally of Bernie Ecclestone and the pair formed a strong alliance in frequent battles with manufacturers and teams for control of F1.

Mosley was heavily involved in the decision to push ahead with the farcical 2005 United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis, even though all the Michelin runners had to pull out of the event before the start.

There was also the famous McLaren spy scandal in 2007, where Mosley took a hardline stance against the team for its involvement in the affair.

Mosley’s tenure at the FIA ended soon after he was the subject of a tabloid expose in 2008 by the News of the World relating to his sex life.

While Mosley took the newspaper to court and won a court case that it had breached his privacy, and also won a vote of confidence from the FIA in the wake of the controversy, he eventually elected not to stand for re-election in 2009.

Mosley was recently the subject of a new film documentary about his life, which is due for release soon.

Speaking about the project last year, Mosley said: “It’s got everything in it, including the News of the World and what’s happened since. Bernie’s interview is interesting, because they go into the whole thing of 'whose side was he on when the story came out?'

“Someone asked, 'does it include Hitler being a guest as his parents’ wedding?' The answer is yes it does. It is a warts and all thing, and that probably makes it more interesting to third parties.

“There are one or two elements in it that if I were in charge, I would cut out. But then it would take away the whole point of it – it needs to be independent.”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/forme ... s-aged-81/

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Without doubt, his presidency marked the beginning of the end of the sport I once loved, and for that I will always hate him. However, he once started out as an enthusiast just like us, and I gather his stint at the head of the FIA was rather successful if racing is excluded, so I'll give him that. Also, a family background like that cannot have been easy to live with.

Controversy aside, it's always sad to see someone go. RIP, Mr. Mosley.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Just heard in the news. He did a lot for f1
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Thanks to whoever corrected my typo in the title.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I was not aware that he had been suffering from cancer for some time. Sadly he suffered badly and was in pain for much of his later life..
Bernie Ecclestone confirmed Max's death on Monday afternoon.

He said: “It’s like losing family, like losing a brother, Max and I. “We were like brothers for 50-odd years,”
“I am pleased in a way because he suffered for too long. Better he’s gone than suffer the way he was suffering.”

He did, a lot of good things not just for motorsport, also the (car) industry he was very good in making sure people built cars that were safe.

Assessing what made their partnership work given their different backgrounds, Ecclestone added: "We came from different sorts of upbringings but we just got on well together.

"We trusted each other, which is the most important thing, and we could talk to each other if one of us had an idea or wanted to do something, and not upset each other.

"We ended up doing so many things for F1, and we both did things in different ways.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

One has to say Mosley's discipline fitted very well with Ecclestone's greed.

Never liked Mosley to begin with, coming from a fascist family made his a lost cause for me though the Liberty clowns made him look acceptable by 2021 standards.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 2 years ago Made getting spanked by a pretend nazi acceptable, I think that's a fair achievement.
The Duke of Sussex hails him as a trailblazer.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion