Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Silly Season 2022

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Yes I know we are only a few races into the season, but the transfer market is already active for next year....

.... well, not so much a transfer, but to do with the driver market so here we go.

Lando Norris has signed a long term deal that will keep him at McLaren for the next couple of years at least. His contract was due to expire at the end of the year, but the team announced on Wednesday ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix that a new multi-year deal had been secured.

The deal will see Norris remain with McLaren for “2022 and beyond”, firming up the team’s line-up for the next two seasons.

Norris was joined by Danny Ric the 2021 season, with the DR's contract running to the end of the 2023 season.

In other news Valtteri Bottas believes the Formula 1 summer break would be a "good deadline" to get a decision on his future with Mercedes and stop it becoming a distraction. Who is he kidding? Surely he must know in his blood where his Merc career is going. Surely he cant get another year.

On the subject of the Merc #2 seat George Russell has stated that he wants a multi-year deal with whichever team he races for next year.
As with Bottas surely that one is in the bag. What money on a Bottas Russell switcheroo with Bottas returning to Williams.?

Of course after all the games of this year with the procrastination of "Will I wont I" Lewis in what we all knew was going to happen, is saying he wants his future sorted earlier than last year, which was actually this year. We all know he wont go anywhere. Why should he?Its not like he will go and drive for another team.... that would be nuts given his future post racing will be very comfortable as a Mercedes Ambassador with all the trimmings and lifestyle that goes with that.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Mercedes should just sign Russell and announce it in June, then state they'll announce their other driver in September when they return from the summer break.

No bullshit from Lewis, and time to resign Bottas as an insurance policy.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Mercedes should just sign Russell and announce it in June, then state they'll announce their other driver in September when they return from the summer break.

Works for me.

*Make it happen noises*

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Mercedes should just sign Russell and announce it in June, then state they'll announce their other driver in September when they return from the summer break.

Hammy has already said he wants to sign a new deal.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@erwingreven I took the liberty of copying your post re Bottas' future into this thread where his future has already been discussed. :wink: (Feel free to delete it if you don't agree)
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago @erwingreven I took the liberty of copying your post re Bottas' future into this thread where his future has already been discussed. :wink: (Feel free to delete it if you don't agree)
Np. I was not sure where to post. Because i was not sure if it is for 2022, but where do you put it then?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago @erwingreven I took the liberty of copying your post re Bottas' future into this thread where his future has already been discussed. :wink: (Feel free to delete it if you don't agree)
Np. I was not sure where to post. Because its not for 2022, but where do you put it then?
I worked on the basis that it refers to 2022 season. (I presume they are taking of next year rather than some time this, primarily because of the mention of Lewis. He obviously is not about to leave mid season. .)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Williams hints at Russell departure

No real surprise here given what we know or suspected to be the case with George Russell, but Williams boss Jost Capito has hinted that he doesn’t expect his team to keep hold of George next season. (Both Russell's Williams and Bottas' Mercedes icontracts are up at the end of this season. With Russell on the books as part of the Mercedes driver development programme, a permanent move to MB has long been rumoured. Strengthened last year by George stepping in at MB for Lewis Hamilton at Bahrain and making his mark.

When pushed for more details Capito said
“You can’t ask me that,” Capito said when asked about Russell’s future with Williams.

“I think that, you know, George is a Mercedes driver for many years and I don’t think that they will let him go.

“But we will see, we’ve got time to talk about drivers. We are not in a need now to discuss that.”
Maybe Lewis will have some say in the matter and veto George , preferring a non threatening Bottas to continue over an eager to impress young charger.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Where do people think Bottas would go if he was dropped by Merc?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Toto has said however that he doesn't want two drivers with a team leader mentality. So in that sense it makes sense to stick with Bottas. But that would essentially mean a pissed off George who is not planning on doing yet another year with Williams. Which puts Mercedes in a sticky situation - Hamilton doesn't have that many years left and I'm sure that Mercedes isn't too keen on placing George in the open market. But where would he go? Red Bull? Does he event want to be a Red Bull driver? Ferrari? Sainz isn't a complete tool and I think CZ and CLAP are a good duo.

The dominoes will start to fall when Mercedes decides on their second car.

I would have liked to see Gasly in Alpine rather than having Alonso filling that season for yet another season but that's not likely to happen, I guess. Which begs the question, where is Gasly heading? Ricciardo is on a multi year deal I think but if he continues to stink I can see him being bought out. No one in their right mind wants to be in Haas or Alfa. Aston Martin maybe, but if Vettel finds his feet there I can see him sticking around alongside Stroll, who we both know ain't going anywhere.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

John wrote: 2 years ago Toto has said however that he doesn't want two drivers with a team leader mentality. So in that sense it makes sense to stick with Bottas. But that would essentially mean a pissed off George who is not planning on doing yet another year with Williams. Which puts Mercedes in a sticky situation - Hamilton doesn't have that many years left and I'm sure that Mercedes isn't too keen on placing George in the open market. But where would he go? Red Bull? Does he event want to be a Red Bull driver? Ferrari? Sainz isn't a complete tool and I think CZ and CLAP are a good duo.

The dominoes will start to fall when Mercedes decides on their second car.

I would have liked to see Gasly in Alpine rather than having Alonso filling that season for yet another season but that's not likely to happen, I guess. Which begs the question, where is Gasly heading? Ricciardo is on a multi year deal I think but if he continues to stink I can see him being bought out. No one in their right mind wants to be in Haas or Alfa. Aston Martin maybe, but if Vettel finds his feet there I can see him sticking around alongside Stroll, who we both know ain't going anywhere.
Basically, if I can see anyone lead Mercedes through the next big rules shake-up (2022 onwards), it's Russell. Just like Hamilton led them through the V6 hybrid era. Despite Toto's comments about not wanting two drivers with a team leader mentality, I honestly can't see Hamilton sticking around for more than a year or two max. He's getting old, he's bagged every record there is, so the only thing driving him on at this point is the love of racing and/or love of money. Russell on the other hand is young, hungry and really talented and the best person to lead Mercedes through the coming years.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Where do people think Bottas would go if he was dropped by Merc?
Straight swap with George and back to WIlliams!
Or retirement. (Mind you he is only 31.)

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Indycar, sports cars perhaps? I can't see him spending a few years racing that Williams shit box after he's been in the Mercedes.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

John wrote: 2 years ago Indycar, sports cars perhaps? I can't see him spending a few years racing that Williams shit box after he's been in the Mercedes.
I would assume that financially, you'd still make a lot more in a mid-pack F1 team than in Indycar. Besides, Vettel took a step down and he seems to be having fun, without the pressures of being in a top team, and same with Kimi. THat would be even more so for Bottas, who clearly lacks the skills to be at a top team were it not for Hamilton's requirement of a rear-gunner, and would be much more comfortable in a car more befitting his talents, such as the Williams.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 2 years ago Indycar, sports cars perhaps? I can't see him spending a few years racing that Williams shit box after he's been in the Mercedes.
I know that #2 Rubens ended up in Indycar, but he's older school. I don't see #2 Bottas as an older school racer who is willing to face some danger. I see him as a more pampered console generation type.

I think he'd end up in sports cars.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion