Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

John wrote: 2 years ago Indycar, sports cars perhaps? I can't see him spending a few years racing that Williams shit box after he's been in the Mercedes.
I know that #2 Rubens ended up in Indycar, but he's older school. I don't see #2 Bottas as an older school racer who is willing to face some danger. I see him as a more pampered console generation type.

I think he'd end up in sports cars.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote: 2 years ago
John wrote: 2 years ago Indycar, sports cars perhaps? I can't see him spending a few years racing that Williams shit box after he's been in the Mercedes.
I would assume that financially, you'd still make a lot more in a mid-pack F1 team than in Indycar. Besides, Vettel took a step down and he seems to be having fun, without the pressures of being in a top team, and same with Kimi. THat would be even more so for Bottas, who clearly lacks the skills to be at a top team were it not for Hamilton's requirement of a rear-gunner, and would be much more comfortable in a car more befitting his talents, such as the Williams.
I doubt it's about the money for VB. I think WESC is the likely outcome - or maybe some sort of Grosjean Indycar arrangement. He's still an athlete and it will be about what he's motivated to do in the end.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

John wrote: 2 years ago Toto has said however that he doesn't want two drivers with a team leader mentality. So in that sense it makes sense to stick with Bottas. But that would essentially mean a pissed off George who is not planning on doing yet another year with Williams. Which puts Mercedes in a sticky situation - Hamilton doesn't have that many years left and I'm sure that Mercedes isn't too keen on placing George in the open market. But where would he go? Red Bull? Does he event want to be a Red Bull driver? Ferrari? Sainz isn't a complete tool and I think CZ and CLAP are a good duo.

The dominoes will start to fall when Mercedes decides on their second car.

I would have liked to see Gasly in Alpine rather than having Alonso filling that season for yet another season but that's not likely to happen, I guess. Which begs the question, where is Gasly heading? Ricciardo is on a multi year deal I think but if he continues to stink I can see him being bought out. No one in their right mind wants to be in Haas or Alfa. Aston Martin maybe, but if Vettel finds his feet there I can see him sticking around alongside Stroll, who we both know ain't going anywhere.
Why can't George be the number 2 to Hamilton? As Lewis moves into the twilight of his career, I think he would be the best teacher for young George. And we know George isn't going to beat Lewis right away. But he will be more of a challenge than Bottas is at the moment and deliver stronger results. I think deep down we all know that.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

We all knew that Hamilton would be #2 to Alonso.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago We all knew that Hamilton would be #2 to Alonso.
Yeah.... until Lewis led Fernando into T1 at Albert Park on debut! ISTR they had a bit of an issue at Monaco later in that season, with Lewis claiming Fernando was holding him up and questioning / arguing team orders... or something along those lines.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I have zero doubts that GR would head into Mercedes with the ambition of doing everything he could possibly do to dethrone Hamilton.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

John wrote: 2 years ago I have zero doubts that GR would head into Mercedes with the ambition of doing everything he could possibly do to dethrone Hamilton.
I tend to agree.... especially after the headline I have just seen regarding an Autosport podcast with George in which he seems to be suggesting he is ready to be a World Champion. (I have not listened to the podcast but going from the headline that goes with it....
Autosport Podcast: Why Russell believes he's ready to be an F1 world champion

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

John wrote: 2 years ago I have zero doubts that GR would head into Mercedes with the ambition of doing everything he could possibly do to dethrone Hamilton.
He is a race car driver that is what he should do. It is why I don’t have a lot of respect for Barrichello.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
He is a race car driver that is what he should do. It is why I don’t have a lot of respect for Barrichello.
In the case of Twobens and Bottas that's a different story. They were so clearly a No.2 driver. The skill gap between them and Schuey/Hamilton was insurmountable.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

John wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
In the case of Twobens and Bottas that's a different story. They were so clearly a No.2 driver. The skill gap between them and Schuey/Hamilton was insurmountable.
But Barrichello kind of gave up and went along with it. I think he lost his edge over time. When given a car that could win a world championship (the Brawn), the tank was empty. At least Bottas tries to wind up himself up each season to try to take on Hamilton, not that he will succeed.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Ocon signs a 3 year extension of his contract with Alpine.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 3g8NM.html
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago Ocon signs a 3 year extension of his contract with Alpine.
Good. I am glad he has a home. Now we shall see just how good he is. I gather this means that Gasly will have to wait until Fernando retires again before he can get a seat away from the overbearing Dr. Marko (who would make a perfect Bond villain).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago Ocon signs a 3 year extension of his contract with Alpine.
Alpine boss Laurent Rossi has clarified there are no exit clauses within Esteban Ocon’s new three-year Formula 1 contract that would allow Mercedes to sign him and pull him out of Alpine to drive for Mercedes. Not until after end 2024 when his Alpine contract expires.

On the subject of who will drive for Mercedes next year....

Toto Wolff has today stated he is in no rush to make a decision on the 2nd driver, and indeed may not make that decision before the end of the season. Indeed it could be later than that..... Asked about when there could be news, Wolff said: “Somewhere in the winter I think. But I don't know if it's December, January or February.”

The same timing does not apply to the #1 seat, and to that end Toto wants to put a deal to bed with Lewis prior to or during the summer break.

I think such a delay in the #2 seat would be damaging to both Russell and Bottas who are obviously both out of contract come season end. Such a late decision from Mercedes is going to leave one of them with minimal options for their next contract. I would be pissed if I was George Russell and was told in February "oh we are going to be loyal to Bottas (and Lewis is happier with him as #2 than some ambitious wannabee) so sorry no deal." And likewise, Bottas should he be told in Feb. that George has the Merc seat, his only option would be to return to Williams. Or retire.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

So much for yesterday's chatter that it'd be confirmed as GR at Silverstone
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago So much for yesterday's chatter that it'd be confirmed as GR at Silverstone
Except, today Toto Wolff admitted his Winter decision comments were a media windup!

Speaking after qualifying today, Toto revealed that he had actually been joking when he made the comments about waiting until Winter to make the call..

He suggested he had said it as a means of hoping to stop being asked repeated questions about the timing of the driver call.

“Yes, it was a wind up," he said. "Because you get asked this question so, so often."

But although Wolff may not then wait until the winter, he has indicated that he still wants to take a bit more time to decide what to do because he needs to make the right call.

So, unlikely the internet Silverstone rumour will happen, but it may not be that long..... Maybe we need Bottas to plough into Lewis at T1 tomorrow and put him in the wall. That might finally convince Toto to make the obvious call.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Alpine boss Laurent Rossi has clarified there are no exit clauses within Esteban Ocon’s new three-year Formula 1 contract that would allow Mercedes to sign him and pull him out of Alpine to drive for Mercedes. Not until after end 2024 when his Alpine contract expires.
I think this is pretty significant. Thanks.