Round 3: Poortugal Race thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 2 years ago I am lacking credible confirmation of this, but one source claimed that Vettel is paid only 5 MM per this season. That's not much...

This is interesting:

https://www.grandprix.com/news/vettel-h ... etter.html
Vettel hired to make Lance Stroll look better

Oh dear...
I had not heard the $5 M figure, in fact I have heard no figure at all. Not surprised, but it is not what he used to make.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago I said this both on TBK and here when the Vettel hire was announced - that's exactly the reason why Perez was replaced. He made Stroll look much worse than flamed out former champion Vettel would have. I guess the big name experts are following my logic too.
Yea, I don’t buy that argument. I do think Lawrence Stroll is very much a businessman even though he clearly has a soft spot for his kid.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago I said this both on TBK and here when the Vettel hire was announced - that's exactly the reason why Perez was replaced. He made Stroll look much worse than flamed out former champion Vettel would have. I guess the big name experts are following my logic too.
Yea, I don’t buy that argument. I do think Lawrence Stroll is very much a businessman even though he clearly has a soft spot for his kid.
He's made enough money elsewhere to treat F1 like a personal toy to keep his son happy/important/celebrity/whatever :tongue:

He's no different than Richard Branson getting the Virgin brand into F1.

Btw, Motorsport Total lists Vettel's salary as 5.5 M per year.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... ian-vettel

F1 Insider lists Vettel salary at similar range and gives extra details (1.3 Million Euro base salary & 4.2 Million as Aston Martin brand ambassador).

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-gehalte ... hrer-2021/
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
rortega
Favourite Motorsport: World Rally Championship
Favourite Driver: Carlos Sainz
Favourite Circuit: Jerez

Post by rortega »

Happy to see my team Williams making some progress. Ricciardo disappointing again
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Vettel's income this year is being quoted all over the place. I've heard figures like 5 MM, but also 15 MM. Hard to tell without reading his actual contract. Then is it with, or without bonuses, and is it net income paid by the team, or it includes his personal sponsorship, etc.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago He's made enough money elsewhere to treat F1 like a personal toy to keep his son happy/important/celebrity/whatever :tongue:
Yea, my suspicion is that he understands that his son is not really a world class driver... so at some point the realist sets in (and most successful businessmen are very much realists). The "realist" in him is probably looking for Lance Stroll to take over the F1 team when he has finished his driving career.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago Vettel's income this year is being quoted all over the place. I've heard figures like 5 MM, but also 15 MM. Hard to tell without reading his actual contract. Then is it with, or without bonuses, and is it net income paid by the team, or it includes his personal sponsorship, etc.
Quoted all over the place, either 5 MM or 15 MM.... So everyone is just guessing. Does anyone actually know? At $15 M I can understand why Vettel is tooling around with a middle of the pack team supporting a billionaire's son. At $5 M I can understand why they hired Vettel.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

He certainly took a huge drop in his retainer from his Ferrari days,, but lets face it he was kicked out of Ferrari at a time when there were zero decent vacancies and his personal stock was at all all time low.

Also there were many other factors that had to be reflected in his AM salary offer. AM/RP had to pay Perez out of his contract which is said to have cost $9 Million.... there was also the loss of $15 Million worth of Perez related sponsorship (the "Mexican Money"). So to give him a seat cost them best part of $25million before they even looked at his wage.

On top of that its not like he had many options, and a year out or retirement were his only other one . AM/RP had more options.... Hulk, or keeping Perez so the cards were firmly in the team's favour when it came to options.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

In my recollection (and it has been awhile), from the same source, Hamilton was at 30 MM, Verstappen 25 MM, Alonso (forgot, probably 20), and then DR and Vettel, both the same at 15 MM.

I didn't put any effort remembering those numbers only because they are really meaningless. Point is, everyone took pay cut.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Yea, some seasons you can miss a few races or more. We all have real lives.
sure but I'd do anything not to go to Tuscany and pay a visit to the inlaws, including watching a boring race :twothumbs:
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

I know everyone is bored with Bottas in that Mercedes seat but until Perez (or Norris or whoever) can continually knock him off the podium, Toto is going to keep him.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago Vettel's income this year is being quoted all over the place. I've heard figures like 5 MM, but also 15 MM. Hard to tell without reading his actual contract. Then is it with, or without bonuses, and is it net income paid by the team, or it includes his personal sponsorship, etc.
Quoted all over the place, either 5 MM or 15 MM.... So everyone is just guessing. Does anyone actually know? At $15 M I can understand why Vettel is tooling around with a middle of the pack team supporting a billionaire's son. At $5 M I can understand why they hired Vettel.
Yeah, without a contract it's just speculation.

But an explanation could be that the ~$15m figure would be inclusive of meeting performance goals (eg: X position in the championship/reaching X wins or podiums, etc), while the ~$5m might be the arrive and drive fee.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

German-speaking media should be more reliable here so I guess the 5-6 million range is more probable than 15.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...