Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 2 years ago Weren't they relaunching Mr potato head? Deal to be done with Mattel.
Bobby Rahal has exclusive rights for life.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Interestingly Jost Capito, Team Principal at Williams in an interview over last weekend, casually dropped in the fact that Nico Hulkenberg is available next year.....

To put it in context he had said Williams have a list of options, and backed up his comment on Nico with the implication that the list is open ..... “I think at the moment we do not exclude any driver who would be available for next year. Nico is available for next year,” said Capito.

It is true that there are multiple drivers in consideration and this does not mean Hulkenberg is at the top of the list. Should Russell move to Mercedes, Valtteri Bottas, could prove to be the strongest candidate for a team that is in the process of rebuilding. Of course Bottas has also been linked to Alfa....

Alpine reserve Daniil Kvyat is also understood to be a contender and on the list, given the need for Williams to have an experienced driver should it need to replace Russell as its de facto leader. I would take Nico over Kvyat any day. Nico is less erratic for starters.

My understanding is that Nico is contracted this year as a reserve for Aston Martin, the team in its former guise he subbed both drivers last year due to Covid. That is only for 2021 though. Hence the Nico will be available for 2022 comment by Capito.

Apparently Toto has indicated the Merc line up for next year will be known by Spa..... that is basically one month away, and fits in with the Toto deadline of decision being made over the break (4 weeks between Hungary and Spa.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I think that his message about "prioritising Nicky" on the weekend was screaming "he's probably only got one shot at points, I've signed for Merc so it doesn't matter today for me"
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Bear in mind this is Silly Season, and pinches of salt might be required in quantity..... but it is the latest rumour circulating. It seems suggested by JV on the basis of inside knowledge.

Stroll to Mercedes as a Pay driver, Russell to Aston.....

Wolff is a friend and business partner of Lawrence Stroll, owner of the Aston Martin team, where his son Lance forms half of the lineup alongside Sebastian Vettel.

So, Villeneuve suggests that Stroll could use that connection to land his son a Mercedes seat, while then offering Bottas a place at Aston Martin.

Wolff has said before that should he replace Bottas, then it would be his responsibility to ensure that he secured a great future for the nine-time race winner.

For JV "he [Bottas] could move to Aston Martin in place of Lance Stroll, who would go to Mercedes,” said Villeneuve in an interview with Italian publication Libero Quotidiano.

“Stroll senior’s dream, very close to Toto Wolff, is to see his son winning Championships. And Toto needs a place for Valtteri.

“For sure Hamilton doesn’t like Russell as a team-mate. Better someone like Bottas, who doesn’t bother him.”

So is this JV doing a JV or is there / could there be any mileage in this one?

Personally I don't think Toto, regardless of how tight his friendship with Lawrence Stroll is, would consider it. Too much at stake. I understand his thoughts of not upsetting Lewis by having a strong #2, which goes against Russell and Stroll would present to problems for Lewis, but Toto's has to think hard now about the constructors, the 'bread and butter title[ that pays the bills.... With RBR now having a strong two car lineup they have shown they can take the WCC with relative ease. Well, when Mercedes dont do what they have done the last two races they can.

I think Toto has to look beyond Lewis to the future. And it aint Stroll. Its George or maybe Lando. But Lando I see as a Lewis replacement given that Max is happy being the golden boy at RBR Lando and George could be a great future line up for the post Lewis Mercedes.

But short term surely it has to be George and not Strollolol with Lewis.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

That would only be possible if Merc was pulling out and they needed the money.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago That would only be possible if Merc was pulling out and they needed the money.
Yes I think this is a case of "Bubbles in the Bath", by Wynne D. Bottom.... :dunno: :wink:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

If that came true, two things would happen.

1 Hamilton would finally lose his luck, and Stroll would sneak the title.

2 I'd stop watching F1 because after 25 years, a billionaire would have ruined it.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago If that came true, two things would happen.

1 Hamilton would finally lose his luck, and Stroll would sneak the title.

2 I'd stop watching F1 because after 25 years, a billionaire would have ruined it.
That would be quite ironic.... made and slayed by billionaires

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Perez will know his F1 future by Spa.....

Sergio Perez expects to know what his Formula 1 future is by the time the sport reaches Belgium at the end of the month.

His rivals for the seat include Albon and Pierre Gasly, although he is well established as team-leader at AlphaTauri. Albon, well I cant see he has done much to improve his case. I guess there are always other options in the world of musical chairs and dominoes, but realistically Perez has been a more valuable and dependable #2 to others in the RBR#2 position of recent years. After all, they were before the disaster of Britain and Hungary, a race clear at the top of the WCC. He has won a race and popped up on the podium regularly which is far and above what others have done.

Sergio's take on it:
“Obviously, the sooner you know your future, the better,” Perez said.

“But I’m in a very comfortable position within the team, within my future, so nothing to worry about.

“I think by Belgium, I will know my future. So I’m comfortable with how things are and no reason to look elsewhere.”
I guess in F1 though its never sorted until you have a contract. And as Sergio knows even that is not always a guarantee.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Despite his win, Perez has generally been a disappointment for me this season.

Biggest disappointment by far is Daniel Ricciardo, but I assume he is on a multi-year contract and thus expected to continue at McLaren?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago
Biggest disappointment by far is Daniel Ricciardo, but I assume he is on a multi-year contract and thus expected to continue at McLaren?
Yes Yes and Yes.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I wonder if the Mercedes "We'll decide over summer break" coincides with this announcement, and the play off is actually Russell v Perez.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Antonov wrote: 2 years ago Despite his win, Perez has generally been a disappointment for me this season.

Well, the year ain't over. For whatever reasons, they have had problems getting to term with their cars and matching their teammates. I don't think Norris is really that much better than Ricciardo (if he is better) and I don't think Perez is that much slower than Verstappen (remember when Ricciardo used to outqualify him in the same car).

So yea....it has been a weird season for both of them.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if the Mercedes "We'll decide over summer break" coincides with this announcement, and the play off is actually Russell v Perez.
If Mercedes are looking to the future, both Sergio and Bottas are the same age (31) whereas George is 23. Knocking George back at this stage I would think renders them likely to lose George to another team. Its one thing to be kept in the wings in waiting as he has, but very different to being overlooked in favour of another driver ie Sergio.

personally I think if Bottas is out of Merc it will be for George. Sergio I believe will stay where he is ar RB.
I reckon with George in and then when Lewis decides to bail in a couple of years Merc with give Lando an offer he cant refuse. Lando and George could be a great long term pairing to have for the future

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if the Mercedes "We'll decide over summer break" coincides with this announcement, and the play off is actually Russell v Perez.
If Mercedes are looking to the future, both Sergio and Bottas are the same age (31) whereas George is 23. Knocking George back at this stage I would think renders them likely to lose George to another team. Its one thing to be kept in the wings in waiting as he has, but very different to being overlooked in favour of another driver ie Sergio.

personally I think if Bottas is out of Merc it will be for George. Sergio I believe will stay where he is ar RB.
I reckon with George in and then when Lewis decides to bail in a couple of years Merc with give Lando an offer he cant refuse. Lando and George could be a great long term pairing to have for the future
I wasn't clear, I meant that I wonder if the Red Bull second driver is between Russell and Perez. I think Max would accept a strong teammate because he's very confident in how good he is, and knows he's better off beating Russell from within.