Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 1 year ago Gasly must be devastated. Sergio will not play a ball, contract or not. He wants equal status with Max, and he might get it, altho Monaco is a special case, and I am hesitant to project Checo's might for other (speed) circuits.
Doubt gasly ever thought he'd go back to RB tbh. He'll go to Renault sooner or later
If Seb decide to quit, Gasly has to be considered by AM. Should Audi purchase AM (which is highly doubtful, but not impossible), they want two German drivers in their team. That aspiration itself is not a problem. MB should have done it long time ago instead taking on only British drivers, just as Andretti wants Americans in his team, so it's not strange, but it might leave a lot of other drivers in cold, including Gasly.
Pierre could probably get in initially on short term contract, since it may take a few years before German drivers will be ready to compete. I am however getting ahead of myself. He is a good driver, and at the end he might drop out and be forgotten as many others have before him.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 1 year ago Gasly must be devastated. Sergio will not play a ball, contract or not. He wants equal status with Max, and he might get it, altho Monaco is a special case, and I am hesitant to project Checo's might for other (speed) circuits.
Doubt gasly ever thought he'd go back to RB tbh. He'll go to Renault sooner or later
If Seb decide to quit, Gasly has to be considered by AM. Should Audi purchase AM (which is highly doubtful, but not impossible), they want two German drivers in their team. That aspiration itself is not a problem. MB should have done it long time ago instead taking on only British drivers, just as Andretti wants Americans in his team, so it's not strange, but it might leave a lot of other drivers in cold, including Gasly.
Pierre could probably get in initially on short term contract, since it may take a few years before German drivers will be ready to compete. I am however getting ahead of myself. He is a good driver, and at the end he might drop out and be forgotten as many others have before him.
They tried that ..... Schumacher and Rosberg, both German. Schumacher was a liability on his return, so the German driver ideology failed. Rosberg was with them until end 2016 and did 136 races for them. So they have had at least one German in the team for well over half the races of their modern (excluding 1954,55) F1 journey.

They have had 2 British drivers for just 7 races. :wink:

Not to mention that there is only one German driver of note in F1 now, and with all respects he is near the end of his career.

Just sayin..... :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Mick may not be that good, but it's a bit harsh to say he's near the end of his career.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Mick may not be that good, but it's a bit harsh to say he's near the end of his career.
Probably accurate ☺️
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago As an aside I also looked at living in Perth! Monte, have you seen the prices of Beach property in Perth? :omg:
Yep. You can get beachfront or beachside for under a million, and be under an hour away from the airport!

If only the Margaret River region had more beachside towns. It looks incredible around there. Haven't been before, but might go next year (or NZ south island - we'll see).
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 1 year ago That place could be probably good for retirement.
We're considering it!

It's our back-up plan if the east coast beach towns are too pricey still when the time comes.
Yeah, the place is relatively big. (1 Mill+ dwellers or thereabout?). Not bad at all. For me it's too late to move now, but a few years back...I think I've slept on the switch. Not sure about future of local industry (mining, etc). You have to hope it will not turn into a ghost town.
The mining is mainly iron ore. So that won't go away. Otherwise a lot of minerals (lithium, nickel, etc). All the stuff society isn't going to dump for a long time yet.

Eastern Australia is a lot more about thermal coal and gas.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago As an aside I also looked at living in Perth! Monte, have you seen the prices of Beach property in Perth? :omg:
Yep. You can get beachfront or beachside for under a million, and be under an hour away from the airport!

If only the Margaret River region had more beachside towns. It looks incredible around there. Haven't been before, but might go next year (or NZ south island - we'll see).
I've looked up the NZ South Island before. Pricey too. At least near Queenstown and Christchurch. Price goes down other places. Would never recommend Invercargill though.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Kai-Star wrote: 1 year ago

I've looked up the NZ South Island before. Pricey too. At least near Queenstown and Christchurch. Price goes down other places. Would never recommend Invercargill though.
I used to spend 1 week in 6 in NZ for work, mostly North Island but South Island a couple of times a year. It is very pretty and I liked Christchurch (it was pre Earthquake though, no idea what its like now).... but Invercargill, other than some nice Art Deco buildings is bloody freezing and way out of my comfort zones. I do remember visiting a good old car bike and truck museum there though. Interesting toilets there as well.
Too close to the Antarctic for me though! :cold:

Which is all getting a bit off topic of F1 Silly Season.... :blush:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
They tried that ..... Schumacher and Rosberg, both German. Schumacher was a liability on his return, so the German driver ideology failed. Rosberg was with them until end 2016 and did 136 races for them. So they have had at least one German in the team for well over half the races of their modern (excluding 1954,55) F1 journey.

They have had 2 British drivers for just 7 races. :wink:

Not to mention that there is only one German driver of note in F1 now, and with all respects he is near the end of his career.

Just sayin..... :wink:
Yes EB, you are correct. I almost forgot about it, since that era is associated with MB's development - march to the front. Brawn actually credited Schumacher for his contribution (inherited by Hamilton), but after 2014 with major spec change, MB has not really supported development of German drivers. Rosberg is a special case. He has a German passport on mother's side, but he is Finnish through and through, living mostly as Monegasque, forget Germany or Finland. No one really considers him as a German in the fan base.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

If we go, it'll be for three weeks. Car hire is pretty cheap! Accommodation is not. Fuel certainly is not!

As far as Invercargill, we'd just stay a night after driving from Dunedin. (Even have an itinerary! Purakaunui Falls Walk, Cathedral Caves if the tides work out McLean Falls, Curio Bay Cliffs, Waipapa Point Lighthouse, Cliffs at Fortrose) Then high tail it out, upwards to Te Anau, Queenstown, and Franz Josef Glacier.

No F1 drivers from that part of the world!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yes EB, you are correct. I almost forgot about it, since that era is associated with MB's development - march to the front. Brawn actually credited Schumacher for his contribution (inherited by Hamilton), but after 2014 with major spec change, MB has not really supported development of German drivers. Rosberg is a special case. He has a German passport on mother's side, but he is Finnish through and through, living mostly as Monegasque, forget Germany or Finland. No one really considers him as a German in the fan base.
.... well he was German enough to step out of F1 as a driver to take over the role of expert Formula 1 pundit on German free-to-air television RTL, along with Timo Glock. It is a role his Father also held and he mentioned it as a continuation of a family tradition. Im sure there was a financial incentive but....

I know he is to all intents and purposes a resident of both Monaco and Ibiza, (his wifes business operates in Ibiza) and very little of his time growing up was spent in Germany but he does support Bayern Munich! :haha:

As for being Finnish through and through, he has never lived in Finland and, deliberately, never even learnt to learn to speak Finnish, although he is fluent in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. :wink:

As an aside I always thought Keke himself became quite anti Finnish after issues with Finnish media. (Maybe not anti Finnish but certainly did not like the way the Finnish media portrayed him). Im sure someone from that part of the world is better qualified than I to confirm/deny what is beyond just my personal understanding. (from over 15000 klms away!)

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I used to spend 1 week in 6 in NZ for work, mostly North Island but South Island a couple of times a year. It is very pretty and I liked Christchurch (it was pre Earthquake though, no idea what its like now).... but Invercargill, other than some nice Art Deco buildings is bloody freezing and way out of my comfort zones. I do remember visiting a good old car bike and truck museum there though. Interesting toilets there as well.

I have relatives in New Zealand as it goes. My great grandmother left her family here and went there, she took one of her kids with her, another was sent out to live with her later on. My grandfather stayed here. I've never visited there. One of our relatives came visiting when he was playing for the All Blacks (Bruce McLeod). It does look like a lovely country I have to say. :cool:

Back to topic,

I am sure Perez is happy with his shiny new contract. He's been allowed his win, I can't see him getting the chance of another one this year unless Max doesn't stand a chance of winning.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Mick may not be that good, but it's a bit harsh to say he's near the end of his career.
Actually, he will be lucky if he gets one more year. If you can't measure up to Magnussen, then.....
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 1 year ago Back to topic,

I am sure Perez is happy with his shiny new contract. He's been allowed his win, I can't see him getting the chance of another one this year unless Max doesn't stand a chance of winning.
Noted and suspect that is the case. Red Bull is absolutely the worst team out there when it comes to having clear #1 and #2 drivers and they have been that way for well over a decade.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Kai-Star »

If we go, it'll be for three weeks. Car hire is pretty cheap! Accommodation is not. Fuel certainly is not!

As far as Invercargill, we'd just stay a night after driving from Dunedin. (Even have an itinerary! Purakaunui Falls Walk, Cathedral Caves if the tides work out McLean Falls, Curio Bay Cliffs, Waipapa Point Lighthouse, Cliffs at Fortrose) Then high tail it out, upwards to Te Anau, Queenstown, and Franz Josef Glacier.

No F1 drivers from that part of the world!
Nice itinerary. Enjoy.

Have we got a travelling page? Probably should start one. I spent about 10 years travelling, pre-kids, wife. house, mortgage, etc.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Kai-Star »

Yeah I visited that museum too. The botanic gardens park was very nice. I was there on the weekend and nothing much was open and it was incredibly lifeless. That along with the feeling that this place would be dark and miserable in winter made me think it really was the ass-end of NZ.
Joann Villeneuve