Worst permanent track on the schedule?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Did you guys see this: https://www.grandprix.com/news/f1-not-r ... e-axe.html

Russell (GPDA) is talking about taking out the final chicane.
Replace it with that chicane Jody Scheckter designed for Zandvoort years ago. Proper drivers chicane that was ;)
Which one was that?

Psml :haha:
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I thought of Sochi instantly but it's not a permanent circuit so I'll go with Yas Marina. It's just lines drawn on a very expensive locality's parking lot.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

SB83 wrote: 2 years ago I thought of Sochi instantly but it's not a permanent circuit so I'll go with Yas Marina. It's just lines drawn on a very expensive locality's parking lot.
Drawing lines on large areas of asphalt has a very long history in motor racing tbf. With a bit of reprofiling I think Abu Dhabs could be pretty good. Get rid of the chicane between the two drs zones perhaps
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MiÑardi wrote: 2 years ago Turn 9 is a great corner, but you can't follow through it, so maybe just make it a flat out kink (using the older layout), and then have a long straight down into a tighter turn 10.
Fully agree that turn 9 causes a problem with these cars, and has for years and years. The run into turn 10 should be along enough to create passing, but it never has.

Out of the box thought... Why not tighten T9, make it a bit wider for different lines, and make it off-camber to punish getting the apex wrong?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Or open it up, so it's closer to the sweeping approach to the hairpin in Hockenheim.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

SB83 wrote: 2 years ago I thought of Sochi instantly but it's not a permanent circuit so I'll go with Yas Marina. It's just lines drawn on a very expensive locality's parking lot.
Drawing lines on large areas of asphalt has a very long history in motor racing tbf. With a bit of reprofiling I think Abu Dhabs could be pretty good. Get rid of the chicane between the two drs zones perhaps
Doesn't mean it's a good history though, is it? Basically, it means a circuit devoid of any meaningful undulations - cambers, crowns, crests and all that good stuff that keeps the circuit from being a start-stop affair and adds layers of additional variables for the driver and engineer to deal with. Not to mention such circuits with lines drawn on large areas of asphalt usually offer no penalty for veering off said lines as it's just more asphalt, resulting in artificially-enforced track limit penalties.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

SB83 wrote: 2 years ago
Doesn't mean it's a good history though, is it? Basically, it means a circuit devoid of any meaningful undulations - cambers, crowns, crests and all that good stuff that keeps the circuit from being a start-stop affair and adds layers of additional variables for the driver and engineer to deal with. Not to mention such circuits with lines drawn on large areas of asphalt usually offer no penalty for veering off said lines as it's just more asphalt, resulting in artificially-enforced track limit penalties.
Your post has inspired me to suggest Silverstone ;).
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Come to think of it, that's not a bad point, especially Silverstone post-war was basically lines drawn on an asphalt sea. But in its modern guise, Silverstone has decent amount of undulations for an airfield track, especially the old Bridge corner which I miss enormously, and the bit after Stowe. And it's still got some grass runoff in places, although fast reducing.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Come to think of it, that's not a bad point, especially Silverstone post-war was basically lines drawn on an asphalt sea. But in its modern guise, Silverstone has decent amount of undulations for an airfield track, especially the old Bridge corner which I miss enormously, and the bit after Stowe. And it's still got some grass runoff in places, although fast reducing.
Hardly bad compared to most, I was just always a brands fan. I always find it bizarre that it seems like the same circuit twice now, whenever I play codemasters
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Am I the only one who really hates Paul Ricard? Yes there are potential overtaking spots but honestly I don't understand the buzz around it
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago Am I the only one who really hates Paul Ricard? Yes there are potential overtaking spots but honestly I don't understand the buzz around it
It's flat, it's ugly.

If it had elevation and was a track surrounded by fields rather than 800 variations and runoff, I think it'd be very well loved.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Lets rank them as "top worst" tracks on the calendar!

1. Yas Marina
2. Chernobyl/Sochi
3. Paul Riccard
4. Catalunya
?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

If one of your favourite points of a circuit is one that is no longer used, it's not exactly a glowing review :mrgreen:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago Am I the only one who really hates Paul Ricard? Yes there are potential overtaking spots but honestly I don't understand the buzz around it
As it's historic I quite like it tbh. Be better with the straight of course. You could be overtaken and still have time to slipstream and get the place back

I love signes and the following corners on the game tbf
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Lets rank them as "top worst" tracks on the calendar!

1. Yas Marina
2. Chernobyl/Sochi
3. Paul Riccard
4. Catalunya
?
If you're including street circuits Singapore is just horrid. And Barca way worse than Paul Ricard
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Most hate Paul Ricard because the surroundings. But as a track it self its a great track.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."