Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

So, how much is George Russell being paid?

Also, how many years is Bottas's (age 32) multi-year deal?
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years agoAlso, how many years is Bottas's (age 32) multi-year deal?
Apparently it's three years.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years agoAlso, how many years is Bottas's (age 32) multi-year deal?
Apparently it's three years.
Thanks. Good for him. Provides the driver and the team with some stability. I am guessing he will leave F1 at the end of that stint.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Busy day on the driver market.....

Albon to Williams. (yet to be confirmed but going to happen)

I am reading now that Red Bull have (temporarily) released Albon from his contract and he is headed to replace Russell at Williams. Nothing confirmed but announcements to this effect are expected soon.

There are also a number of junior drivers no in a bit of a bidding war to get what few seats are unconfirmed. It seems Latifi and Mazepin are not safe in their seats. Zhou and De Vries are apparently looking good to be in F1 next year

Recommend you read this.... its fairly complicated and lots of names!
https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/07/the ... -f1-seats/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I understand why it's become a money thing, but it's a real shame that F1 is not about the best drivers anymore, it's who has the deepest pockets. I know money makes the world go round and F1 is expensive etc. but it cheapens the sport when you get some rich family or business putting their driver in a seat ahead of someone who has bucket loads of talents. How many more George Russells are out there but won't get a sniff of a drive because the backing money isn't there to buy them a chance? Instead we end up with drivers like Mazepin who wouldn't even get a look at a drive if he didn't pay for his seat.

For me, that's a crying shame.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Something tells me George Russell won't beat his new teammate in qualifying 3647325 times in a row anymore :haha: Excuses are finally over for him.
I agree that Russell will for the first time have a serious team mate.. but I don't think you could say excuses are over for him. Did he ever really have many excuses..? Did he ever really need them, with piss poor team mates like the ones he's had?
Well, the whole "he is cursed", "has only bad luck" excuses will be over. He's into the best car on the grid. Even Bottas won 9 races with that team and was often capable of beating Hamilton in qualifying. If Russell won't be able to outpace Perez in the other Red Bull what will be the excuses this time?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Yes, Bottas managed 17 poles in 92 races in a Mercedes. 9 victories in 4,5 seasons. An average of 2 per season.
Russell won't be immediately at the same pace as Hamilton, but don't overestimate Hamilton. 4 victories this season. Max has 6. And then i don't count Spa. He is now outpaced by Max. For Lewis the car was everything in the era 2014-2020. Now he has not the best car anymore.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Something tells me George Russell won't beat his new teammate in qualifying 3647325 times in a row anymore :haha: Excuses are finally over for him.
I agree that Russell will for the first time have a serious team mate.. but I don't think you could say excuses are over for him. Did he ever really have many excuses..? Did he ever really need them, with piss poor team mates like the ones he's had?
Well, the whole "he is cursed", "has only bad luck" excuses will be over. He's into the best car on the grid. Even Bottas won 9 races with that team and was often capable of beating Hamilton in qualifying. If Russell won't be able to outpace Perez in the other Red Bull what will be the excuses this time?
There will be plenty of excuses next year should he fail.. probably more than ever:

He'll be brand new in his team whereas his team mate will have been there a decade.
He'll be second to get the updates.
He'll get second pick on strategy.
His team mate is a seven or eight time world champ, so even losing to him regularly won't be a complete disgrace.
Even if he's beaten by Perez.. by 2022 the Merc might not be the best car anymore. The Red Bull could well be faster.

George is quick, and based on him beating Bottas at Sakhir in his first ever time in a Merc, he'll do an even better job of keeping Lewis honest. I personally hope that he wipes the floor with him. Lewis blames the new regs, but his ego never recovers and he skulks away from the sport after Max wins his third championship in 2023 with George hot on his heels in second. Sergio is replaced with Lando and Charles takes Lewis' place at Mercedes. *Drools*
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Busy day on the driver market.....

Albon to Williams. (yet to be confirmed but going to happen)

I am reading now that Red Bull have (temporarily) released Albon from his contract and he is headed to replace Russell at Williams. Nothing confirmed but announcements to this effect are expected soon.

There are also a number of junior drivers no in a bit of a bidding war to get what few seats are unconfirmed. It seems Latifi and Mazepin are not safe in their seats. Zhou and De Vries are apparently looking good to be in F1 next year

Recommend you read this.... its fairly complicated and lots of names!
https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/07/the ... -f1-seats/
Lots of good news here. I really do think Albon deserves a second chance. Glad he got (maybe) the ride at Williams.

Zhao and De Vries coming would be good. While Zhao has financial backing, I do think he is a real driver.

The disappearance of Latifi and Mazepin would be good for the sport. They are both equally embarrassing.

So who gets Giovanazzi’s seat?
Last edited by Ruslan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago

So who gets Giovanazzi’s seat?
I seemed to think de Vries was favourite for that..... but he is a Mercedes Junior so I dont see how that works tbh, although I have even heard of people talking of a Sauber (Alfa) Mercedes tie up. But I have been ignoring that thought as it seems a bit far fetched.

Apparently Ferrari no longer have any say over who drives at Alfa, and that was always Gio's link. Something to do with Ferrari no longer officially own Alfa... Alfa, along with Maserati and other brands are now under the Stellantis structure, who are a combination of Fiat Chrysler and the French PSA, Ferrari being a standalone now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellantis

At the end of the say it seems to be a grab for the chairs when the music stops.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Andrew Benson has just announced on twitter that Williams have announced Alex Albon will be driving for them next year alongside Latifi.

It's breaking news so no link to a story as yet, sorry.

So it's all eyes on the other Alfa seat now.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago Andrew Benson has just announced on twitter that Williams have announced Alex Albon will be driving for them next year alongside Latifi.

It's breaking news so no link to a story as yet, sorry.

So it's all eyes on the other Alfa seat now.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... 2/6662623/

All the huff and puff of Toto demanding RBR would basically have to fire Albon for him to allow him to drive for a Merc powered team seems to have fizzled out..... yes he has been released by RBR for the duration of his Williams stay, but retains links with Alex and RBR have first option on him after Williams.

Jost Capito, Williams CEO.....
“It is fantastic to be able to confirm our driver line-up for 2022 and I am delighted to be welcoming Alex to the team, along with confirming our continued relationship with Nicholas into next year,” said Williams CEO Jost Capito.

“We are extremely excited by our new line-up, with both drivers bringing a great blend of youth and experience that will not only be a great fit for the team but also help us take the next step in our journey.

“Alex is one of the most exciting young talents in motorsport, yet comes with a large amount of F1 experience from his time at Red Bull. His multiple podium finishes highlight his speed as a driver, and we know he will immediately feel at home with the team at Grove.

“Nicholas meanwhile has consistently impressed us over the past three years with his hard work, diligence, and positive attitude. He has continued to develop throughout his time at Williams and has grown into an impressive F1 driver, as seen by his points scoring finishes this season.

“We are now looking forward to continuing to build on our positive momentum as a team and finishing this season as strongly as possible, before turning our attentions to 2022.”

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

So the only seat remaining is Giovanazzi's?
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago So the only seat remaining is Giovanazzi's?
Seems so, all those drivers vying for one seat...... who will win it?

Answers on a postcard please.... :haha:

Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Star wrote: 2 years agoSeems so, all those drivers vying for one seat...... who will win it?
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

So, just to summarise:

George Russell ---> Mercedes
Valtteri Bottas ---> Alfa Romeo
Alex Albon ---> Williams
Kimi Raikkonen ---> Ice cream every day

That sounds like a pretty good line-up to me! I'm sad to see Kimi go though, even though we all know he is long past his best.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records