F1 Aramco Gran Premio De España 2021 etc.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago Really need Perez up there too. Not looking capable at the moment

Puts a new light on all the other 'failed' RB drivers
He's getting better, but I still feel like he was signed up to RBR based on ONE good performance (them being so desperate to get rid of Albon they would have taken anyone at that point).
Which one was that? Russia? Turkey? Nurburging? Bahrain 1, Bahrain 2?
Bahrain 2. Were those others really that good?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

4th in Russia and Nurby, 2nd in Turkey, on for 3rd when the engine failed at Bahrain 1.

He had a slow start, with a penalty putting him behind Stroll in one race, and missing 2 with COVID. That put him at a disadvantage as he didn't get the updates (which Stroll promptly destroyed week in, week out) and still thrashed Stroll.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Those kinds of results almost felt expected given he was driving a pink Mercedes.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I think without Max the 2019 Merc could have looked like the 2nd best car last season. I like Perez and Bahrain was a great moment, but have never thought he looked special
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Again, doesn't make Lewis the greatest ever. Just means he's better than Bottas, which we've known and seen since 2017.
Can say he's the best of his generation though for the last 15 years. (Yes, yes, he hasn't had any other drivers to compare at Merc except Nico and Bottas, and neither are great. But all champions are enabled by their cars.)

He had a small overlap with Chin Snr at the twilight of his career. But regardless of how good or bad Michael was at the time, he didn't have the car to compare them.

The only lasting comparison, really, is against Vettel. And he's basically trashed his reputation more and more ever since Ricciardo arrived on the scene.

A bit depressing that Bottas has been a whipping boy for five years now though. Sigh.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Horner is saying that Perez needs to get himself more in the mix to stop giving Mercedes / Lewis options with strategy as they did last weekend.

If you look at the constructors points it is getting to be pretty much over. Ironically already Lewis has double Bottas points. Max more than double Perez.

1. Lewis HAMILTON 94
2. Max VERSTAPPEN 80
3. Valtteri BOTTAS 47
4. Lando NORRIS 41
5. Charles LECLERC 40
6. Sergio PEREZ 32

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Again, doesn't make Lewis the greatest ever. Just means he's better than Bottas, which we've known and seen since 2017.
Can say he's the best of his generation though for the last 15 years. (Yes, yes, he hasn't had any other drivers to compare at Merc except Nico and Bottas, and neither are great. But all champions are enabled by their cars.)

He had a small overlap with Chin Snr at the twilight of his career. But regardless of how good or bad Michael was at the time, he didn't have the car to compare them.

The only lasting comparison, really, is against Vettel. And he's basically trashed his reputation more and more ever since Ricciardo arrived on the scene.

A bit depressing that Bottas has been a whipping boy for five years now though. Sigh.
I don't believe he is though. I firmly believe that had Alonso been in the McLaren from 2008 and 2010-2012 then he may have won 1 or 2 titles, and I also believe that Alonso would have won EVERY title in the Merc if he'd been up against Rosberg and Bottas.

I'm not even an Alonso fan, but the point is out there - Alonso almost won titles in average cars, and could definitely have won in a better car.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

I don't believe he is though. I firmly believe that had Alonso been in the McLaren from 2008 and 2010-2012 then he may have won 1 or 2 titles, and I also believe that Alonso would have won EVERY title in the Merc if he'd been up against Rosberg and Bottas.

I'm not even an Alonso fan, but the point is out there - Alonso almost won titles in average cars, and could definitely have won in a better car.
If it wasn't for Alonso and Hamilton going head-to-head and him alllllmost losing to a rookie, I'd agree.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I let that pass because of the amount of shit going on behind the scenes.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

that Mercedes were in trouble pre-season was the biggest piece of made-up narrative that F1 has been dealt with in a while
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago that Mercedes were in trouble pre-season was the biggest piece of made-up narrative that F1 has been dealt with in a while
Not since... "Rain due in 10 minutes" :P.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

What about when Ferrari turned up and were half a second quicker in 2018 or 2019, and found themselves almost a second off at Melbourne?
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago What about when Ferrari turned up and were half a second quicker in 2018 or 2019, and found themselves almost a second off at Melbourne?
That was fantastical too.

To my eyes, it is Verstappen who is doing the hard work, being aggressive and going out on a limb with his driving.

Hamilton is in cruise mode, because his car allows him to be.

Bottas is on borrowed time at Mercedes and probably knows it, so he has no carrot to chase.

Perez had one poor race, he'll be on Verstappen's tail soon enough. Is it already forgotten that he already has charging from the back to 4th, outqualified Verstappen, and played the spoiler card on Mercedes already this year? Gasly and Albon was never even close to doing that, yet the spin is already that Horner "desperately needs" Perez in fight with Mercedes. That 2nd RBR seat seems hellishly toxic.

It may be closer in 2021, but it already stinks Mercedes (read Hamilton) walk over.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago It's 0.5-1s a lap faster, and I will not accept anybody saying he's having to work hard for victories other than round 1.
Yes, but is that because the Mercedes is 0.3 seconds faster and Hamilton is 0.2 seconds faster than Verstappen; or is it that the Mercedes is 0.7 seconds faster and Verstappen is 0.2 seconds faster than Hamilton?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago It's 0.5-1s a lap faster, and I will not accept anybody saying he's having to work hard for victories other than round 1.
Yes, but is that because the Mercedes is 0.3 seconds faster and Hamilton is 0.2 seconds faster than Verstappen; or is it that the Mercedes is 0.7 seconds faster and Verstappen is 0.2 seconds faster than Hamilton?
Or is it as Mercedes believe, that Red Bull’s deficit in races is down to it suffering higher rear tyre degradation, a factor that may not be as important at all Formula 1 tracks as it has recently.

Andrew Shovlin, MB's Engineering Director had this to say
“We are still not really at a stage where we go in thinking we’ve got a better race car or we are better at looking after the tyres,” he explained.

“It is actually quite hard to say what it was [in the Spanish GP]. We were able to sit behind them and, when you are the lead car and someone can sit on your gearbox for a whole stint, it is not normally good news.

“But we are still in the stage of the year where we are collecting data across the different tracks. But it does look to be a bit of a trend that maybe we have got a slightly more neutral car.

“Theirs seems to be a bit harder on the rear tyres over a stint whereas we are using both axles quite well. But we will see with some more data whether that is really a feature of the car or just how we are setting it up.”
What seems undeniable though, is that Red Bull are a lot closer this year than last.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Horner is saying that Perez needs to get himself more in the mix to stop giving Mercedes / Lewis options with strategy as they did last weekend.

If you look at the constructors points it is getting to be pretty much over. Ironically already Lewis has double Bottas points. Max more than double Perez.

1. Lewis HAMILTON 94
2. Max VERSTAPPEN 80
3. Valtteri BOTTAS 47
4. Lando NORRIS 41
5. Charles LECLERC 40
6. Sergio PEREZ 32

I gotta say, while I'd put my money on Mercedes before Red Bull, I certainly wouldn't say that it's pretty much over. Especially as Sergio may still be settling in with his new team.

It'll be hard for Red Bull, but I wouldn't be surprised if Perez began to bring it to Bottas.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015