Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Kai-Star wrote: 1 year ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago As an aside I also looked at living in Perth! Monte, have you seen the prices of Beach property in Perth? :omg:
Yep. You can get beachfront or beachside for under a million, and be under an hour away from the airport!

If only the Margaret River region had more beachside towns. It looks incredible around there. Haven't been before, but might go next year (or NZ south island - we'll see).
I've looked up the NZ South Island before. Pricey too. At least near Queenstown and Christchurch. Price goes down other places. Would never recommend Invercargill though.
I used to spend 1 week in 6 in NZ for work, mostly North Island but South Island a couple of times a year. It is very pretty and I liked Christchurch (it was pre Earthquake though, no idea what its like now).... but Invercargill, other than some nice Art Deco buildings is bloody freezing and way out of my comfort zones. I do remember visiting a good old car bike and truck museum there though. Interesting toilets there as well.
Too close to the Antarctic for me though! :cold:

Which is all getting a bit off topic of F1 Silly Season.... :blush:
Yeah I visited that museum too. The botanic gardens park was very nice. I was there on the weekend and nothing much was open and it was incredibly lifeless. That along with the feeling that this place would be dark and miserable in winter made me think it really was the ass-end of NZ.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Nice itinerary. Enjoy.

Have we got a travelling page? Probably should start one. I spent about 10 years travelling, pre-kids, wife. house, mortgage, etc.
We have a holiday thread :idunno:..... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13093

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Nice itinerary. Enjoy.

Have we got a travelling page? Probably should start one. I spent about 10 years travelling, pre-kids, wife. house, mortgage, etc.
We have a holiday thread :idunno:..... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13093
Cheers. I couldn't bother to go looking. I usually only spend about 5 minutes here a couple of times a week and pretty much just to discuss F1 with like-minded people.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Confirmed:
Piere Gasly @ Alpha Tauri in 2023.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago
So who is getting the heave ho, Alonso or Ocon? I assume that means he'll be racing at Alpine.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Piastri probably ends up at Williams replacing Latifi.

https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp ... b458f.html

'Marca' - one of the biggest sport newspapers in Spain indicates Latifi would have been ditched mid-season already but Williams doesn't have the money to pay out for early breach so they have to ride it out until the end of the season.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I also read Jost Capito (TP) said Williams under Dorilton no longer needed a pay driver, thanks to the increased investment from Dorilton, allied to F1’s cost cap and new structure for commercial rights income, has left the team is a much better financial situation.
It seems also the only reason that Latifi is still there (I think this relates to the rumours of Latifi out / Oscar in for Silverstone) was the cost of exiting / breaching the arrangement with Latifi and the Sofina sponsorship contract (Sofina being one of Daddy Latifi's businesses). But that contract is up at the end of the season.
Williams team principal Jost Capito says that the Grove-based squad is in a luxury situation of being able to choose who it wants for next year – rather than having to worry specifically about income.

“I think we at Williams, we are in the position that we solely decide on the drivers,” explained Capito. “We are not dependent like in the past on somebody, a driver who brings money.

“We have a long-term plan to get back to the top, and we have to choose the drivers that fit into that plan. We are just thinking about this. Of course everybody can talk to us, but the decision is with us.”
It is worth remembering that Michael Latifi is far more invested in McLaren than he ever has been at Williams.... back in his sons F2 days Michael invested £200 million (Pounds, not Euros or US Dollars) in buying a chunk of McLaren. Dont panic, Latifi wont be going there with any clout. That much is written into a contract between McLaren and Nidala (the Latifi holding company that actualyl invested the money)....
....when asked if the shareholding deal has any ties to a possible future for Michael Latifi's racing driver son Nicholas with the team, and a McLaren spokesperson stated this is not the case: "There is no connection between Michael Latifi's investment in McLaren and Nicholas Latifi's racing career. This was a primary stipulation of the deal from both Michael Latifi and McLaren in equal measure."
So it seems Latifi's days at Williams are numbered. :fingers: However lets not get too carried away. A deal isnt signed yet and Williams say they have a couple of options. (Merc Junior) Nick de Vries being one.... Nick has already done an FP1 with Williams in. Spain and greatly impressed.). That maybe with benefits from Mercedes in the same sort of way George Russell was there. I guess Alpine are also prepared to throw a few quid William's way, and obviously pay Oscar's retainer.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Copied this from another thread because its is more relevant here.....
Vassago wrote: 1 year ago Two days later and Piastri knows something :whistling:

Of course it could be he just fills in during a practice session? :nah:

Either way...

*make it happen noises*
Just a bit of an update on the Oscar to F1 goss.... plus the latest on his I'll be driving at Silverstone soon tweet above. We all thought it might be in FP1 at Silverstone for Alpine. Not going to happen. Not at Silverstone anyway. From those that decide....

Alpine team boss Otmar Szafnauer would only confirm that Piastri's FP1 debut is coming "soon" but that it won't be at the British GP, where the team is introducing another update package. Updates obviously mean the regular drivers need to give feedback and hone them. Fully understand that logic.

"We can tell you it won't be Silverstone," said Szafnauer when asked about Piastri. "But it's not far off. The answer is we plan to put him in the car. It won't be that far off, but we haven't announced it yet."

I reckon we will see Oscar in an Alpine for FP1 in France.

Given that it wont be Austria..... that is a sprint race and thus the race drivers head straight into qualifying in the afternoon, so a debut for Piastri at Alpine's home track is a logical choice.

But getting back to his saying he will would be driving at Silverstone..... well, it did happen. .A key part of his learning process as Alpine reserve comes private running at a variety of tracks with last year's A521, and he ran in that recently at Silverstone. (They are allowed to run rookies in last years cars now..... it used to be three or four year old cars but has changed to last years cars seeing as this year they are so different.

As for Williams I dont think that Oscar will drive for them at Silverstone. They have already got one of their mandatory rookie days done with De Vries and given the rumours of late with Latifi, not to mention Silverstone is a likely place for updates to happen after all the Monaco and back to back stuff.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Red Bull confirms Kiwi Liam Lawson to replace Vips as RB Reserve driver.

As we have known for a few days now, Vips's contract as Red Bull reserve and test driver was terminated prior to the British Grand Prix after he allegedly made a racial slur while playing an online game.

Red Bull have now promoted New Zealander Liam Lawson to the role, Liam having scored two wins and seven podiums in Formula 2, in which he currently races for Carlin. Lawson will also fulfil reserve duties for AlphaTauri.

We will claim him as an Aussie in due course. :wink:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago We will claim him as an Aussie in due course. :wink:
Winning the Australian F4 title grants automatic citizenship, I'm pretty sure :P.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago We will claim him as an Aussie in due course. :wink:
Winning the Australian F4 title grants automatic citizenship, I'm pretty sure :P.
Very good point. Citizenship granted. He is ours.